PDA

View Full Version : A Note To My Fellow Hobbyists from Joshua Leland Evans

joshleland
01-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Fellow Hobbyists:
I would first like to wish you all a Happy New Year.

I would also like to thank Leon Luckey and my fellow Net54baseball members for your support all these years. We have been in this together for a very long time, many of you way before we used computers, and you are all very special to me. This is despite our moods, the tension of the hunt, or the bitter pill of competition. We all have something very special that we share: The Hobby.

After all these years I still love all this. When I was recovering from my illnesses, it surprised me that it was the first thing I wanted to do again was this. It was something basar, like breathing or loving your mother. That was a scary but important comfirmation that I already knew. Was I crazy (probably) but it is better to know what it is that drives you, makes you who you are, so you might as well just go with it.

I longed, and still long, for the "good old days" of my local flea market of Englishtown (NJ) where collector extraordinaire Richard Merkin once told me "you could fill your car for a hundred bucks." Well I didn't drive and didn't have a hundred bucks but I did my best on a dollar allowance and very understanding antique dealer parents. I remember the winter of 1969 at Englishtown (ironically the locals called it "The Auction") looking for old baseball cards in the cold, dark, middle of the night with a flashlight, wearing two pairs of socks and an oversized Charlie Brown coat.

In the 1970s, it was Brimfield, the greatest outdoor antique market of all, where T206's were a dollar except for Ty Cobb, as were B18 blankets where "Jackson" was a common because no one knew it was Shoeless Joe.

In the 1980s things heated up as the competition had names like Rosen who once came after me with a baseball bat (he missed), Mastro who if he heard of a big deal would call every single soul in the hobby until he found out who it was (and he would find out), and Lifson who actually left the house. We all played for keeps. But as we figuratively spilled blood to be first in line, card and memorabilia which we referred to as "The Stuff," flowed like water. What seemed expensive at the time, sometimes ridiculously so, was pretty much FREE compared to today. Sadly, pretty much all of us were spoiled by earlier times.

The 90s ushered in modern selling techniques and whiz bang marketing, the era of the big dealer and the first auctions (me). As the towers fell, the 21st century brought in the corporate era, the eventual death (and then resurrection) of the big dealer, the birth of grading and authenticators, and the auctions ruled the kingdom. At the tail end, eBay came a knocking.

Today, we are even more corporate but sadly, somewhat soulless. eBay rules the low end, the auctions control the high end. The authenticators allow just about anybody to become a seller despite their knowledge, and technology allows anyone to be an auctioneer, some good, some bad, some great. The gunslingers are either dead, gone, or are wearing suits, analogous or actual. And all are seemingly in check, with Big Brother always watching, the FBI.

But as much as things have changed, they have also stayed the same. The basic thrill is still there, there are always "bargains" large or small, "great finds" truly great or overblown, and painful deals we "just missed" are around the corner. But that adrenalin rush never tempers.

For just these reasons, on a highly indulgent personal note, I am not going anywhere. In the past few years I have beaten cancer twice, lost my gall bladder (no bigee), had a bone marrow transplant (the worst), Hepatitis B (no that was worse) and survived it all. Actually, I am constantly told I look better than I ever have which is a sad testament to how I used to look.

A couple of months ago I lost my kidneys. That's probably why I am writing this. I am on dialysis three times a week while i wait for a kidney. However, I am happer than I have ever been, nicer than I have ever been (perhaps not saying much), I still go to shows if they're good ones, and I deal with many of you personally like nothing has changed. One thing has changed. I appreciate everything I have, the food tastes better, and I love the stuff more than ever. And I am fine. I simply deal with it. Weakness has made me stronger.

I know that makes some of you quite happy with all this because you've told me so, including some of my toughest competitors which makes me quite happy. We should all realize that we make each other stronger and better. Like War Admiral had Seabiscuit, like Frazier did for Ali, the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees, and hopefully like I did for some of you, and vice versa.

In the end, I wish you all the best for 2015. To the characters that make net54 the confounding, frustrating, fascinating and worthy place that it is. Where else could you meet one of a kind personalities like a Dan McKee, a Jeff Lichtman, Leon himself, or even the late Bruce Dorskind? They can all be a bit out of control, but I truly believe have their hearts in the right place and care about the long term preservation and conservation of this thing we call "The Hobby."

And that word "hobby" is key. Years ago people wanted to change that word to "industry" or something similar to gain some level of respectability, to be taken seriously. Shit, this all started with shut-ins and hoarders collecting baseball cards and memorabilia. Unconsciously, we rejected that new label, even fought it. Although money is an indelible part of what we do it should not be the most important part. To forget, ignore or not accept that it is very important is impossible and irresponsible. But to make it all-important is a mistake.

Número Uno should always be the stuff itself.

