PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro, Montco. PA

thomasnace
01-13-2015, 02:20 PM
Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a relatively new T206 collector. I've focused on collecting PBs in the PSA 3-5 range. Look forward to participating and getting to know some of you. I also saw a few guys mention that they were from SE PA. Maybe I'll run into some of you guys in the future!

Cheers.

ls7plus
01-13-2015, 02:43 PM
A sincere welcome to the forum, by far the best group of knowledgeable collectors to be found anywhere!

Best wishes re your collecting,

Larry

mrvster
01-13-2015, 03:21 PM
T206 are my favorite:)

Peace

Johnny

Eric72
01-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Hi neighbor (I also live in Southeast PA.)

Welcome to Net54. Enjoy your stay and feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.

Best regards,

Eric

Clark7781
01-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Welcome to the board. I'm in lower Bucks County, Pa.

39special
01-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Welcome! There is a lot of knowledge here.I'm from Berks County Pa.

thomasnace
01-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, gentlemen. Glad to see kind neighbors here. I'll further my post by posting my next desired acquisitions. In no particular order, I'm in the hunt for PB examples of:

Duffy
Leifield
Lajoie with bat
Chase blue
Merkle throwing
Conroy with bat
Wilhelm
Gandil

I'm sure those will cost me $500-600 more than I already own, but I'm on the lookout. I haven't a clue as to their scarcity or availability on the open market, but I'm sure this forum will help.

Bocabirdman
01-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Welcome! There is a lot of knowledge here.I'm from Berks County Pa.

Welcome to the madness!.....I once ate a Philly Cheese Steak

Eric72
01-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Welcome to the madness!.....I once ate a Philly Cheese Steak

Hi Mike,

Geno's, Pat's, Tony Luke's - or - did you get a GOOD Philly cheesesteak?

Not kidding...those places serve up slop, IMHO.

Oh, and to our newest member, please let us know your cheesesteak experiences, too. :D

Best regards,

Eric

EvilKing00
01-13-2015, 06:53 PM
Hello nice to have u here!

thomasnace
01-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Dalessandro's. No question there.

boneheadandrube
01-13-2015, 07:28 PM
I live in Eagleville...moved back here after almost 2 decades away from SE PA. Lived in Miami then SoCal then back here...it SUCKS here!
GB

Bocabirdman
01-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Hi Mike,

Geno's, Pat's, Tony Luke's - or - did you get a GOOD Philly cheesesteak?

Not kidding...those places serve up slop, IMHO.

Oh, and to our newest member, please let us know your cheesesteak experiences, too. :D

Best regards,

Eric

Eric, I went to a Dead Show at the Spectrum on 05/13/78. I spent the night with some local deadheads at a row house some where in Philly. On the way out of town, the next day, we stopped at a place, the name of which is either unknown to me or lost to the ravages of time. I do remember that that Cheese Steak set me up just right for the drive to the next show, that night at the Providence Civic Center. It is the steak sub that all others have been measured against since.

I have only been in and out of the Philly airport many times since. My folks live in South Jersey.

mrvster
01-13-2015, 08:13 PM
check out the B/S/T here.......but it may drain your paypal account lol! so many great collectors willing to sell you rare cards :eek: like a cornacopea utopia of T206:)

ethicsprof
01-13-2015, 08:42 PM
welcome aboard the board!!!

best,
barry

Jantz
01-13-2015, 09:43 PM
Welcome to the Board!

If you have any questions about the Polar Bears, feel free to ask.

One of my favorite Polar Bear cards below.

Jantz

mets41
01-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Welcome to our little corner from Glenside

Jeffrompa
01-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Welcome to the board from a former Ridley Park guy , good luck with your collection .

thomasnace
01-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Welcome to our little corner from Glenside

I get my motorcycle serviced in Glenside at The Bike Works. Awesome place. Nice t' meet you.

glynparson
01-14-2015, 03:26 AM
More info on the Dead show please. Been to many a show in Philly. Since I gave up meat a philly cheesesteak is definitely one of the only things i actually miss, no good vegetarian alternatives. From Berks County PA.

Bocabirdman
01-14-2015, 04:11 AM
More info on the Dead show please. Been to many a show in Philly. Since I gave up meat a philly cheesesteak is definitely one of the only things i actually miss, no good vegetarian alternatives. From Berks County PA.

Gln,

That was my freshman year @ the Zoo, UMass Amherst. I was a freshly minted Deadhead. That Philly show was only my 4th (of 81). I was a bit crinkly so my actual memories of that night are Technicolor but having heard the bootleg over the years, I lucked into a Helluva show to go with a Helluva Cheese Steak.:D That was still when the band took more chances musically and the shows could soar or suck. Later on, they played it safer and the highest highs and the lowest lows were more scarce.:)

05/13/78
The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
Set 1:
Jack Straw
Dire Wolf
Beat It On Down The Line
Peggy-O
El Paso
Row Jimmy
New Minglewood Blues
Candyman
The Music Never Stopped

Set 2:
Bertha
Good Lovin'
Terrapin Station
Playin' In The Band>
Drums>
Truckin'>
Black Peter
Sugar Magnolia

Encore:
One More Saturday Night

glynparson
01-14-2015, 04:49 AM
Love 1978 definitely a year where they took a lot of chances.

lgbbcards
01-14-2015, 06:18 AM
Welcome to the Board from another PA guy - just outside Allentown. Love the Dead as much as the T206's.

eastonfalcon19
01-14-2015, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the board. You will learn a ton on here. I am a little north of you in the Lehigh Valley.

Best,
Ron

Shoebox
01-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Welcome to the board!

Eric72
01-14-2015, 07:58 PM
Dalessandro's. No question there.

Tom,

Unfortunately, I haven't had any cheesesteaks from Roxborough. I lived in South Philly for quite a few years, though, and got spoiled with the incredible assortment of restaurants there.

My favorite cheesesteak was from Sal's, which was about 100 feet off the corner of 2nd & Wolf. Tiny little hole-in-the-wall...great food.

I also have a baseball themed story to tell which involves food. My stepmother lived on Juniper Street, right next door to Oregon Steaks. And my dad had a Sunday Season Ticket plan with the Phillies when I was growing up.

He and I went to 13 Sunday games every season, from 1980 - 1986. Since Juniper & Oregon was within walking distance to Veterans Stadium, we would "perambulate" to the ballpark from my stepmother's house.

Very early during this period, I learned that the food at Oregon Steaks was much better than the food at the Vet. I quickly gravitated toward an Italian Hoagie (dry, no oil, no mayo) and a pizza roll.

As South Philly was paid a visit, by my father and I, for more than just Phillies games, I also learned that Oregon Steaks also served up a great cheesesteak. However, it just didn't make sense to me to try eating one while walking down Broad Street towards the Vet (and, back then, the Navy Yard.)

Damn, I am suddenly hungry. I wonder why.

Happy collecting. Please pardon me while I go visit the kitchen. :D

Best regards,

Eric

slipk1068
01-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Welcome :)

Polar Bears are awesome and so are Jim's Cheesesteak on South St.

edit: So are The Dead. Set 2 must have been amazing. Bertha and Sugar Magnolia 2 of my faves :)