PDA

View Full Version : Is 5k too much?

iwantitiwinit
01-19-2015, 03:26 PM
First one I've seen on ebay for quite awhile. Will it sell for 5k?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-DRUM-Hooks-Wiltse-PSA-/181644555693?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a4adbf5ad

111gecko
01-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Thought you were talking about a run...the answer would have been yes..my bad.:rolleyes:

T206.org
01-19-2015, 03:41 PM
I don't think it will sell for $5k.

Bigb13
01-19-2015, 03:43 PM
No I don't think so

ullmandds
01-19-2015, 03:49 PM
maybe?

wolf441
01-19-2015, 03:55 PM
It's interesting. I don't think it will sell BInNfor $5K, but I bet if he listed it as a straight $0.99 auction with no reserve, it would come close to $5K.

iwantitiwinit
01-19-2015, 03:59 PM
It's interesting. I don't think it will sell BInNfor $5K, but I bet if he listed it as a straight $0.99 auction with no reserve, it would come close to $5K.

I agree, but does he have the stones to put it out there as a straight .99 auction with no reserve?

Bigb13
01-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Probably not

DerekMichael
01-19-2015, 04:01 PM
I do not think it will sell for $5k either.

The reason I say this is because it belongs to me, and anyone who knows me and has dealt with me through Ebay knows that I will give a nice discount when eliminating the Ebay and Paypal fees.

Just my two cents ...

iwantitiwinit
01-19-2015, 04:14 PM

The reason I say this is because it belongs to me, and anyone who knows me and has dealt with me through Ebay knows that I will give a nice discount when eliminating the Ebay and Paypal fees.

Just my two cents ...

Good to know thanks Derek, good luck with the sale. It's a nice card.

Sean
01-19-2015, 04:25 PM
I don't think $5,000 is a bad price. I paid more that that for a Street/ Drum that was graded PSA 2. Of course I was doing a Street back run and really needed the card.
If you want a Drum, I think that it's a fair price. If you wait to find a cheaper Drum, you'll probably end up with one in poor condition.

ullmandds
01-19-2015, 04:35 PM
I don't think $5,000 is a bad price. I paid more that that for a Street/ Drum that was graded PSA 2. Of course I was doing a Street back run and really needed the card.
If you want a Drum, I think that it's a fair price. If you wait to find a cheaper Drum, you'll probably end up with one in poor condition.

I kinda agree with this sentiment!

DerekMichael
01-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Again, it would be a shame if anyone clicked the "buy it now" button. They can save hundreds by sending a check and not waste their hard earned money lining Ebay's already ridiculously deep pockets.

Just saying ...

iwantitiwinit
01-19-2015, 04:40 PM

I also agree. I think of it like this there are 91 Magie's graded by PSA and a Magie in psa 1 is around 5k. There are a similar number of Drums graded by psa and this is a psa2 so I would think 5k is reasonable if not a bit inexpensive.

T206.org
01-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Again, it would be a shame if anyone clicked the "buy it now" button. They can save hundreds by sending a check and not waste their hard earned money lining Ebay's already ridiculously deep pockets.

Just saying ...

Cheers to that, Derek. Good luck with the sale.

frankbmd
01-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Some people need a drum more than others. Hi Derek.

insccollectibles
01-19-2015, 05:52 PM
5K on a drum 2 designation makes me realize I should quit collecting the back run will never be complete.

wolf441
01-19-2015, 05:55 PM

Just my two cents ...

Good luck Derek! I think you'll get close to $5K for it. Based on recent sales, that's not an unreasonable price.

DerekMichael
01-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Thank you for the kind words and well wishes gents. Hopefully a nice match can be found, but who knows.

Unlike Tommy Lee Jones, I do bargain.

Hi Doc :cool:

Jewish-collector
01-20-2015, 02:22 PM
I love it when a buyer/seller talks about a card for auction/sale and the seller/buyer is actually an active member of the forum too. Makes for great discussions !!!

freakhappy
01-20-2015, 05:56 PM
I love it when a buyer/seller talks about a card for auction/sale and the seller/buyer is actually an active member of the forum too. Makes for great discussions !!!

