PDA

View Full Version : Help With SGC --> PSA Crossover for a '48-49 Leaf Jackie Robinson.

phabphour20
01-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Hello gentlefolk of the forum. I seek help/advice. I am a PSA collector... just started that way and have always been that way. Yesterday a nice forum member sold me this:

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p527/phabphour20/48LeafJackieFront.jpg (http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/phabphour20/media/48LeafJackieFront.jpg.html)

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p527/phabphour20/48LeafJackieBack.jpg (http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/phabphour20/media/48LeafJackieBack.jpg.html)

Once I receive it I would like to get it into a PSA holder. I want to limit downside risk but don't want to remove any upside potential if that makes sense. I think it should cross to a 4.5 but would take a PSA 4 if it happened that way. I think it is a nice copy, doubtful that it would get a 5, but you never know if you got the right grader on the right day.

So, how would you go about it? Here are my options as I see them:

1.) Submit to PSA with minimum 4.5 grade on crossover. If it fails, submit it again with 4 minimum. Protects me to the downside but is costly if I have to submit twice and probably eliminates even the very small chance at a 5.

2.) Crack and submit raw eliminating the "anchoring bias" of the existing grade, but risking a trimmed or minsize or altered denial. (I have had cards that I pulled fresh from packs come back evidtrim)

3.) Submit first time with a min grade of 4. I feel like this is most cost effective, but if you give PSA this option to whack a half-grade off, they will.

Thoughts? Thanks...

-Brian

bnorth
01-09-2015, 08:33 AM
I would crack and submit raw. That's what I done the one time I crossed a card over.

MattyC
01-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Sadly, politics btw rival companies will prohibit a card getting a fair shake. Hence the crack/resub route is best shot at highest grade.

Great card; it looks stunning against the black holder. Funny, I am actually slowly crossing all my PSA cards over to SGC.

brewing
01-09-2015, 08:56 AM
I would crack and submit raw. That's what I done the one time I crossed a card over.

I agree. It could come back anywhere from 3 to 6. If it comes in under 4.5, resubmit.

phabphour20
01-09-2015, 09:02 AM

I attempted to cross 10 SGC cards to PSA once to test the process. 4 crossed and 6 didn't. Those were all 88s and 96s.

Sadly, politics btw rival companies will prohibit a card getting a fair shake. Hence the crack/resub route is best shot at highest grade.

Great card; it looks stunning against the black holder. Funny, I am actually slowly crossing all my PSA cards over to SGC.

It definitely does look best against the black border. I will have to agree with you there. What drives your SGC preference? The pre-war stuff?

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll likely crack it out and send it raw. Man that makes me nervous...

I agree. It could come back anywhere from 3 to 6. If it comes in under 4.5, resubmit.

I'd be ecstatic with a 5 and still very pleased with a 4.5.

Also, I was an English major in college so I need to point out the spelling error in your signature... endeavor. Or endeavour if you prefer the Queen's English. But great frackin' set by the way!

pclpads
01-09-2015, 10:00 AM
If it was mine, I'd go w/ #3 for the same reasons you gave. That way if it doesn't pass muster, you still have it in a 4.5 slab. I don't think the .5 matters a whole lot on a 4.5 to a 4. Higher grades yes. Definitely would not do #2. Unless you are a gambler, want to chance a lock 4.5 that likely comes back EOT. Then, you've lost the works! Happened to me on an Arron RC in PSA 5. Thot it was badly undergraded. Cracked and subbed raw. EOT! Also pass on #1 . . . unless you are rich and want to make Joe Orlando richer. :D

MattyC
01-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Hi Brian,

My evolving preference for SGC has to do with two basic factors:

1. Aesthetics. The cards just look best, in my opinion, in these holders. The PSA holders by comparison look cheap to my eye and simply do not frame the cards in as majestic a manner.

Anecdotally, I recently visited my cousin during the holiday, who has always collected and is now getting into graded cards for the protection of the card, as opposed to all his old screw downs, LOL. His mind was utterly impartial when he looked at my cards, and said, "Why do you have some in these cheap looking clear plastic ones and others in these awesome black ones?"

That pure knee-jerk assessment pretty much sums it up.

I collect more Post War cards, but also a healthy amount of Pre War favorites. As to the tangential issue of potential resale and value, which inevitably arises in a discussion of preferred holder, I am a believer in the primacy of the card— and thus have faith that a great card like your Jackie Robinson will get its price no matter what the holder, provided enough collectors get eyeballs on it over time. Also, if a collector is intending to hold a card for ten years, twenty years, and way beyond, it is impossible to predict what company's holder will be the most trusted in that timeframe. So I say go with what pleases you in terms of enjoying and displaying your collection, and address factors of bumps, numerical grade, and resale when that time comes.

