PDA

View Full Version : 1936 Rick Ferrell & 1938 Bob Doerr RPPCs w/autos....

Leon
01-09-2015, 10:17 AM
1936 Rick Ferrell & 1938 Bob Doerr RPPCs....

Leon
01-09-2015, 10:40 AM
To this (biased :)) layperson both look good. I might be wrong though. :eek:

And if good, I think they might have been sent out by the players themselves too. Would like others opinions on why good or bad. thanks again!!

Runscott
01-09-2015, 11:01 AM
I thought the question was nuts, as these guys aren't forged;however, the Doerr looks bad - he must have had his wife or other person doing secretarial TTM signatures.

Leon
01-09-2015, 11:07 AM
I thought the question was nuts, as these guys aren't forged;however, the Doerr looks bad - he must have had his wife or other person doing secretarial TTM signatures.

Thanks Scott...after looking at Doerr's later signatures I was in agreement. And I am not too good at this, but this earlier sig looks closer to the postcard one shown... Maybe wishful thinking...though these aren't too valuable even if real...I don't think

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-Government-Postcard-Bob-Doerr-Autographed-PSA-DNA-/330506480409?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item4cf3b8ab19

Runscott
01-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Your example looks a lot closer. I really don't like the 'big loop' 'D', but I was able to find an old facsimile Doerr sig that had it. If the experts don't know of Doerr secretarials, it must be good - there is almost no financial incentive to forge a Doerr and I haven't heard of anyone mailing one of those Burke postcards unless it was a player signing and sending out to a requestor.

Does that close the Doerr on this? :eek:

Leon
01-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Your example looks a lot closer. I really don't like the 'big loop' 'D', but I was able to find an old facsimile Doerr sig that had it. If the experts don't know of Doerr secretarials, it must be good - there is almost no financial incentive to forge a Doerr and I haven't heard of anyone mailing one of those Burke postcards unless it was a player signing and sending out to a requestor.

Does that close the Doerr on this? :eek:

It's just a friendly debate Scott. I don't think the Doerr :) is opened or closed though that was pretty good.. I appreciate your valued opinion as always. Heck, they were in a box of stuff I have of which I don't even know where any of it came from. It's just a box of stuff. :o So it's not a big deal to me either way. But if I go to sell them I don't want to sell bogus autos. And I don't really care for the name game TPGs too much...so that is why I posted here....oh yeah,..and it's cheaper, more reliable (to me) and faster too. :)

Runscott
01-09-2015, 11:40 AM
My last statement was a joke

Leon
01-09-2015, 11:50 AM
My last statement was a joke
I know but my response didn't reflect that. Damn computer screens.....

djson1
01-10-2015, 10:54 AM
From the older Doerr examples I've seen, he's generally consistent with his signature. That example doesn't look like his usual signature. Also, there doesn't always have to be a financial incentive for forgeries. As Scott mentioned, many players had somebody else sign for them, especially if it was during the playing season.

tjb1952tjb
01-28-2015, 01:45 AM
I have collected many Bobby Doerr items, as he was a childhood friend of my dad's. I even have a few Doerr signatures in my dad's high school yearbooks that look similar to your example (they were on the baseball team together). Bobby Doerr's early signatures do not look like his later ones. He developed a more consistent signature later. The Doerr signature you have is a good example of his earlier, less consistent style.

Exhibitman
01-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Don't know if this helps but here is a Doerr from the 1950s that I picked up:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/Doerr.jpg

Of course, for all I know this one is secretarial :)