+1

It's almost like we go inside the collector's guild when this happens. Questions are answered and we find out more than we bargained for...plus Derek is a class act, so nothing less would be expected here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al C.risafulli
01-20-2015, 05:59 PM
I think $5K is entirely possible, given the infrequency that Drum backs make themselves available, and how much LESS frequently they become available outside an auction environment where a whale or two can drive the price.

Good luck with the sale!

-Al

joshleland
01-20-2015, 09:52 PM
Let me get this straight
Derek wants people to see it on eBay and then contact him directly so he can avoid the fees and save the buyer and himself some money because ebay already has too much money
And you're all cheering him on
Josh Evans

freakhappy
01-20-2015, 11:49 PM
Let me get this straight

Derek wants people to see it on eBay and then contact him directly so he can avoid the fees and save the buyer and himself some money because ebay already has too much money

Josh Evans

I think it just has to do with avoiding the middle man and saving money...really smart if you ask me and several others. eBay has a way of letting buyers get over on sellers, so that could be one less thing to deal with also.

If your message was tongue-in-cheek, josh...disregard this reply.

iwantitiwinit
01-21-2015, 05:36 AM
Let me get this straight
Josh Evans

Absolutely not Josh! I happened to see this card on ebay and given that its rare to see a Drum, simply started a thread to discuss how much people anticipate it will sell for. I do not know Derek, nor did I solicit comments from someone selling the card. How could Derek have known someone would discuss this card.

I for one am glad he chimed in though it makes things fun.

MVSNYC
01-21-2015, 05:44 AM
FWIW, I was the owner of this Drum prior to Derek. He traded me about $5k worth of cards for it, so I'd place the value there at a minimum.

Best-
MS

Paul S
01-21-2015, 06:58 AM
I think it just has to do with avoiding the middle man and saving money...really smart if you ask me and several others. eBay has a way of letting buyers get over on sellers, so that could be one less thing to deal with also.

If your message was tongue-in-cheek, josh...disregard this reply.

How is the middle man being avoided? The middle man's services are being utilized. Avoided = Evaded.

freakhappy
01-21-2015, 08:20 AM
How is the middle man being avoided? The middle man's services are being utilized. Avoided = Evaded.

By not using them in the end transaction...

It's been this way for a long time on eBay. Is it illegal? If it was a big deal to eBay, they would penalize you for taking the auction or BIN down. I know they don't want it to happen, but like I said in my original post...eBay seems to let the buyer rip the seller off and lie about a transaction. I'd feel a lot better if I could do a transaction on here vs eBay.

Paul S
01-21-2015, 09:33 AM
By not using them in the end transaction...

It's been this way for a long time on eBay. Is it illegal? If it was a big deal to eBay, they would penalize you for taking the auction or BIN down. I know they don't want it to happen, but like I said in my original post...eBay seems to let the buyer rip the seller off and lie about a transaction. I'd feel a lot better if I could do a transaction on here vs eBay.

I understand what you're saying. Is it illegal? I don't know, I don't have an ebay account but I assume it's in their contract: whether or not they chose to enforce it is up to them, and if a seller is working "between the lines" of the agreement there is some rationalized breach.

That's why (and I won't pretend to interpret what others write here) that I highly doubt that Josh's post - a few posts above - was "tongue in cheek", or could be otherwise construed, unless the person reading it is also rationalizing how to work the ebay "system". ebay and Lelands are in the same business. (although ebay is really a facilitator as opposed to an AH acting as an agent for a consignor).

slipk1068
01-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Just because Derek tries to sell the card on Ebay doesn't mean the card is now property of Ebay. If he chooses to sell it on the side, good for him.

I don't know if Ebay has "too much money." I do think they are a monopoly that charges excessive fees, but I guess it is better than the fees charged by some of these auction houses.

