PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Standard Catalo listing

darkhorse9
01-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Reading the thread on the Globe Imports cards and how he was able to get them to change the catalog listings for the item got me wondering if others have been able to influence the book as well.

i was able to make my contribution by providing the 1978 Wiffle Ball side box cards (That's actually my image of the Bert Blyleven card in the catalog) and getting them to add that listing to the book.

Has anyone else been able to influence and add information to our standard guide?

bcbgcbrcb
01-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Good luck with that, I tried to get them to add rookie card designations on some pre-war cards several years back. I never got anywhere with that..........

ALR-bishop
01-09-2015, 02:22 PM
I had regular dialogs with Bob Lemke about adding variations, and did get several added with his help, including the 67 Mantle Punch Out variants

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img079.jpg.

Also got him to add a 4th baseball item for the Topps 1954 baseball subset

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img073.jpg

I have not had any discussions about additions with the current editor, Tom Bartsch, but know others who have gotten such additions made through him.

Near the end of his tenure Bob Lemke developed a narrower definition of a variation and as a result removed some print defects that had been listed in the catalog. Mostly border breaks as I recall

rgpete
01-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Also the Standard Catalog information for the 1980 Topps Prototype Coins should be changed and updated showing the color variations for each of the coins and also how many are known to exist to date (only 12). Long over do for prices too

rgpete
01-09-2015, 05:24 PM
Also the Standard Catalog information for the 1980 Topps Prototype Coins should be changed and updated showing the color variations for each of the coins and also how many are known to exist to date (only 12). Long over do for prices too forgot the picture

ALR-bishop
01-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Not sure what they would change with that listing. The prices on these rare type items in the Catalog are always meaningless. The numbers are really an unknown as well. How would you have it read ?

rgpete
01-10-2015, 05:23 AM
Not sure what they would change with that listing. The prices on these rare type items in the Catalog are always meaningless. The numbers are really an unknown as well. How would you have it read ?

Since the prices are meaningless and these are rarely sold, than the price listing should be blank with a qualifier as to why its blank with some explanation for not enough data or transactions. Now they can change how many coins exist in each color as per article from "thetoppsarchives blog" Catching Up on Coins and Cards March 10, 2010, which the list is from his research and or his known information about these

Carew Bronze 3
Garvey Bronze 1
Jackson Bronze 2 (plus one unconfirmed)
Carew Silver 1 (plus one unconfirmed)
Garvey Silver 2
Jackson Gold 3

rgpete
01-10-2015, 05:37 AM
ALR- bishop how did you come across your coins

ALR-bishop
01-10-2015, 09:40 AM
I bought a gold colored Jackson on ebay from a guy, who then asked me what I would pay for a full set of 3 bronze ones. We talked price over a long period and I finally bought them. I then sort of traded the Jackson for another obscure Topps item.

Not sure why SCD lists the prices it does for some items, such as the 55 Stamps, 61 Dice, 66 Punch Outs, 70 Cloth, 71 Rookie Artists Proofs or the 77 Topps proofs. In some cases Bob Lemke would note an auction price paid for one of the items in one of those sets and I assume would then extrapolate prices for the others in some way. But I do not think any of us who try to collect any those give much thought to such prices in deciding how much to offer or spend.

For example I have never seen in person one of the Topps 1971 Rookie Artists Proof that Craig posted some time back. If he offered one of them, say the Munson, for sale I would expect anyone who wanted it would know they would have to spend more than the $750 listed in the Catalog to get it.

Actually, I would guess few people today use the Catalog as an accurate price guide for anything listed in it

rgpete
01-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Thanks ALR-bishop for your reply I'm surprised Topps Vault don't have a few stashed somewhere, also curious who Topps contracted to produce the coins, more than likely more are out there

toppcat
01-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Thanks ALR-bishop for your reply I'm surprised Topps Vault don't have a few stashed somewhere, also curious who Topps contracted to produce the coins, more than likely more are out there

Maybe not-they were produced for an in-house pitch so there are likely only those produced for such purposes still around. Materials from these type of meetings seem to have entered the hobby prior to the Topps Vault coming into existence.

Leon
01-10-2015, 05:21 PM
I have made numerous contributions and several of my cards are pictured in the SCD. Before Bob left he did a really good job of keeping up with pre-war stuff. Now I think they could care less......

ALR-bishop
01-10-2015, 06:12 PM
The only post I have ever had deleted from a bulletin board was deleted by you Leon for a similar comment :)

Rich Klein
01-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Based on a similar thread, I wrote this column last month

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/ramblings-dont-kill-cataloguing/

and a couple of comments which I used in a reader's write type article

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/ramblings-reader-reaction-2/

And it's funny -- the owner of Beckett believes in protecting the data (which is their right) but is not as aggressive as ensuring the new or updated "odd-ball" material is added. (Well that costs money and time as I pointed out)

Here is the email we received on January 1st

Dear Beckett Supporters

As we enter 2015, please know how much we appreciate your support. Your loyalty to our products including print magazines, online data and Beckett Grading Services is truly special and we value your allegiance.

To that end, we respectfully request your help. Unscrupulous parties truly are copying Beckett’s proprietary pricing and data and are attempting to sell it to unsuspecting collectors. While we do our best to curb data theft, every new day brings unique attempts to use Beckett.com data and pricing without authorization.

This must stop! And we believe we can stop it by working together. We are serious about protecting our data and strengthening our relationship with collectors throughout the world.

How can you help? Simply email us at watchdog@beckett.com.
•When you are contacted by a third party attempting to sell Beckett’s information.
•When you see an obvious “copy” of a Beckett price guide online.
•When someone tries to sell you data that could only come from Beckett.

How will we thank you? With a cool $500!

Every legitimate alert which culminates into identifying a culprit (subject to verification by the Beckett Vigilance Department) will earn a $500 reward for the contributor.

Thanks in advance for your support and next time you see anything fishy, please contact us at watchdog@beckett.com!

Sincerely,
The Beckett.com Watchdog Team

Bob Lemke
01-11-2015, 02:19 PM
In fairness to current SCVBC editor Tom Bartsch, it should be noted that the book's current ownership gives him zero resources for adding listings, updating prices, etc.

Any time he can find for such enhancements has to be stolen from his "day" job as editor of SCD and God knows what else they have piled on his desk.

Rich Klein
01-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Bob:

I had a nice email conversation with Tom about that when it came to show calendar listings. You realize that you still have to send in show listings the really old fashioned ways, unlike Beckett where you can put your listing in through a computer and then just have it approved.

And I get that, if you read my column, you can see why you and I for business reasons no longer do these as our side gigs so to speak but I get the business reasons.

Does not make the whole situation better, just a little bit different then 10 years ago

Rich