PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or is this eBay seller pumping out fake '52 Bowmans?

KryKslr
01-07-2015, 10:58 AM
I'm working on putting together the 1952 Bowman set, and I came across this seller on eBay who seems to have quite a few almost brand new looking '52 Bowman cards listed. As I zoom in on the scan, the printing pattern appears to be much different than original '52 Bowmans I currently have. My first thought was that it might just be the scanner they are using, but I've never known a scanner to make huge rosettes appear in the printed area.

Does this look fishy at all to anyone else?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-BOWMAN-LEW-BURDETTE-HIGH-244-NRMT-BRAVES-/191467139772

Thoughts?

Beatles Guy
01-07-2015, 11:17 AM
My personal opinion is that they are good. My scanner will leave those rosettes like that from time to time. Those patented Bowman stains on the back would be very hard to recreate. Even stains have a certain look :)

1963Topps Set
01-07-2015, 12:16 PM
If they are fakes, they are very realistic! Also, why would anyone want to reproduce low value commons?

frankh8147
01-07-2015, 12:59 PM
They look real enough for me to bid. :)

GasHouseGang
01-07-2015, 02:25 PM
They look real to me. I haven't seen anyone fake the staining from being in the pack as shows on the back of these cards.

Volod
01-07-2015, 02:29 PM
They certainly look legit to me. I spent several minutes zooming and closely examining, but I can't find the "much different" printing pattern that you mention, and, maybe I'm going blind, but can't see the "rosettes" either. What differences are you seeing, and where are the rosettes?

1963Topps Set
01-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Perhaps the 1952 Bowmans you already have are fake and these are real, thus the contrast?

KryKslr
01-07-2015, 08:02 PM
If they are fakes, they are very realistic! Also, why would anyone want to reproduce low value commons?

Perhaps the 1952 Bowmans you already have are fake and these are real, thus the contrast?

I would highly doubt that out of the 80 or so cards I have acquired out of the set, including PSA and SGC graded examples, that the contrast is due to a collection of fakes on my end. Would be quite a feat to buy 80 counterfeit cards from a variety of sellers and end up with a collection of nothing but fakes.

I questioned the reasoning behind someone reproducing low-value cards, but I was unsure, simply because there were a number of high-numbers in their offerings, and I wasn't sure.

What really threw me off and had me questioning were the large rosettes that appeared in the photos. Not a single '52 Bowman I've ever seen has shown those printing patterns - but it's looking like those are a result of an odd scanning phenomenon rather than counterfeit printing.

The staining on the back is what has sold them on my end - as others have said, it would be a little more of a challenge (though not impossible) to reproduce the staining on the back of the cards that Bowman's are famous for.....so I'm convinced they are in fact real.

Can't blame a guy for being a little overly cautious though, right? :)