PDA

View Full Version : tough call to buy low pop commons

1952boyntoncollector
12-24-2014, 06:06 AM
1954 Ben Wade PSA 8 has about 25-30 in POP..

sold on ebay for 2700 or so yesterday...

another psa 8 ben wade with PWCC a few weeks earlier sold for $5000+

that's a big disparity for the same type of card....I don't see that with HOF players but low pop commons..

looks like in the 5000 auction though only 2 bidders really prepared to go over 3000.....whats strange is the bidder that lost the 5000 auction didn't bid on the auction a week later......

Hammerin'Hank
12-24-2014, 07:27 AM
I've never understood the desire to pay thousands for a common player card.

Then again I quit doing the PSA Registry a few years ago.

I still build sets and prefer graded cards but it makes no difference to me whether PSA, SGC, or BVG grade them. Its the card I want.......not the holder.

To each their own.

Bestdj777
12-24-2014, 12:24 PM
1954 Ben Wade PSA 8 has about 25-30 in POP..

sold on ebay for 2700 or so yesterday...

another psa 8 ben wade with PWCC a few weeks earlier sold for $5000+

that's a big disparity for the same type of card....I don't see that with HOF players but low pop commons..

looks like in the 5000 auction though only 2 bidders really prepared to go over 3000.....whats strange is the bidder that lost the 5000 auction didn't bid on the auction a week later......

Everyone chooses to collect in their own way. I would not spend $3,000 on anything that was not a Mantle card, as I am generally not interested in common cards. But, people buy what they like and I try not to judge. You consider a population of 25 low pop though? I would not think that would be sufficiently rare as to create a premium, but I don't know the set building/registry driven market as well.

As for your comments about PWCC, if you are going to comment on a person or business, you are required to use your full name in the post.

savedfrommyspokes
12-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Everyone chooses to collect in their own way. I would not spend $3,000 on anything that was not a Mantle card, as I am generally not interested in common cards. But, people buy what they like and I try not to judge. You consider a population of 25 low pop though? I would not think that would be sufficiently rare as to create a premium, but I don't know the set building/registry driven market as well.

+1

As for your comments about PWCC, if you are going to comment on a person or business, you are required to use your full name in the post.

Chris, I am not seeing any opinions concerning PWCC...just statements of fact concerning recent auction results...is there something I have missed in regards to the PWCC comments?

Bestdj777
12-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Hi Saved,

I may have just misinterpreted his statements in which case I appologize to the OP. I just assumed he was making the same implications that most of the other threads about PWCC make.

Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season!

Chris

1952boyntoncollector
12-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Hi Saved,

I may have just misinterpreted his statements in which case I appologize to the OP. I just assumed he was making the same implications that most of the other threads about PWCC make.

Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season!

Chris

right I was talking about a pwcc auction on ebay and stating a fact of a past sale.....are we required to have our full name when talk about ebay if giving an opinion ?

glynparson
12-25-2014, 12:37 AM
for a 1954 Topps card in PSA 8 is very low. There is and should be a significant premium applied to such a card. There is more than a half a person per state that would want that card in high grade.

1952boyntoncollector
12-25-2014, 06:15 AM
for a 1954 Topps card in PSA 8 is very low. There is and should be a significant premium applied to such a card. There is more than a half a person per state that would want that card in high grade.

right but 2500 disparity in a week?.....there are not many 5000 psa 8 cards last week on ebay that will sell for 2500 less a week later at open auction ....when cards are the same (not a centering difference etc)

Bestdj777
12-25-2014, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the insight! I have no idea of the market for regular issue cards or how many people are chasing high grade sets.

Hope you all have a great Christmas and get lots of nice cards.

glynparson
12-26-2014, 01:04 PM
just defended there being a premium. I think the second price is probably more in line. If you run enough stuff you occasionally get those auctions where neither guy seems to want to lose. Of course for me they seem to be fewer than some other guys.(OF Course I rarely Run Auctions Anymore)