PDA

View Full Version : You get a fake Ruth, and YOU get a fake Ruth, and ...

Cozumeleno
01-15-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure if the board even cares about these things (if not, I'll avoid them in the future), but since I noticed some other posts of fake Ruth Goudeys, I figured I'd throw this one out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-Babe-Ruth-New-York-Yankees-181-Baseball-Card-/201265300801?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2edc58c541

For most of you, this is probably easy to spot if for nothing more than the typical 'I don't know about this so I'm listing it cheap' warning label. But this is a poorly-faked Ruth card with all kinds of issues such as the blurry lettering in the name, overly glossy finish (seen particularly around the name), and the tinged black edges on the back. I actually bought a common that was produced like this in the past just to show it to people and it demonstrates the exact same characteristics. In your hand, they actually feel like half the weight, too.

My favorite is that it was examined by 'the local card shop' and they said the paper felt right. Like any dealer that has managed to still maintain a brick and mortar shop in this day and age would not be falling over himself to buy it for $350 if he/she thought it was authentic.

Like I said, the information I posted surely isn't new to like 99% of you guys, but I wanted to share even if it saves one person from spending money on this junk. Someone is 'watching' the item and I hope it's just someone doing so to see if eBay will yank it or not.

Cozumeleno
01-15-2015, 01:52 PM
I should also add that the edges of the red border at the bottom being torn is usually a telltale sign as well since they aren't supposed to line up exactly with the picture's border.

Dave Farquhar
01-15-2015, 05:48 PM
There seem to be a lot of fake Ruths out there. I tried to buy a 1935, got one for what seemed to be a pretty good price for the condition, but when I got it, it just didn't seem right. I sent some scans to some people I trusted and got opinions that it looked authentic, but the card stock was way too thin, and I'm still convinced the top and bottom layers were bleached. I sent it back and the seller didn't hassle me over the refund.

I even saw one case where someone sold a '35 Ruth card, explicitly said, "I'm selling this as a reprint," and then the very same card showed up a couple of months later, and it sold on a holiday with a manufactured backstory ("I received this as a gift many years ago") for over $200.

Runscott
01-15-2015, 06:35 PM
I even saw one case where someone sold a '35 Ruth card, explicitly said, "I'm selling this as a reprint," and then the very same card showed up a couple of months later, and it sold on a holiday with a manufactured backstory ("I received this as a gift many years ago") for over $200.

If the new owner sold it on ebay and then shipped it across state lines via USPS, wouldn't that be kind of a serious crime?

arc2q
01-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Is it common knowledge that the '33 Goudey has the wrong birthday for Babe Ruth listed on the back? I'm sure this has been known for eons. It just caught my attention.

Dave Farquhar
01-15-2015, 09:24 PM
If the new owner sold it on ebay and then shipped it across state lines via USPS, wouldn't that be kind of a serious crime?

I would think so, but the buyer has to figure out it's a fake and then press charges. The seller is taking the chance that a buyer is more likely to just return it, which would definitely be less hassle.

Cozumeleno
01-16-2015, 07:39 AM
Is it common knowledge that the '33 Goudey has the wrong birthday for Babe Ruth listed on the back? I'm sure this has been known for eons. It just caught my attention.

For some it probably is - I had no idea.

Cozumeleno
01-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Welp, I can't actually believe this but the item now has 12 bids and is already selling for more ($305.00) than the seller was even asking for with BIN ($300.00).

This is going to end badly, methinks.

Huysmans
01-16-2015, 07:58 AM
You guys sure no one here wants it? After all, the seller did mention its Ruth's rookie. 😎

arc2q
01-16-2015, 08:00 AM
What is with all the unnecessary details about the seller's life in the description? He is moving cross country on a motorcycle and doesn't want to be weighed down with any possessions other than his clothing? This card weighing 1/2 ounce really would have slowed him down.

"I don't feel like dealing with grading services" is always the coup de grace of fake card listings.

Leon
01-20-2015, 11:41 AM
An expensive lesson?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=201265300801&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Cozumeleno
01-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Ugh - that's a shame.

If anyone wonders why these types of cards that are (correctly) sold as reprints sell for $50.00 and up, it's reasons like this. Easy to buy as a RP and then sell under the guise of "I'm not sure".

I'm not saying this seller did that, but, well, let's just say his story doesn't make any sense.

Paul S
01-20-2015, 12:52 PM
What is with all the unnecessary details about the seller's life in the description?
Yeah, even if I know nothing about how to tell a certain item being real of fake, the over-explanatory multi-paragraph detailed reasons are the dead giveaway.