PDA

View Full Version : Saco River T206s...

CMIZ5290
01-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Who discovered the "Saco River Find" of T206s? Does anyone know? I have seen many scans of the cards graded by SGC during this big auction, and some of them are laughable as far as the grades they were given (way over graded). I was just curious if anyone else also noticed this....

pgellis
01-21-2015, 04:13 PM
What does it matter who found them? Saco River Auctions (Troy) has already come on here and said that they (Saco River Auctions) were the ones who had them graded by SGC and paid for the grading too.

Peter_Spaeth
01-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Who discovered the "Saco River Find" of T206s? Does anyone know? I have seen many scans of the cards graded by SGC during this big auction, and some of them are laughable as far as the grades they were given (way over graded). I was just curious if anyone else also noticed this....

In my opinion SGC tolerates significantly more corner wear than PSA for a given grade, particularly in midgrade. I guess whether that's overgraded or a different grading scale is a matter of semantics.

CMIZ5290
01-21-2015, 04:19 PM
It seems like you got rubbed the wrong way Phil. I was simply asking a question....

iwantitiwinit
01-21-2015, 04:19 PM

I only won 2 cards but thought they were graded fairly.

pgellis
01-21-2015, 04:25 PM
It seems like you got rubbed the wrong way Phil. I was simply asking a question....

I'm just curious, what does it matter who found them?

CMIZ5290
01-21-2015, 04:28 PM
I'm just curious, what does it matter who found them?

Why are you curious about me being curious? You almost seem defensive, just forget the post will you?

pgellis
01-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Now who got rubbed the wrong way?

Donscards
01-21-2015, 04:32 PM
I was at the auction and if anything, I thought the cards were undergraded--the cards really jumped out at you---Beautiful color and nice corners etc. I really didnt think any cards were overgraded. I won 2 Ty Cobbs and was really pleased just to get those two. There were some very strong bidders at the auction and on the phones. It was fun spending some money and being there, wish I could have won a few more.

Fred
01-21-2015, 05:01 PM
I like to hear the story behind large finds. It's kind of neat to know a little bit about large collections of cards being uncovered/found. For example, the Oregon Find of OJs has a cool story to it.

William Todd
01-21-2015, 05:04 PM
I enjoyed seeing some original full sized vibrant cards. I didn't bid on any but I thought they were beautiful as did many of the bidders.

D.P.Johnson
01-21-2015, 05:06 PM
I don't believe they were found. I think the grandsons of the original owner simply co-signed them to SACO...

DerekMichael
01-21-2015, 05:13 PM
The EPDG's were pretty special in this auction.

Got me a Happy Jack :)

Runscott
01-21-2015, 05:26 PM
I was at the auction and if anything, I thought the cards were undergraded--the cards really jumped out at you---Beautiful color and nice corners etc. I really didnt think any cards were overgraded. I won 2 Ty Cobbs and was really pleased just to get those two. There were some very strong bidders at the auction and on the phones. It was fun spending some money and being there, wish I could have won a few more.

Don, do you work for Troy?

calvindog
01-21-2015, 05:34 PM
I thought the cards were graded fairly -- or even harshly for the one I bought.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7574/16326354885_35efff7b74_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qSGQvk)

Donscards
01-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Don, do you work for Troy?

Scott No I dont I have been selling cards since 1977 and I appreciate that I was lucky to go to the auction.

RGold
01-21-2015, 06:00 PM
When I previewed the auction, I only looked at the T206s graded SGC 70 or higher. I thought the cards looked fairly graded.

As I watched the auction, I was surprised to see how nice the SGC 60s and lower graded looked. In a lot of cases, I felt those cards had greater eye appeal than the higher graded ones. But alas, I was buying the labels not the cards, so I limited my bidding to the higher graded. :D:D:D

There were very few cards graded SGC 80 or near mint. The vast majority of the cards were mid grade. I can't quite understand how an unbiased collector could look at this group of cards and not see them as Excellent.

Peter_Spaeth
01-21-2015, 06:15 PM
When I previewed the auction, I only looked at the T206s graded SGC 70 or higher. I thought the cards looked fairly graded.

As I watched the auction, I was surprised to see how nice the SGC 60s and lower graded looked. In a lot of cases, I felt those cards had greater eye appeal than the higher graded ones. But alas, I was buying the labels not the cards, so I limited my bidding to the higher graded. :D:D:D

There were very few cards graded SGC 80 or near mint. The vast majority of the cards were mid grade. I can't quite understand how an unbiased collector could look at this group of cards and not see them as Excellent.

pon·tif·i·cate

verb

verb: pontificate; 3rd person present: pontificates; past tense: pontificated; past participle: pontificated; gerund or present participle: pontificating

/pänˈtifiˌkāt/

1. (in the Roman Catholic Church) officiate as bishop, especially at Mass.

2. express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic.
"he was pontificating about art and history"

RGold
01-21-2015, 06:26 PM
What da Pope got to do with it, do with it? :D:D:D

pon·tif·i·cate

verb

verb: pontificate; 3rd person present: pontificates; past tense: pontificated; past participle: pontificated; gerund or present participle: pontificating

/pänˈtifiˌkāt/

1. (in the Roman Catholic Church) officiate as bishop, especially at Mass.

2. express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic.
"he was pontificating about art and history"

Vol
01-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Received my cards today from Saco. I am very pleased with the whole deal.

Almost surprised that SGC did not make a "Portland Trove" designation
on the flips.

Kevin, here is an article that you might have not seen.
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/01/16/rare-portland-trove-early-baseball-cards-go-under-hammer/

CW
01-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Great pickup, Jeff, and thanks for sharing the quality scan.

I remember hearing about this auction when the cards were discovered, but had no clue about the auction going down. Congrats to the winners.

T206.org
01-22-2015, 11:21 AM
Received my cards today from Saco. I am very pleased with the whole deal.

Almost surprised that SGC did not make a "Portland Trove" designation
on the flips.

+1 on both of those things.
If anything, I felt like many of them were under-gradeded.

Mine came today - they sure are beauties!

pgellis
01-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Nice cards Trae!

Were those 3 graded? And if yes, what were there respective grades?

T206.org
01-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Thank you, Phil!

Yep, they are as-follows:
Hallman: SGC 55
Wagner: SGC 50
Dunn: SGC 70

(ever so slightly soft corners, but no surprises on the backs that I can see)