PDA

View Full Version : Help on authentic graded card values

whelenfan
01-15-2015, 08:47 PM
How do I value a "authentic" graded card? Do I disregard the authentic and give a fair assessment of what it really looks like, ala "buy the card, not the holder"? If the card looks to be an honest sgc 60 EX (other than being trimmed), is it appropriate to value it that high?

freakhappy
01-16-2015, 01:22 AM
How do I value a "authentic" graded card? Do I disregard the authentic and give a fair assessment of what it really looks like, ala "buy the card, not the holder"? If the card looks to be an honest sgc 60 EX (other than being trimmed), is it appropriate to value it that high?

Hey Michael,

I think this can be a tricky question, but unless it's a super rare or hard to come by card, the value usually doesn't climb to "like grades". Honestly, it goes on the buyer. If you want a great looking card, but can't afford high end cardboard, finding one that's been trimmed or altered that has great appeal might be for you. Most people seem to despise authentic graded cards, but they don't bother everyone and most of the time you can get them on the cheap or at least cheaper than their unaltered counterparts.

The best way to find past sales is to check eBay and compare and also go to cardtarget.com, but that may depend on whether you are collecting a set they are currently tracking. You can also view pictures of most of their cards...so that's a bonus.

Good luck!

glynparson
01-16-2015, 02:39 AM
is no. A card in an a holder that looks exmt does not sell for the exmt price. If it is nice looking it may sell for more than a 1 or 2 but an ugly A will usually sell for less than a 1 or 2.

bobbyw8469
01-16-2015, 04:32 AM
Nice looking A's usually bring a premium. I have personally sent 'A' cards out to other graders and gotten numeric grades. I think it brings out the gambler in people. I have also seen nice looking 'A' cards get cracked out and sold raw and bring STUPID high money! Think battlefield, Great Lakes, et al.

KCRfan1
01-16-2015, 05:13 AM
Personally, it would depend on what " flaw " the card has that caused the authentic grade. Trimming can be obvious as we can measure the card. However, others may not be so obvious. For example, any recoloring or trying to remove or smooth out a slight card crease will also bring an authentic grade. I bought an authentic grade once. The card measured fine, and I cannot tell why the card was graded as such. I saved about 40% off the price as well! :D So, an authentic grade does not bother me unless it is trimmed, then I am likely to pass. And I will never pay a numerical grade price for one that received an authentic grade. I will agree with Bob, that some nice looking authentics will bring great prices due to condition, the player name, and rarity of the card.

Bigb13
01-16-2015, 05:20 AM

Bigb13
01-16-2015, 05:21 AM

whelenfan
01-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Thanks everyone. That is pretty much what I thought, but just like to hear it from people that I trust.

I don't mind "authentic" graded cards and hope to see more come my way. It gives me a chance to get a more expensive card at possibly a cheaper price.

As an aside, I just cracked my slabbed t205 "authentic" Grant to "let him breath" a bit!