PDA

View Full Version : MastroNet/GAI Provenance

aphanna25
01-05-2015, 11:09 PM
I know this question is very subjective, but I’m curious about how the experts and serious collectors here feel about game-used items that have provenance which include MastroNet Auctions and GAI Certification, circa 1999-2005. As a buyer I’ve seen some items show up in local shops via consignment which look like the real deal to me, based on secondary research I've done. Is the general consensus from all of you that mostly everything with that history should be avoided at all costs? Or have some folks had satisfactory experiences with game-used purchases there during that time frame?

I’m not sure if this post violates any Forum rule, and if it does, please feel free to remove.

Thanks.

Scott Garner
01-06-2015, 04:06 AM
Welcome to net54!
I believe that the safest way to answer your question is to look carefully at the item itself to determine the likelihood that it is, in fact, genuine.

Since the item that you are asking about is not on eBay or in a major auction, why don't you take some photos and post them here and some of the board members can weigh in with their thoughts?

I hope this helps

perezfan
01-07-2015, 02:16 AM
The items are probably fine. Those were the premier companies of the day.

You can't make sweeping generalizations like that. Agree that you should post the individual item(s) in question.

earlywynnfan
01-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Excellent points above. I have a couple MastroNet bats in my collection, they were signed by Dave Bushing. Nobody better.

drcy
01-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Comes down to who signed or endorsed the document and the time period. GAI was considered reputable in its early years (including for autographs) and Bushing authenticated for Mastro then GAI then SCDAuthentic then MEARS. A GAI or Mastro LOA signed by Bushing would be good provenance.

The idea that everything Mastro Auctions sold if fake is silly-- and wrong. With GAI LOAs, it comes down to who signed or endorsed it-- including with autographs. An early 2000s GAI or Mastro autograph LOA signed by Mike Gutierrez would be good provenance. Obviously, GAI's reputation in all areas has fallen precipitously over the years, and over the years they employed a turnstyle of examiners (some reputable, many not so reputable)-- but looking at who signed an LOA answers what is the document's value.

For the record, I don't own anything with Mastro or GAI LOAs or provenance. No need to worry about my post being about protecting my investments.

aphanna25
01-07-2015, 06:58 PM
This is all very helpful, in many ways. I think part of the education process in this hobby, especially for new collectors, is finding a resource such as this where people have incredible knowledge to share. But, a forum history search here with vendors/auction houses etc. in the title will bring a mosaic of responses, many of them negative and based on bad buying experiences or general trust issues. While certainly justifiable, it can be a challenge to find a consensus on something, which is what I was looking to accomplish. Didn't think about impacting the value of people's collection and wasn't my intention. Sorry for that.

Your points on the focusing on the actual authenticator and their reputation is well taken. I would imagine a simple forum search on most professional authenticators here will give me what I need on anything I have a question about going forward. Thanks for that.

djson1
01-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Many recently signed balls that are accompanied by GAI certs, such as Kershaw, Koufax, Trout, etc....seem to be very suspect. :mad:

earlywynnfan
01-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Many recently signed balls that are accompanied by GAI certs, such as Kershaw, Koufax, Trout, etc....seem to be very suspect. :mad:

yeah, that would be the new GAI after Priddy took over. His story would make a great comedy if it wasn't costing people so much money.