PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gifts?

71buc
12-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Merry Christmas to all of you. 2014 has been a great year for me. You all have been both educating and entertaining me all year. I am very pleased to be a member of this community. I hope everyone is having a great holiday season.

Did anyone receive any gifts of memorabilia to add to their collection? My wife surprised me by purchasing this photo for me. It is now one of my favorite shots in my original photo collection. I love pictures that tell a story. This one captures the on field pandemonium following Mazeroski’s Oct. 13, 1960 Game 7 walk-off homer. Every time I look at it I see something new. The contrast between Maz being joyously pummeled by well-wishers at home plate and Ralph Terry walking away head down in defeat is poignant. I think the way the crowd has parted for him is very classy. Casey Stengel’s last moments on a baseball field wearing a Yankee uniform are captured on the lower left. How did General Manager Joe L. Brown get to home plate so fast? He can be seen in the middle of the scrum wearing a garish checkered blazer and euphorically choking Maz. His father, comedian Joe E. Brown, was one of the first celebrity sports memorabilia collectors. Speaking of memorabilia collectors, I wonder what happened to the base the guy on the left is stealing, and what in the heck is the souvenir vendor with the pennants doing on the field? Why are all the police dressed in black ignoring the crowd spilling onto the field and running toward home plate? Why are some of the holding their night sticks? Maybe they were Yankee fans?:p

slidekellyslide
12-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Great pic Mike! My brother (also named Mike) picked up this lot for me and really threw me for quite the surprise today when I opened up the package. 1952 Colorado Sky Sox Globe Printing Co album with a complete set (16 of 19 signed by the players)...there was also another near complete set 18 of 19 that are unsigned plus 10 extra doubles/triples, etc. Also included was a bat pencil, comb and hankie, all from the Sky Sox. Sorry for the crappy pics, my camera is at work and I'm not good with my phone.

ooo-ribay
12-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Great pic Mike! My brother (also named Mike) picked up this lot for me and really threw me for quite the surprise today when I opened up the package. 1952 Colorado Sky Sox Globe Printing Co album with a complete set (16 of 19 signed by the players)...there was also another near complete set 18 of 19 that are unsigned plus 10 extra doubles/triples, etc. Also included was a bat pencil, comb and hankie, all from the Sky Sox. Sorry for the crappy pics, my camera is at work and I'm not good with my phone.

Amazing how people used to be able sign a legible autograph. :p

71buc
12-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Dan you must hive great brother. That certainly could not have been easy to find.

jerseygary
12-25-2014, 09:44 PM
My Sister-in-Law gave me a 1951 American Association Who's-Who and record book. It has a bio on all the players from all the teams, including a kid named Willie Mays of the Minneapolis Millers. I can't wait until tomorrow to relax and read through this thing...

slidekellyslide
12-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Dan you must hive great brother. That certainly could not have been easy to find.

My brother has found some amazing items that are in my collection. He knows my collection well and he knows how to find stuff like this.

gashouse34
12-25-2014, 09:52 PM
Received an autographed cut of Wagner nicely framed with photo as well as 3 endorsed store model vintage mitts. Also received some homemade wooden glove stands to display my collection! I'm lucky to have an extremely thoughtful family that find items dedicated to each others interest for Christmas. Happy Holidays to you all and your families.

parker1b2
12-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Nothing really exciting this year as far as the collection goes. My brother did pick this up for me at an antique store. He said he had my wife look in my room to see if I had this one.

Scott Garner
12-26-2014, 08:24 AM
Mike,
Awesome photo! Tell your wife congrats for finding that one for you.

Definitely not prewar, but my business partner found me a cool modern piece that combines my love of Tigers baseball and wine. It's called a BamVino.
I have no idea where I'm going to put this badboy, but it is a lot of fun!

ksfarmboy
12-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Nice gifts everyone. Dan those are really cool. Now go tell your brother to find us the Lincoln and Wichita versions. 😄

slidekellyslide
12-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Nice gifts everyone. Dan those are really cool. Now go tell your brother to find us the Lincoln and Wichita versions. ��

If only they existed. :D You never know though, Globe seems to be an issue with new teams being discovered every few years.

Runscott
12-26-2014, 09:46 AM
I didn't get any, but I gave this old Spalding jersey to my brother. He pitched for Littleon High School, and the purple color is correct.

It arrived on his doorstep with the end of the medium USPS Priority box ripped off, one side flat with a skid mark all the way down it. But the jersey was undamaged.

jdunevant
12-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Not quite memorabilia, but some custom 'art' from my daughter. St Louis Browns, Cardinals StL logo from late teens, and a Rams. Goes with my Cardinals, Blues & a St Louis skyline from last year. Note, the Browns needs modification; she did the fleur de lis upside down.

ooo-ribay
12-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Mike,
Awesome photo! Tell your wife congrats for finding that one for you.

Definitely not prewar, but my business partner found me a cool modern piece that combines my love of Tigers baseball and wine. It's called a BamVino.
I have no idea where I'm going to put this badboy, but it is a lot of fun!

That dude has HUGE hands!

Tom Hufford
12-30-2014, 07:50 PM
My wife gave me a 1940 Play Ball Walter Johnson card - the last card I needed to complete that set. Now, on to the 1941s (that will be my set for 2015).

71buc
12-31-2014, 12:12 AM
I just received this totally unexpected gift in the mail from David (seattlerainiers). Thanks David that was very classy of you. It's random acts of kindness and camaraderie like this that keeps me coming back to this hobby.:)

MGHPro
12-31-2014, 10:51 AM
Nothing really exciting this year as far as the collection goes. My brother did pick this up for me at an antique store. He said he had my wife look in my room to see if I had this one.

Did you guys get that in point pleasant? If so - that's my family's shop.
Matt

joeadcock
12-31-2014, 10:54 AM
I just received this totally unexpected gift in the mail from David (seattlerainiers). Thanks David that was very classy of you. It's random acts of kindness and camaraderie like this that keeps me coming back to this hobby.:)

Mike

Those are great pictures. Since I was small then, I still remember the cool look of photos of 60's and 70's. Good to see a look into personal life of Bob and Orlando.

parker1b2
12-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Did you guys get that in point pleasant? If so - that's my family's shop.
Matt

Hey Matt. Yes he did, have bought several items there over the years and really enjoy that store alot. That's funny it's your family shop.

gnaz01
01-01-2015, 10:42 AM
My Christmas present!!!

parker1b2
01-01-2015, 12:12 PM
My Christmas present!!!

That is an absolute gorgeous piece!!!