The stuff is an innocent. It cannot cry out and tell us whether it is real or fake, trimmed or not, or whether it is being vastly overrated. We need to protect it. We can be wrong but it is how we deal with those mistakes on how we should be judged. I am not preaching to you as I make those mistakes every day. Sometimes we are simply not sure. But together we can come closest to the truth. Not one authenticator with the impossible task of sitting in a dark lonely room asking to play judge, jury and executioner in decision making that will have massive ramifications.

The truth should ultimately be decided by a "Consensus of Opinion." This is how we did it in years ago. It is not perfect but nothing is. This takes into account the failings of us humans. Therein lies the answer although sometimes that answer is grey. In those cases we all need the strength to say no. But therein lies the rub, that's a difficult thing for all of us, including myself. But we do our best hopefully, and together we can find strength.

But the key to this "Consensus" lies in communication. And in this forum itself lies a fabulous vehicle for such talk. Just "be excellent" to each other as Bill and Ted would say, listen while others talk, and most of all be patient with us crazy humans.

Sincerely,

Joshua Leland Evans
Chairman
Lelands.com
The Original Sports Auction House
Since 1969

P.S. I would be remiss if I did not tell you I am offering you all a free catalogue to my current auction which is up and running. Just email me at jevans@optonline.net with you name and address and I will be happy to send you one gratis. If you have read all of this you deserve two but I am sure one will do. It's an "Excellent" auction if I say so myself.

Consignments are being accepted now for our next auction. If you have anything you would like to have evaluated please email me jevans@optonline.net. Generous cash advances are available. I will be in the New England area January 7-11, 2015. We will be set up at the "Papermania Plus" Antique Paper Show in Hartford, Connecticut on January 10-11 doing free appraisals, accepting consignments with generous cash advances and also buying outright paying cash on the spot. Call now for an appointment 516-409-9700 or email me jevans@optonline.

boneheadandrube
01-02-2015, 12:28 AM
Thanks for sharing that Josh, perspective is needed with hobbyists in most cases. I've watched the hobby change from the 80's until now, so I understand the hobby of the past that most here never knew. The change has been dramatic in some ways, technology making the availability of both information and merchandise so easy has had a tremendous affect on it. Good luck with your continued passion for all this "stuff" as you called it!

GB

earlybball
01-02-2015, 04:07 AM
Hi Josh, Nice words and I agree with your sentiments. I love this hobby too and I am sure for most of us, it is still about the love of the game and not the money. BTW, I had no idea you were facing so much. Hope you keep strong and keep fighting and have a brilliant 2015! Cheers, Jason from the UK

ZenPop
01-02-2015, 04:27 AM
Thanks so much for your post.

I'm such a newbie at the collecting business that most of the big names (including yours) I'm not very aware of... I only collect for the joy of it... (I don't own any graded cards, for instance... and only have five cards from The Monster set...), but I've really enjoyed being a part of this forum for the last few years and reading so many interesting things about this Hobby we all love. I'm a graphic designer / illustrator... so this ties to of my greatest loves together... baseball and beautiful cards. I used to collect recent cards (1969-present), but now I only really love the prewar-1972 sets... especially the beautifully designed sets (especially Turkey Reds, Cracker Jack, T205, T206, T207, Goudey, Diamond Kings, Playball, Bowman (50-52!!!), & Topps '52-'56 sets). Glorious stuff.

Your post really touched me and I wanted to tell you to hang in there enjoy what life brings you (but it seems you're already doing that!). The story of you for instance, flashlight in hand at the flea market really struck a chord. The idea of taking a cross-country trip some time to visit antique shops or flea markets sounds like my idea of a good time. ...and I love reading about new discoveries. The idea of going back into the past and opening up a pack of 1941 Playballs or 33 Goudeys is a recurring fantasy.

Thank you again for taking the time to put into words what a lot of us feel about this wonderful hobby. Better health and happiness in the New Year!

Cheers!

h2oya311
01-02-2015, 05:06 AM
Great post Joshua - it's been nice having you as a more active net54 forum contributor over the past few months. I'm glad to hear that you are (now) taking what life throws at you in stride.

I wish I had been part of those glory days you speak of. Thankfully, we can still get your flea market experience any time by jumping on the 'Bay and looking for diamonds in the rough! I'd consider giving up my gall bladder for an opportunity to have had hobby chats with Merkin!! His collection was incredible!! I'd prefer to keep my kidneys, though!

Donscards
01-02-2015, 05:33 AM
Josh I loved reading your post--Everything you said is so true. -You are always so interesting to chat with and to have some good hobby fun with. This post hits all of us--We do have the passion and like myself, we love doing the sportscard shows--with the buying and selling and camaraderie. I hope all goes well with you this year and look forward to seeing you in Boston in April. Your friend, Don---PS Would be great to listen to your stories again at the net 54 National Dinner.

timzcardz
01-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Thank you for a very thoughtful post.

