PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Rookie Year Signature

Luke
12-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Hey guys,

Is this Griff signature good?

I traded for this back in 1990 from a friend. I'd be shocked if it wasn't legit, but since I didn't get it myself, and I have seen a couple different examples of his signature from that time period, I figured I should ask the experts. Thanks in advance!

MacDice
12-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Good.

ATP
12-18-2014, 03:38 PM
I think it is good as well, matches up to some of mine from 1989-1990.

HOF Auto Rookies
12-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke
03-10-2015, 01:12 AM
Thanks guys. I've decided to sell it. Any idea on value? I tried looking on ebay, but there are hundreds of completed auctions with "griffey autographed card" spammed in the title.

HOF Auto Rookies
03-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys. I've decided to sell it. Any idea on value? I tried looking on ebay, but there are hundreds of completed auctions with "griffey autographed card" spammed in the title.

Most likely around $50

ATP
03-10-2015, 10:00 AM
I definitely would not recommend selling it auction style on eBay. The bids for these early career signatures are usually low, probably because folks are used to seeing his later signature and are unsure. I have several of these signed star cards from around 1990, I remember selling one maybe a year ago and I think it only went for $35. You can actually pick them up quite regularly in that range if you watch eBay. I would sell it here or put it up on ebay with a BIN or BO and see what you get.

ScottR81
03-10-2015, 11:48 AM
I just picked this up on Ebay for about $90.00. I would say Griffey Rc's auto'ed should always go for around $100.00 while the 1989 upper deck card will sell for substantially more.

The man has 630 HR's without the use of PED's, one of the best hitters ever. Don't sell him or his auto short. He has tons of fans out there who will spend a little more for a signed rookie.

Good luck!

chaddurbin
03-10-2015, 12:20 PM
I just picked this up on Ebay for about $90.00. I would say Griffey Rc's auto'ed should always go for around $100.00 while the 1989 upper deck card will sell for substantially more.

The man has 630 HR's without the use of PED's, one of the best hitters ever. Don't sell him or his auto short. He has tons of fans out there who will spend a little more for a signed rookie.

Good luck!

i think you paid high when you didn't have to. your card slabbed is around $75, and imo yours should be on the low end because the sig is not that great.

as for the op it's a $50-$70 card. non ud griffey signed rookies don't get that big a price...kinda like greg maddux the supply more than meets the demand. if the regular issues like topps/fleer/donruss get $75-$90 then these star cards is a tier below that.

pooh528
03-10-2015, 12:29 PM

Good luck!

Well, you have no idea for sure that he did not use PEDs...............

HOF Auto Rookies
03-10-2015, 12:36 PM

Good luck!

You def over paid that's for sure. It's a minor set and that card is a checklist.

I got my UD for that price and it's graded out as a 9 i believe.

Luke
03-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Thank you for all the replies guys :)

ScottR81
03-10-2015, 07:09 PM
i think you paid high when you didn't have to. your card slabbed is around $75, and imo yours should be on the low end because the sig is not that great.

as for the op it's a $50-$70 card. non ud griffey signed rookies don't get that big a price...kinda like greg maddux the supply more than meets the demand. if the regular issues like topps/fleer/donruss get $75-$90 then these star cards is a tier below that.

Well Its seems that I might have paid a bit more for it then, but I thought the card was in great condition and thought the auto was nice too. I didnt want to go the 1989 UD route, everyone has that card it seems.

Even though its a checklist card, I like it :)

So why in the world is this listed for this amount:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Star-Griffey-Jr-1-Ken-Griffey-Jr-CL-Rookie-BGS-9-5-BGS-9-Autograph-/381154155150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58be8eda8e

Duluth Eskimo
03-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Well, you have no idea for sure that he did not use PEDs...............

You took the words out of my mouth

HOF Auto Rookies
03-11-2015, 12:18 AM
Well Its seems that I might have paid a bit more for it then, but I thought the card was in great condition and thought the auto was nice too. I didnt want to go the 1989 UD route, everyone has that card it seems.

Even though its a checklist card, I like it :)

So why in the world is this listed for this amount:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Star-Griffey-Jr-1-Ken-Griffey-Jr-CL-Rookie-BGS-9-5-BGS-9-Autograph-/381154155150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58be8eda8e

I'm sorry if my post had any ill-will, but you are correct, the example you picked up is amazing.

In regards to your question, ppl chase the slab grade and not the card. Your card I would believe would garage that well (I would believe based off corners, edges, centering but not survive that we can see). Plus, it's a rookie era auto!!! So what if you pay a few bucks more. I would trade in my Mantle signed rookie for a Mantle signed rookie in awful shape for a rookie era sig on it, not a card show sig.