PDA

View Full Version : PSA, SGC, GAI etc. flip information...necessary???

marvymelvin
12-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Forgive me if this has already been talked about, but I find it amusing when SGC for instance adds "Collectors Collection" to the information on the flip. See attached photo and link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-20-BILL-TERRY-NY-Yankees-HOF-20-SGC-55-Vg-Ex-4-5-CREASE-FREE-/181626940601?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a49cf2cb9

What does that even mean?

I have seen the name of particular well known collectors on the flip, but even then does it make it more valuable because after all, this well known collector received the card from some grubby old kid or estate sale etc. just like the rest of the collectors at the time. I have a minor interest/amusement by the accession history of a card obtained by Lionel Carter for example but would not pay more for it. As a matter of fact I have the same interest in the history of any card from any collector I buy from.

It is actually fun to trace a cards history of a prewar card I bought, from my purchase of it all the way back to the nickel paid at a candy counter somewhere for it by the first owner. Using my genealogy sleuthing skills I learned from my mother I have actually been successful at a few, and still working on others.

But back to my first inquiry what does "Collectors Collection" on the Terry Goudey SGC flip even mean?

Next bit of humor is when someone puts in the title or description that something was found by Mr. Mint. I automatically don't want it, as it is like buying a stereo out of the back of a truck behind the old roller rink. How honest was the transaction. GAI seemed to think it was important enough and would add to interest or value. See the next link and photo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-TOPPS-FOOTBALL-UNOPENED-CELLO-PACK-W-INSERT-GAI-9-5-GEM-MINT-RARE-PERFECT-/321604650026?pt=US_Football&hash=item4ae121842a

I guess all of these questions together beg the question, does it matter who owned the card previously other than just a bit of fun tracing the origin/history? And does it warrant a notation on the grading company's flip?

Peter_Spaeth
12-29-2014, 06:05 AM
Personally I could not care less who owned it. And while I have heard some claim that t adds some extra assurance of authenticity, I don't believe that, because cards could have been worked on prior to being submitted.

Jay Wolt
12-29-2014, 06:20 AM
I'm a fan of certain pedigreed cards, be it cards from Lionel Carter's impressive extensive collection to
baseball players who had cards of themselves.

Here's some Ted Williams personally owned cards.

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/tedwilliamsfleermccarthy.jpg

GehrigFan
12-29-2014, 06:30 AM
I see the draw in a player's collection or a hobby veteran's collection - wouldn't pay more unless it was a signed card from a player's collection. But I am with you on that dumb "Collector's Collection" label. I was bidding on one and am kind of glad I lost, because my first act would have been to send it back for a regular label!

HRBAKER
12-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Personally I could not care less who owned it. And while I have heard some claim that t adds some extra assurance of authenticity, I don't believe that, because cards could have been worked on prior to being submitted.

Agree

bnorth
12-29-2014, 09:09 AM

Felt the same way till I seen the Ted Williams cards. Now 1 of those I would pay a huge premium for. Any others I would consider it less valuable because of the added writing.

Leon
12-29-2014, 09:29 AM
To me "Collectors Collector" sounds stupid. That being said I might pay a very small premium for a card from Lionel's collection, Nagy's collection, or someone famous in the hobby. However, when I know the provenance of a card and it is truly new to the hobby, from an original collection....those I like a lot. I am the 2nd "family" owner of this card..... I got it from the grandson of the person who collected it as a child. (and this card started my biggest find ever, from outside of our hobby)

http://luckeycards.com/pe902wagner.jpg

Shoebox
12-29-2014, 11:43 AM
I have a couple cards with the Collector's Collection flips as well. Its kind of like if you bought a car, but then were stuck driving it with the previous owner's vanity license plate.

Leon
12-29-2014, 11:45 AM
I have a couple cards with the Collector's Collection flips as well. Its kind of like if you bought a car, but then were stuck driving it with the previous owner's vanity license plate.

I would get it re-holdered. I couldn't live with a flip that said such nonsense.

Runscott
12-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Maybe 'Collector' did it as a sarcastic poke at the Nagy, Carter, etc. personalized flips. SGC might have a rule that a particular person owns the name once it is requested, so now 'Collector' can only be used by this one guy. I think it's amusing and odd, or if my theory is correct, extremely funny.

Econteachert205
12-29-2014, 11:58 AM
I had a collectors collection t205 and hated the look of it. Aren't we all collectors?

brewing
12-29-2014, 12:03 PM
I think a dealer had that added. I have a couple that still have it, but I had it removed from my Aaron rookie.

insccollectibles
12-29-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm partial to Lionel Carter's since I respected the man so much. I pay reasonable premiums for his cards just b/c I enjoy what he did for the hobby and its just cool to say I own a card that was in his personal collection.

Runscott
12-29-2014, 12:12 PM
I had a collectors collection t205 and hated the look of it. Aren't we all collectors?

Yes, but he is THE 'Collector'. He defined himself thus, which I think is witty.

Actually, 'The Collector' might still be available :eek:

Griffins
12-29-2014, 12:43 PM
wasn't "Collectors Collection" the name of a dealer that was set up at the National in '13?

I have a few Nagy's and wouldn't mind a Lionel Carter pedigree, but Collectors Collection and "Mr. X" were ridiculous IMO. And I've heard from numerous people that they would avoid "Harris Collection" completely, due to reservations about the cards.

Peter_Spaeth
12-29-2014, 01:16 PM
REA has listed some Harris Collection cards expressing the opinion that they were slightly trimmed.

12-29-2014, 01:39 PM

I've never had a personalized license plate, because the stock license plates cost too much as it is. If I did have one however, it would be something like this:

http://t6.imagechef.com/ic/imgout/samp43f74a08c1c2d7af.jpg

Sean
12-29-2014, 01:43 PM
wasn't "Collectors Collection" the name of a dealer that was set up at the National in '13?

I have a few Nagy's and wouldn't mind a Lionel Carter pedigree, but Collectors Collection and "Mr. X" were ridiculous IMO. And I've heard from numerous people that they would avoid "Harris Collection" completely, due to reservations about the cards.

+1

Fred
12-29-2014, 01:45 PM
I'm not into a label that indicates a personal collection, however I do have a couple of Carter's cards. I wouldn't pay a premium for the collectors label. I think something like "Oregon Find" or "Cambridge Collection" would be cool, but I wouldn't pay a premium for those either. It would just be neat to know if a card came from a significant find/collection.

Sean
12-29-2014, 01:46 PM
REA has listed some Harris Collection cards expressing the opinion that they were slightly trimmed.

I bought a "Harris Collection" card just so that I could have a piece of that collection. After reading the write-up from REA I went back and checked my card. Sure enough, it's been trimmed. :mad:

Fred
12-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Sean,

The only reason I'd like to have a Hall PSA T206 slab is to show how ridiculous some of those grades were. I can recall a slightly creased card with a 5 or 6 grade. I have that auction catalog somewhere... I wish I knew where it was so I could post some of those ridiculous grades.

Sean
12-29-2014, 01:52 PM
On the bright side, I also have a card from Barry Halper and a card rumored to have belonged to Edward Wharton Tigar. Both cards were hand cut, but I don't mind at all. At least I knew they were hand cut when I bought them.

Sorry, I don't mean to sidetrack this thread with my meandering digressions.

steve_a
12-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Here's a big premium for a player flip. I actually thought I was in on this one for a while but it got silly. There is no doubt that player collection flips add value.

Musial's 49 Bowman (https://www.pricerealized.com/#!/Item/558442/Stan-Musials-Personally-Owned-1948-Bowman-Rookie-36-Card-PSA-VGEX-4)