Paul S
01-21-2015, 09:50 AM
Just because Derek tries to sell the card on Ebay doesn't mean the card is now property of Ebay. If he chooses to sell it on the side, good for him.

I don't know if Ebay has "too much money." I do think they are a monopoly that charges excessive fees, but I guess it is better than the fees charged by some of these auction houses.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not moralizing or saying it is a good or bad thing for whatever he decides to do with his card. I am just discussing it for some personal edification. Nor do I care if ebay is Saint or Satan incarnate.

PM770
01-21-2015, 10:25 AM
The only way someone would know to contact him about the card for a sale off of Ebay is if they saw his post here.

So in that respect, Ebay wouldn't have provided the marketing and exposure necessary to sell his card. Net54 would have.

Now whether he owes Leon anything and/or Leon's pockets are full enough is another story;)

joshleland
01-21-2015, 11:30 AM
I was not being tongue in cheek but I don't blame you for questioning that as I am a good deal of the time
I am also not casting dispersions on Derek who I probably know by face or not but I am sure he is a good guy, doesn't beat his kids and is really doing nothing that God awful just tweaking the system as we all do from time to time
When I was a kid I used to eat the candy in bags that was already opened but never would open one myself
Is that bad, yes, but we all draw lines for ourselves
If what Derek is doing is as bad as that then Derek is not so bad
I just find it to be an interesting topic and sorry Derek if you feel maligned
I am sure you don't care that much and hope you take this all with a grain of salt

I just had two situations where I was ahout to bid on eBay to find the item taken down and probably sold to some idiot who plays the system and gets people to take things down prematurely which in my experience is almost never good for the seller
I find this to be sleazy but is it just me
Plus, I have had consignors and potential bidders who have waited out the auction, know the seller somehow, and contacted the seller and bought it directly to save the commission
It rarely happens and if I didn't get the price then that it is my fault so that's not so bad
So what is my point here , I don't really have one
I'm just shooting the breeze
I had a great auction and I'm loving the hobby right now
I like to talk to other guys on this and it's not as easy these days
I need to do a show
Couldn't do Hartford because I had the flu
I miss the comraderie and thrill of the chase
Josh

Mikehealer
01-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Let me get this straight
Josh Evans

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180508&highlight=lelands

frankh8147
01-21-2015, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=joshleland;1369727]I just had two situations where I was ahout to bid on eBay to find the item taken down and probably sold to some idiot who plays the system and gets people to take things down prematurely which in my experience is almost never good for the seller"

No horse in this race but it seems to me like you are angry that you keep getting outsmarted by 'idiots'....or am I reading this wrong?? About a year ago, I got a nice deal on an E121 Babe Ruth doing this and I gotta' tell you- I didn't feel like much of an idiot!

DerekMichael
01-21-2015, 12:48 PM
No hard feelings, of course. We are on the most entertaining baseball card forum that I know to exist, and I always expect to hear and see just about everything in my time here. I expect people to give their honest feedback.

I must say, however, that I did not advertise my card in any way that would suggest I prefer to go off of Ebay, and I had nothing to do with the creation of this thread. I simply commented when I saw the thread, and gave my fellow board members a heads up that clicking the "Buy It Now" is not necessary and that by doing so they would be wasting hundreds of their hard earned dollars.

Maybe it was not appropriate, maybe it really is ok. I guess that just comes down to someones personal opinion. I can say that the practice of listing on Ebay and ending the listing for a private sale is done routinely by various sellers, so the notion is not at all earth shattering in my eyes. Again, it is just one mans opinion.

Anyways, let it rip. I will be just fine.

Derek

Section103
01-21-2015, 12:59 PM
At the end of the day, there's nothing stopping someone from listing a BIN on eBay and a BIN here (or listed as "make an offer") on Net 54 at a lower price. It happens a lot and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

If the seller listed the card on eBay as an auction and tries to sell here, there is an inherent problem, but that's not what we're dealing with here.

PM770
01-21-2015, 01:40 PM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180508&highlight=lelands

Thanks for posting this link, Mike. I missed it the first time around.

