PDA

View Full Version : Making a case to put Upside Down Back on T206 Scarcity Checklist

mrvster
01-09-2015, 03:33 PM
As all of you know I'm into T206 scraps and Freaks.....

I also love rare backs....

Why isn't upside down back on the scarcity checklist?? the factory cut errors , imho, should be added to the accepted list....

I have been championing this for a few years now....

should be before broadleaf 460 in rarity.......

no reason a factory cut example should not be in someone's checklist if they are collecting all backs....:D;)

I VOTE YES!!!!!!!!

wolf441
01-09-2015, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=mrvster;1364555]As all of you know I'm into T206 scraps and Freaks.....

Really?? I had no idea! :D:D:D

+1, add it on there! One more thing for me to buy to make the wife angry :D

z28jd
01-09-2015, 06:50 PM
How would you list them if it were up to you V? Back just has to be upside down or would you break them up by brand, amount of backs showing?

freakhappy
01-09-2015, 07:48 PM
I vote yes if it's on the "error/freak" checklist, but not any regular/standard backs checklist. To each their own tho :D

ullmandds
01-09-2015, 07:50 PM
I vote yes if it's on the "error/freak" checklist, but not any regular/standard backs checklist. To each their own tho :D

+1

Tao_Moko
01-09-2015, 08:08 PM

+1

mrvster
01-09-2015, 08:58 PM
classify as "upside down back".....just under broadleaf 460....

brown old mill is a scrap/ error freak....:confused:...no????

blank back is an error/ freak.....:confused:....no????

why are they on the checklist?????????????????????:confused:

don't get me wrong they should be on the checklist....

why not upside down back???????????

doesn't make sense???:confused:

the factory cut uppys were issued in packs, where brown old mill and blank backs weren't even distributed to the public in packs or at all!!!

.....brown old mill wasn't and blank backs weren't even distributed at all!!!...

let's not even bring up the cobb:)

if blank back and brown old mill are on the list, why not an uppy???

(classifying all upside downs together/ scrap/ 4 back/ 2 back ect)....

for the sake of simplicity.......

they are all just as rare....:)

still no one made an educated case AGAINST them that makes sense to me:)

mrvster
01-09-2015, 09:00 PM
btw.....:)

makes sense doesn't it???????:)

THANKS!

Leon
01-09-2015, 09:12 PM

THANKS!

makes sense to me Johnny!!

mrvster
01-09-2015, 09:15 PM
maybe I should've titled the thread " make a case AGAINST upside down backs......ect....ect.....;):)

Jantz
01-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Johnny

A Freak back checklist would be a project with your name all over it! :)

Leave me out though, I'm still trying to figure out why there aren't any Drum 460 backs.

AB 350 & 460....check
Broad Leaf 350 & 460....check
Cycle 350 & 460....check

Drum 350 & ___ ....what happen? ;)

Jantz

freakhappy
01-09-2015, 09:38 PM

THANKS!

Good argument! You know how hard it is to not necessarily be on the same side in a debate as you?? With all of your enthusiasm and such?? You're my hero, man ;)

Anyway...back to the matter at hand. You could easily make an argument for or against making them a part of the backs checklist. However, the way I look at it is that upside down backs were not meant to be upside down and aren't necessarily their own established brand, but rather is a created brand by collectors. If we make upside down backs their own "brand", do we now have to consider every unintentional back (error back) their own? For instance, how about the misplaced scroll on Sweet Caporal overprints?

Blank backs, brown old mill, etc,. Still carry a brand of their own. Each uppy carries it's original tobacco advertisement....I feel their is a separation between the two. And I also think that brown old mill and brown Lenox could be in the same discussion if they were created unintentionally and therefore are an error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MVSNYC
01-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Johnny, you're the man...one request, can we call them USDB's instead of "uppys"?

Please?

