PDA

View Full Version : O/T slightly..1921 Invitation to Baseball Game, Dallas Architects (great prose)

Leon
12-18-2014, 10:06 AM
What a neat item that falls into the baseball "invitation" category but is sure fun to read (at least I thought so)...and a little write up from the seller

This came out of a local estate. It is a challenge to a baseball game from to premier architects firms located in Dallas, TX. The firms were Herbert M. Greene and Company and C.D. Hill and Company. The baseball game was held July 8, 1921 on the grounds of the Oriental Hotel. The challenge is on blue print paper and includes photographs of both teams. The front cover has a photograph of Herbert M. Greene. The challenge measures 5 ¼” x 5 ¼” and when opened measures 10 ½” x 5 ¼”.

The Greene team is on the right and Mr. Greene is holding a baseball. The Hill team is on the left and most of the players are wearing Sherwin- Williams Paint caps.

Herbert Miller Greene built over ninety projects throughout Texas and other U.S. cities, and founded one of the oldest continuously operating architectural firms in Texas. In 1922, Greene received a ten-year contract from the University of Texas at Austin to succeed the esteemed Cass Gilbert as university architect, where he worked with associates Edwin B. LaRoche and George L. Dahl on designs for over fifteen buildings on campus. The following year, Greene was the first Texas architect to be elected a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects.

C.D. Hill designed many of Dallas’ prominent buildings and residences in the early 1900′s. They include First Presbyterian Church and the old City Hall building. He was the architect for the five acre estate home on Preston Road that was inhabited for many years by Governor and Mrs. Clements. This 10,000 square foot home was recently been torn down to make room for a larger one. Fortunately, the mansions C.D. Hill designed on Swiss Avenue remain. He originally managed the Dallas office Sanguinet and Staats. He collaborated on the Adolphus and Melrose hotels and designed the Davis Building and First Presbyterian Church downtown.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/about/news/greene.html

.enjoy

http://luckeycards.com/phunc1921hillteamchallenge.jpg

vthobby
12-18-2014, 10:13 AM
leon,

I like the line "Tendered in payment of a just bet"

I'm sure there is a great story behind this!

peace, mike

Leon
12-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Well, I thought the way the little invitation was written was rather neat. I guess I am an outlier again. Nothing new here.

Shoebox
12-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Well, I thought the way the little invitation was written was rather neat. I guess I am an outlier again. Nothing new here.

While I often don't have anything valuable that I can contribute to the conversation I sincerely appreciate you posting unique items like this. One of the best things I like about this forum is seeing the different things I never thought to look for before.