May 2015 bring you everything that you wish, and need.

nebboy
01-02-2015, 06:26 AM
Well said, I'm no writer. I wish I was better at putting in words thoughts and feelings about things that matter to me. So thanks Josh for sharing. Wish we were face to face having that exact conversation so I could shake your hand at the end of it. My best to you and all of Net54 in 2015.
John Hanssen

Leon
01-02-2015, 07:20 AM
Very well said Josh. I hope you continue your medical recovery and continue feeling as well as can be. You certainly have a knack for writing and I share others thankfulness of your postings on this board. I am a late comer to the collecting world (going on close to 20 yrs now) but love hearing of the old day stories. And your speeches at the Net54baseball dinners are always the highlight of the night. (*besides my Corona's with limes). I look forward to seeing and hearing you at our Dinner again this year. Thanks again my friend and thanks so much for your support of our board. It is appreciated.

jbsports33
01-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Interesting and good read for the new year, it's hard to make everyone happy in this hobby and just like Josh we all have had our ups and downs – but the hobby for me is just as fun as it was 20 years ago

Josh - visit Barry and I at the Mansfield Ma show anytime!

Happy New Year Everyone

Wite3
01-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Wonderful Josh,
Get better soon!!

Happy New Year!

Joshua

ethicsprof
01-02-2015, 09:52 AM
very,very moving.
It is a delight to hear that you are doing so well.
Your life is obviously quite alive, bright and warm.
You teach us much.
Happy New Year, Josh---with many blessings to follow.
all the best,
barry

MVSNYC
01-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Josh- We've had some fun dealings in the past, you are a true hobby icon.

All the best for your health and happiness in 2015.

Best-
Michael

curtis-cards
01-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Well said. I enjoyed reading that. Here's to a blessed 2015!

CharleyBrown
01-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Well said Josh. Here's hoping that 2015 brings you continued happiness and prosperity (and a new kidney as well!)

I received the catalog - auction looks fantastic!

Thank you again.

Klrdds
01-02-2015, 07:45 PM
My one and only time meeting you was at the National in Atlanta in 1991/1992 and we talked at that time about the next "hot" item in baseball memorabilia. You told me Negro League items and we talked for several minutes about those items , just you and me . Well I took your advice and I can say that then as you always were and have been since were a visionary...you were right and I followed your advice and that it was sound advice. But oh how the hobby has changed since then!
My best wishes to you .
You still do great auctions . I always look forward to them.

CW
01-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Very well said, Josh, and I wish you a healthy and happy 2015!

"The stuff"... I like that! Simple, to the point, and... that's what it is!

buymycards
01-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Hi Josh, I'm glad I took the time to read your entire post. After a really stressful Xmas season at the Post Office, I needed something like this to put my minor problems on the back burner and appreciate what I have.

I hope to run into you at a show sometime.

Rick

Northviewcats
01-03-2015, 09:19 AM
Really enjoyed reading your post, Josh. Puts everything in perspective. I wish you the best in the coming year.

Joe

Kevin Savage
01-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Josh-

Thanks for sharing your story. I know it is very heartfelt, and I found it interestingly introspective. I found your perspective to be quite refreshing and a good read to start off the new year.

Often, us dealers, get caught up in all the day to day deals, business situations, and headaches- and don't really think about how great the hobby is- and how lucky we are all to be involved in this and make a living from it.

Josh- Thanks for helping me to gain a little perspective as we start a new year.
Best wishes on your health- I hope to see you at a show soon.

Kevin S.

Hankphenom
01-03-2015, 11:52 AM
Thanks for taking the time for this, Josh. The hobby would literally not be the same without you, and I always feel reassured to see you at shows. I hope you find a kidney soon, and best wishes for 2015 and beyond.

bigtrain
01-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Josh, Thanks for taking the time to post. As has been said, it puts things in their proper perspective for the start of the new year. Some of the most fun times I have had in the hobby were attending your live auctions in NYC years ago. Hoping your health improves and that you start this new year with a "new" kidney soon.

sforaker
01-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Josh:

Thanks for the great historical hobby perspective and the excellent life perspective as well. You are an incredible, resilient survivor both in the hobby and in life. Here is hoping that 2015 brings you new kidneys and much happiness (including a few finds along the way).

My best,

Scott

oldjudge
01-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Great post Josh. I remember going into Manhattan in the early '90s to bid in your live auctions. It wasn't a big room, but the heavyweights of the New York collecting fraternity were all there(I was a rookie and in awe of all the old timers). Have a great, and healthy, 2015 my friend.

Jay Miller

Exhibitman
01-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Beautiful post; great way to start the year!