PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding authenticated checks

Westsiders
12-17-2014, 09:51 PM
I've come across a few authenticated checks recently (Ruth in particular), in which the signature itself is much more bold than the rest of the written portion of the check.

My first assumption is that someone else is writing the checks, then Ruth is simply signing them. Is that usually the case?

Thanks in advance.

David Atkatz
12-17-2014, 11:22 PM
No, it's not usually the case. In fact, I'd say it's quite rare to find a Ruth check he himself did not fill out.

And who the hell needs to have checks authenticated? Talk about throwing your money away.

Klrdds
12-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Ruth rarely, if ever , did not completely fill out his checks.
Seeing some pictures of those checks you are talking about could help.
Only authenticate ,in my opinion, if you wish to spend the money, or "have peace of mind", or wish to resell to give your buyer "peace of mind".

Westsiders
12-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Ruth rarely, if ever , did not completely fill out his checks.
Seeing some pictures of those checks you are talking about could help.
Only authenticate ,in my opinion, if you wish to spend the money, or "have peace of mind", or wish to resell to give your buyer "peace of mind".

Here's an example...and there's been a few on ebay recently (and one currently). Here's the link...sorry, couldn't post the actual photo.

http://iconicauctions.com/Babe_Ruth_Superbly_Signed_1946_Bank_Check_Graded_M-LOT39306.aspx

Westsiders
12-18-2014, 08:45 AM
And fwiw, I only mentioned that the check were authenticated so that this didn't turn into one of "those" threads:cool:

ATP
12-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Here's an example...and there's been a few on ebay recently (and one currently). Here's the link...sorry, couldn't post the actual photo.

http://iconicauctions.com/Babe_Ruth_Superbly_Signed_1946_Bank_Check_Graded_M-LOT39306.aspx

That one is definitely filled out in a hand other than Ruth, which you don't see as often. Nice signature though.
Best,
Jeff

w7imel
12-18-2014, 01:34 PM
There is a place in Caire Ruths book about her life with the Babe where she says something to the effect she would make out the checks (Babe still signed them) due to the fact he would spend money everywhere. She also Said she wroth alot of 50 dollar checks for him as spending money...I have seen checks made out like that in someone elses hand but Ruth, But he always signed them. I would be a little more cautious of a check that appears made out to Ruth that has his signature on the reverse as I have seen posts here of people getting burned that way. Just my two cents. Seen a check or two from Cobb as well made out by someone other than him but it was also then signed by Cobb himself.

David Atkatz
12-18-2014, 01:41 PM
She might have said that, but every $50 Ruth check I've ever seen--and they are VERY common--was filled out by the Babe.

w7imel
12-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Was looking at Ruth check pictures and they pretty much all appear made out by the babe, Had questions about this one what do you think?

David Atkatz
12-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Actually, Michael, I stand corrected. That one ^ was filled out by Claire.

Runscott
12-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Mike, when in doubt, look for capital letters in the other part of the check, such as 'T', 'F', 'S', 'R' or 'B'. Then compare to: 'To', 'From', 'Sincerely', 'Babe' or 'Ruth'.

It should be obvious even without doing this, but I recently purchased a counter-check that was not filled in by Ruth, but the auction house thought it was. There are plenty of people who are fooled by handwriting if they want it to be something it isn't, even when there was no attempt at forgery.

w7imel
12-18-2014, 03:31 PM
How about small e? in alot of ruth handwriting I have seen the e is like a slanted w am I saying it right? is that something to look for as well? I hope I am making sense in what I am asking. Almost looks like a capital e but smaller

w7imel
12-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Actually, Michael, I stand corrected. That one ^ was filled out by Claire.
I am only a little fimiliar with claire's wrihting style. Not able to find enough examplers but the C and the small e is what caught my attention. The writing seemed shaky as well to where the babes writhing always looked so perfect at least to me. Not sure if its me but Ruth and mantles signatures always elegant. Almost like they took great pride in everything they signed! JMO

Runscott
12-18-2014, 03:55 PM
How about small e? in alot of ruth handwriting I have seen the e is like a slanted w am I saying it right? is that something to look for as well? I hope I am making sense in what I am asking. Almost looks like a capital e but smaller

I was trying to keep it simple. The 'T' and 'F' are the easiest for those who have trouble with handwriting recognition. You can also look at a 'G' or 'H' and compare to a 'Geo H Ruth' signature.

w7imel
12-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Scott simple is sometimes best for me...haha I had discovered the G on my own sometime back. You guys forgive me if I ask too many question. A little back ground....I have been a collector all my life little stuff mostly (was a little nervous about the bigger autos, ruth cobb maris ect. I was burned on a ruth earlier in life and vowed to never let that happen again) but up until I had found this site earlier in the year I had no one to bounce questions and ideas off of. The internet and its unlimited amount of examples help but that only goes so far. You guys are like this huge library of autograph information that most people will never have access to and I greatly appreciate it!

w7imel
12-19-2014, 01:48 PM
This one too