PDA

View Full Version : BF2 Color question

milkit1
12-23-2014, 04:40 PM
So I got two more Joe Tinker this week thinking they were the same color and it turns out they are (marginally) different colors so now I am up to seven different colors on Tinker. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what other colors exist on him. Dont worry I wont nag you to buy yours if you have one. I am just curious how many possible colors there are to get.
Thanks!

Leon
12-23-2014, 04:48 PM
I think there's about a hundred. :) Should be no problem.

milkit1
12-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Going through Google searches and auction searches I've only found a pink color besides the ones I have. I find it unlikely there is much more then ten different colors distributed per player

Bugsy
12-23-2014, 04:57 PM
There are quite a few color variations and I don't believe it was particularly purposeful either. There are slightly different shades of a similar color and these differences are not due to fading or anything else. For example, there is a gray, a light blue, and a gray with a slight pinkish hue.

Yes, the Luderus and Archer are different colors. These aren't stand-alone comparisons. There are some that are definitely gray and others that have a slight touch of pink to them (not from fading).

Bugsy
12-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Here are a few more colors you don't have.

I know Larry Fritsch was collecting color variations 20 years ago, but I have no idea what kind of progress he made.

milkit1
12-23-2014, 04:59 PM
yeah my Tinker beige and yellow are quite close but definetly different colors. Im really curious how many of each color they did. Makes me wonder did they just grab random color sheets as they made them or if there is an actual pattern. My favorites Ive seen so far are:
Tinker - cub blue
Joe Jackson - black

nolemmings
12-23-2014, 05:01 PM
I would like to hear from Chris S.--who wrote an article in Old Cardboard-- and others who collect them, but I thought every player was at least theoretically possible in each of the colors that any other is found. If so, you've got a lot left. Also, I believe there are slight tint differences in known colors, maybe due to fading or minor production differences in materials, that could give the appearance of even more colors. Finally, it may be that there is no definitive statement of what players are on what colors, so that you're always left to wonder if you have them all. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, and I am by no means an expert, so here's to hoping I'm wrong :)

EDITED to add: man I'm slow to respond today.

Bugsy
12-23-2014, 05:03 PM
yeah my Tinker beige and yellow are quite close but definetly different colors. Im really curious how many of each color they did. Makes me wonder did they just grab random color sheets as they made them or if there is an actual pattern. My favorites Ive seen so far are:
Tinker - cub blue
Joe Jackson - black

I think the black is likely a very dark blue. You don't actually see that many with that color. They're pretty stunning compared to some of the other colors.

And that was my feeling on this set. There were just color variations in the felt and they used what they had. It was just a promo item, so they probably didn't sweat it too much :p

milkit1
12-23-2014, 05:09 PM
my gut instinct tells me that they were probably put individually on specific colors thus limiting the amount of colors per players but I dont really know. Here is my Cubs wheel :)

nolemmings
12-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Here's a few of mine that are close to some of what's been shown, and maybe there's scanner explanations, but the yellow is noticeably different than the white when side by side"
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/prewar/various/large/16BF2Rudolph.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/prewar/various/huge/16BF2Schalk.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/prewar/various/huge/16BF2Stallings.jpg

milkit1
12-23-2014, 05:11 PM
very cool! any uncut sheets ever show up?

Bugsy
12-23-2014, 05:13 PM
I would like to hear from Chris S.--who wrote an article in Old Cardboard-- and others who collect them, but I thought every player was at least theoretically possible in each of the colors that any other is found. If so, you've got a lot left. Also, I believe there are slight tint differences in known colors, maybe due to fading or minor production differences in materials, that could give the appearance of even more colors. Finally, it may be that there is no definitive statement of what players are on what colors, so that you're always left to wonder if you have them all. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, and I am by no means an expert, so here's to hoping I'm wrong :)

EDITED to add: man I'm slow to respond today.

You're probably right about color availability. While I have noticed a few players tend to show up in certain colors more often than others, it could be possible that each player was available in each color. I haven't seen much rhyme or reason to it.

It would be fascinating to see one of these sheets in uncut form. How many to a sheet? By the time they were done with this promo, did they produce more of player X than player Y? I swear Honus must be the most commonly occurring one in the set while there are some extremely tough "commons." That can't be due just to Honus' popularity because Walter Johnson is a really tough one too.

It's too bad Larry isn't around. I never really tracked color variations. I don't know how seriously he pursued these, but I know he was doing it early on.

Bugsy
12-23-2014, 05:15 PM
my gut instinct tells me that they were probably put individually on specific colors thus limiting the amount of colors per players but I dont really know. Here is my Cubs wheel :)

Beautiful! And those are actual color variations, not fading or anything like that. Some of those shades are pretty unique :p

milkit1
12-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks!

That white Zimmerman and Vaughn came form a collection of about 12 that were all white. I found that interesting that someone had that many of just that color. Not sure if that means anything though

Bugsy
12-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Here's a few of mine that are close to some of what's been shown, and maybe there's scanner explanations, but the yellow is noticeably different than the white when side by side"
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/prewar/various/large/16BF2Rudolph.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/prewar/various/huge/16BF2Schalk.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/prewar/various/huge/16BF2Stallings.jpg

Those are some really sharp ones too, Todd!

matty39
12-23-2014, 06:04 PM
It has been awhile since I collected these. But I never could find any rhyme or reason to color. Nor do I believe there ever was any attempt by the manufacturer to try to produce these based on color. I think he used whatever colors of felt that he had in stock. Different dye lots brought different shades of felt. Looking at my set, I can distinguish about 15 different colors with subtle shades in between. Below are some poor camera shots of some of the colors.

milkit1
12-23-2014, 06:26 PM
GREAT SET mATTY! I like how you have them on the wall too! Im going to mat mine with my M101 Cubs set similar to this:

I noticed that once again the only Tinker color I see that i dont have so far is that Pink variation. Dying to know if there are any other Tinker colors out there