:)

mrvster
01-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Mike, I can see where your coming from:)

Jantz

Not a bad idea!:)

Mike s,

yes!!! no more "uppy":)

ethicsprof
01-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Johnny,
I remember ages ago when Mike S. pleaded with you to change the name
from 'uppys'. How long will your 'yes' last this time? :)

I do think Mike's suggestion of USDB is pretty difficult to say quickly. :)

I'm for doing anything you suggest if it helps you get that wagner you've wanted for aeons!

all the best, ole buddy
barry

Eggoman
01-10-2015, 12:03 PM
I'm "OK" with adding them! But I have one!!! :D

mart8081
01-10-2015, 12:04 PM
A serious question. Are they upside down backs or upside down fronts?

I'm not sure of the printing process for the t206s so hope someone can help answer this.

mrvster
01-10-2015, 03:18 PM
YOU ROCK! I WANT Wags so BAD!

You've always been in my corner.....;)

that question was a good one.....are they upside down fronts??? I don't think I could answer that......just thinking logically that the backs were upside down cause if it were the front, they would notice right away??? thoughts???:confused:

Eric72
01-10-2015, 04:02 PM
A serious question. Are they upside down backs or upside down fronts?

Much like quantum physics, it is relative according to the field of the observer.

Best regards,

Eric

P.S. It could also be viewed as Schrödinger's cat. It is both, simultaneously, until slabbed by a TPG. At that point, it is an upside down back...provided that they slab it with the front facing forward and seated right-side up.

P.S.S. I am in a smart-assed mood this evening, so please take this post with a grain of salt. :D

Runscott
01-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Because it's printer scrap, not a tobacco brand. Blank backs are only there because they are easy to identify and whoever decided to include them probably didn't consider them scrap, but rather an error. It's all semantics and I personally don't care - add them to the pop reports if you can get it done.

ullmandds
01-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Johhny...wags really doesn't fit in your collection...unless you were to obtain the diecut wags...or the uncut strip wags!!!!

On a more relevant note perhaps there should be 2 lists...a list of back rarities...based solely on the backs including color variations regardless of why they were printed...and a separate list including proofs, freaks, scraps, ets...intermingled with the backs to give an idea of rarity/value when comparing these apples...to those oranges?

Just a guy who couldn't give a rats ass about T206's anymore's...opinion.

YOU ROCK! I WANT Wags so BAD!

You've always been in my corner.....;)

that question was a good one.....are they upside down fronts??? I don't think I could answer that......just thinking logically that the backs were upside down cause if it were the front, they would notice right away??? thoughts???:confused:

Runscott
01-10-2015, 04:24 PM
hat question was a good one.....are they upside down fronts??? I don't think I could answer that......just thinking logically that the backs were upside down cause if it were the front, they would notice right away??? thoughts???:confused:

Johnny, if you think they printed the back first, weren't happy with the results, and so then printed fronts as tests and did so 'upside-down' in relation to the backs, then I think it's logical to think the fronts are actually upside-down, and the backs are right-side-up.

If you believe this, then you should re-display all your upside-down backs by turning them over.

mrvster
01-10-2015, 09:08 PM
I am obsessed with getting wags! I have been trying for 35 years or so....

:eek:

My dream card is the Wagner ghost scrap with magenta player on front pied 150 scrap! :) I AM IN LOVE WITH IT

I think a board member owns it here????:confused:

I always am in love with the strip.....to think wagner had it in his pocket:eek:
Id hate to get rid of all my scraps/ rarities.....but the wags would make it feel better:)

I am toying with the idea of an developing an "error" checklist....in rarities....scrap maybe....:confused:

upside down backs are undervalued and underappreciated inmho.....a bl 460 rarity:D

I want more thoughts:)

freakhappy
01-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Do it, Johnny...I think a checklist would be sweet. You know it wouldn't take too long to get a nice list. Plus I'm pretty sure most of the people here own most of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrvster
01-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Thanks my friend! I think I will work on this project:)