Mikehealer
01-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Thanks for posting this link, Mike. I missed it the first time around.

Your welcome Paul.

1952boyntoncollector
01-21-2015, 04:54 PM
No hard feelings, of course. We are on the most entertaining baseball card forum that I know to exist, and I always expect to hear and see just about everything in my time here. I expect people to give their honest feedback.

I must say, however, that I did not advertise my card in any way that would suggest I prefer to go off of Ebay, and I had nothing to do with the creation of this thread. I simply commented when I saw the thread, and gave my fellow board members a heads up that clicking the "Buy It Now" is not necessary and that by doing so they would be wasting hundreds of their hard earned dollars.

Maybe it was not appropriate, maybe it really is ok. I guess that just comes down to someones personal opinion. I can say that the practice of listing on Ebay and ending the listing for a private sale is done routinely by various sellers, so the notion is not at all earth shattering in my eyes. Again, it is just one mans opinion.

Anyways, let it rip. I will be just fine.

Derek

Ebay actually has a listed reason to take down an item early as 'item no longer available' I think ebay assume people can be trying to sell the card as well off ebay....I see ZERO problem selling a card off ebay...again ebay provides ebay protections and etc that are lost in direct transactions...to each their own...

PowderedH2O
01-24-2015, 04:48 PM
One of the largest sellers of PSA graded cards is 4SharpCorners. Virtually every card they sell is listed on ebay. They also have their own site and the listings are the same, but usually about 5-10% cheaper and the shipping is significantly lower than on ebay. I've seen cards on ebay that I wanted then went to their site to save a few bucks. Ebay gets nothing. I am sure there are many other merchants that operate the same way. Good luck with your sale Derek.

Leon
01-30-2015, 02:07 PM
First one I've seen on ebay for quite awhile. Will it sell for 5k?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-DRUM-Hooks-Wiltse-PSA-/181644555693?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a4adbf5ad

Wonder if it sold? In today's climate it didn't seem like a high asking price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-DRUM-Hooks-Wiltse-PSA-/181644555693?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a4adbf5ad&rmvSB=true

freakhappy
01-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Wonder if it sold? In today's climate it didn't seem like a high asking price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-DRUM-Hooks-Wiltse-PSA-/181644555693?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a4adbf5ad&rmvSB=true

I was wondering the same thing earlier when I saw it was pulled. I'm very curious and want to know! :eek::)

Leon
02-02-2015, 08:40 AM
I was wondering the same thing earlier when I saw it was pulled. I'm very curious and want to know! :eek::)

Maybe if we keep asking? Anyway, I have seen several Drums fly past 5k nowadays. Actually, most of them I think....

1952boyntoncollector
02-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Maybe if we keep asking? Anyway, I have seen several Drums fly past 5k nowadays. Actually, most of them I think....

I have pulled cards from ebay when have lots and lots of watchers..hoping that someone will contact me to see if I still have the card and make an offer outside ebay ..especially big money cards...it seems when people think the card may be sold and have some remorse for not trying to buy it when listed they sometimes offer more than they would have before I pulled it...its psychological....

DerekMichael
02-02-2015, 10:40 AM
I have pulled cards from ebay when have lots and lots of watchers..hoping that someone will contact me to see if I still have the card and make an offer outside ebay ..especially big money cards...it seems when people think the card may be sold and have some remorse for not trying to buy it when listed they sometimes offer more than they would have before I pulled it...its psychological....

Sorry for the delay. Just saw this. The above is incorrect.

The card will be going to auction, so the T206 community can decide what it is worth.

Thank you.

freakhappy
02-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Sorry for the delay. Just saw this. The above is incorrect.

The card will be going to auction, so the T206 community can decide what it is worth.

Thank you.

Sweet...thanks for the update, Derek! And good luck on the sale!

Sean1125
02-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Derek is always a pleasure to deal with. Best of luck

ullmandds
02-02-2015, 05:31 PM
IT is starting to look like...5K was not enough!!!!