PDA

View Full Version : t205 ponderings...

whelenfan
12-18-2014, 12:11 PM
I have been trying to learn as much as I can since I have been collecting t205 much more seriously lately. I do have some questions though.
1. Looking at data showing levels of the various backs in t205 show how common some backs are, but looking at the "master checklist" on t205resource shows that backs such as Hassan 649 (with 78 players confirmed) and Sweet Caporal Black 42 and 25 (with 59 and 58 players respectively) aren't on as many players. Does something like this indicate that these players were printed in much higher numbers than something like polar bear or piedmont 25?
2. Would I have a easier time finding cards of these players with other seemingly less common backs such as sovereign or were the amounts printed of these backs still lesser?
3. Minor leaguers were only printed with Hassan 649 or Polar Bear backs right, never with Hassan 30?

I have read quite a bit regarding some of the grouping of certain backs with other backs and find this extremely interesting. I have only begun to try and decipher some of the more complex issues of these wonderful little cardboard treasures.

Thanks to all here.

Wite3
12-19-2014, 07:57 AM
Complex is an understatement...

1. The amount of players seen on a particular back does not correlate to scarcity. We do not know actual print runs but just by watching sales and auctions over the years, you will see certain cards are very common and probably printed in more quantity (I have nearly 20 Bates with Sweet Cap and only one Bates with Hassan 30).

2. The scarcity list that you are looking at (probably the one I worked on) is pretty accurate. I have found that finding a particular player with a less common back is still tougher. The print runs of cards decrease with the scarcity list (see Bates example above). I know a collector that has been trying to put together a master set of Sovereign backs and he is still missing some common players. They just do not show up as often as the less rare backs (Polar Bear and Piedmont). Now if you are just collecting the set and not worrying about getting certain backs and a card comes along that you need...sure buy it.

3. ML's are never with Hassan 30.

Hope this helps...

Joshua

whelenfan
12-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Many thanks,

I honestly started out just wanting to try to build a complete set, but as I learned more (mostly from here), I keep coming up with other possible ways to collect as I go!

I will attempt to get at least one of each back as I go along, but I hope to try to get more of the rarer front/back combos along the way.