PDA

View Full Version : Cobb's Style

John V
12-23-2014, 06:21 PM
I saw this photo and it got me thinking about the way Cobb held his bat. I'm no Charlie Lau when it comes to the art of hitting. Since Ty was such a success, why haven't we seen more of this style over the years?

ZachS
12-31-2014, 10:10 AM
The game has changed. Cobb played in the dead-ball era when strategy ruled. The ball changed, park dimensions changed, rules changed... and power hitting became the norm.

itjclarke
12-31-2014, 04:20 PM
As I've undeestood it, he brought his hands together prior to his swing. The separated hands just gave him equal ability to swing or drag/push bunt at any given pitch... But as is case with many hitters, as his bat passed through the zone, I think his swing looked pretty similar to anyone else's.

Runscott
01-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Has there been anyone in our lifetimes who went to the plate with his hands that far apart? It was prevalent in Cobb's day, I'm sure for the reason Ian described, and apparently worked, so why don't today's punch hitters (like Ichiro) use it?

packs
01-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Kevin Youkilis used to keep his hands separated prior to the pitch while in the box. He kept his hands above his head though. Today's game is about power. Cobb's game was about placing the ball. Seems like it would still work for hitters like Ichiro. But there are only so many Ichiro's who have that much control over their swing.