2. I believe that SGC grades consistently, and lets the card get its deserving grade, without considering how much money it is worth to the collector, what it will do for their brand in terms of diluting pop reports, and whether or not assigning a stingy grade will incite a card's owner to engage in repeated reviews or submissions, paying a new fee each time in hopes that the subjective number put on the sticker will finally reflect the truth of the card.

Anyways, hope sharing that take on the subject is beneficial.

Best,

Matt

phabphour20
01-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Hi Brian,

My evolving preference for SGC has to do with two basic factors:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. It is funny, I guess some things really are in the eye of the beholder. Originally I started collecting PSA because I thought SGC cases looked and felt cheap. I know it is a super-dumb thing, but I can't stand the perforated edge of the SGC label.

I will say again though that for this card you are 100% correct in saying it looks beautiful in this holder. Unfortunately I am one for consistency so I want it to be like its friends in PSA cases.

Are all those cards in your sig link yours? If so, care to part with a '51 Mantle? :D

Thanks again.

MattyC
01-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Thanks, yep that is my collection in the sig. I'm actually seeking more 51B Micks but they are hard to find with even decent centering and no vertical print lines.

I totally agree the perforated label and print quality of the label is the Achilles of the SGC holder.

phabphour20
01-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks, yep that is my collection in the sig. I'm actually seeking more 51B Micks but they are hard to find with even decent centering and no vertical print lines.

I totally agree the perforated label and print quality of the label is the Achilles of the SGC holder.

Beautiful stuff. That Mantle is on my list. The '48/49 Leaf Satchel Paige has to take priority though. If I can ever find one.

MattyC
01-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Ah, just sold mine a couple months ago to help land a new card. Was a dead centered example with focus. I miss it but am far more of a Mantle guy.

pawpawdiv9
01-09-2015, 03:55 PM
Brian: Beautiful card by the way. I have my Jackie in the same grade.
MattyC; no way your getting my 51 Mick out of my bare hands. LOL! We all know Matty has beautiful cards and taste.

Brian: i am also on the Rookie card quest, and have many cards your either active or looking for, hope our sides dont meet up as i been busy placing bids, sure dont wanna raise the roof.

phabphour20
01-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Brian: Beautiful card by the way. I have my Jackie in the same grade.
MattyC; no way your getting my 51 Mick out of my bare hands. LOL! We all know Matty has beautiful cards and taste.

Brian: i am also on the Rookie card quest, and have many cards your either active or looking for, hope our sides dont meet up as i been busy placing bids, sure dont wanna raise the roof.

I have a few people I try not to cross in the market. PM me if you'd like to be included. In the interim all I really am looking at is the Leaf component of the set. I love Leaf. I'm going after the Doby in a 6 that's ending in a few days.

Thanks for the kind words on the card. I am pleased.

1952boyntoncollector
01-09-2015, 09:30 PM
I was going after all 4 as the seller said would wait for the weekend before selling them off individually...guess not!..

vthobby
01-09-2015, 09:46 PM
I have cracked numerous SGC and BVG out so I have some first hand experience like most on here. Crack it out. Pretty easy for SGC's to crack out.
Send it raw. It will come back a 4 or a 5. Centering is good which helps.

peace, mike

phabphour20
01-10-2015, 05:31 AM
I was going after all 4 as the seller said would wait for the weekend before selling them off individually...guess not!..

It was part of a 3 Jackie lot, yes. I guess I made a strong offer.

I have cracked numerous SGC and BVG out so I have some first hand experience like most on here. Crack it out. Pretty easy for SGC's to crack out.
Send it raw. It will come back a 4 or a 5. Centering is good which helps.

peace, mike

Mike, thanks for your input. I only really fear evidence of trimming or min size requirements. I think it is a solid 4 for sure.

gnpaden
01-10-2015, 06:24 PM
1st off this Jackie is absolutely beautiful! I prefer SGC with the black border when submitting cards for grading, but do purchase PSA as well. Personally, I would keep it in the SGC case, but if you are a PSA guy then crack and resubmit.

Matty:your cards are gorgeous!

clamendo
01-10-2015, 09:41 PM
I have two close friends that are experts, they were grading cards from Day 1. The best policy is to crack it out and resubmit, as they have told me numerous times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phabphour20
01-11-2015, 09:16 AM
1st off this Jackie is absolutely beautiful! I prefer SGC with the black border when submitting cards for grading, but do purchase PSA as well. Personally, I would keep it in the SGC case, but if you are a PSA guy then crack and resubmit.

Matty:your cards are gorgeous!

Thanks for the kind words on the Jackie. I'm quite pleased.

I have two close friends that are experts, they were grading cards from Day 1. The best policy is to crack it out and resubmit, as they have told me numerous times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seem to have reached a consensus that cracking it out is the way to go. It's risky but I guess I gotta do it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

-Brian