PDA

View Full Version : T206 coolest looking pose /name

1952boyntoncollector
12-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Looking to put certain T206s on my wall for display...nobody I know will recognize any 'names' including Wagner and Cobb and Johnson...any interesting poses that you T206 guys like or names that will be good conversation pieces when guests check out the cards that know nothing about cards or baseball...

CMIZ5290
12-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Looking to put certain T206s on my wall for display...nobody I know will recognize any 'names' including Wagner and Cobb and Johnson...any interesting poses that you T206 guys like or names that will be good conversation pieces when guests check out the cards that know nothing about cards or baseball...

What the hell?? So why do it? Wow, this is a bad night for Net54 forum....

CMIZ5290
12-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Hell, if they know nothing about cards or baseball as you say, how about Spike Shannon? He would be a great ice breaker....I'm sorry to be sarcastic, but your dialogue seems all too familiar, sorry....Also, if you were registered with PSA, why in the hell would you be asking this forum these types of questions? Just curious....

T2069bk
12-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Merkle throwing would be a fun one to display.

I've always found the artwork on that beautiful and then you can start with the story of the 1908 season, and the stigma attached to what was otherwise a good career.

Also, not sure of the type of guests you have but in certain company you may want to avoid the common name for the play that he is infamous for...but his boner could lead to a memorable conversation as well?!?!

Other nominees....
- Powers (untimely demise)
- Maloney or Del Howard (my wife approves of t206s because she likes the "circus" pictures in the background)
- Not sure where you live but maybe a local team or your favorite team?

brianp-beme
12-17-2014, 11:05 PM
If you are planning to permanently attach these I suggest nailing a Hooker against the wall. It's bound to start conversations.

Brian

swarmee
12-18-2014, 04:31 AM
After seeing the names of players in T206 and the ones in the T175 Heroes of the Spanish (American) War set, I would have to think that Admiral Schlei got his callsign (military nickname) based on this guy:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTQyWDMzMA==/z/kkMAAOxy63FS6-cD/$_57.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfield_Scott_Schley

If you've got some military history buffs, you could put both of them next to each other in a frame.

bn2cardz
12-18-2014, 07:23 AM
Put up a Heinie Wagner. This way you can tell them you have a t206 Wagner :D

Even when they see the card they may have heard of it more than see it and assume you have the super famous card they had heard of.

bigtrain
12-18-2014, 07:38 AM
I always thought it interesting that Criss and Cross are in the set.
I would display them together.

Republicaninmass
12-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Is Ten Million in the Obaks?

Kind of prophesied salaries to come

1952boyntoncollector
12-18-2014, 08:22 AM
Hell, if they know nothing about cards or baseball as you say, how about Spike Shannon? He would be a great ice breaker....I'm sorry to be sarcastic, but your dialogue seems all too familiar, sorry....Also, if you were registered with PSA, why in the hell would you be asking this forum these types of questions? Just curious....

thank you for your kind words........your selling prices are all too familiar...before price drops...

1952boyntoncollector
12-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Put up a Heinie Wagner. This way you can tell them you have a t206 Wagner :D

Even when they see the card they may have heard of it more than see it and assume you have the super famous card they had heard of.

Thanks! that's funny, I going to do that ...not sure why some posters were offended with the start of this thread......the old cards look cool and are better as 'art' than what I have now....some of the ideas I been given here are great..

T2069bk
12-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Is here a reason you are only limiting it to T206? There are tons of other story starters out there...

- Someone mentioned the Ten Million card in Obak.

-A nice t205 Grant (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ultimate-sacrifice-180728112/) (or other set) can get a historical perspective- died in WWI serving the country and helping save the lost battalion....that is a fun lead into the Ricky Schroeder movie on that unit and then somehow you can then start talking Silver Spoons and move it on to child actors etc....

- You can go morbid and display cards of Hack Wilson who was famous for the time and died destitute unclaimed

- Pick up a dummy or a rube- examples of America before we became PC

- Pick up a t207 Marsans, afterall Cuba is in the news

Gradedcardman
12-18-2014, 08:58 AM
I think Hooker next to the Cross card...That would be a good one.

bn2cardz
12-18-2014, 09:55 AM
- Pick up a dummy or a rube- examples of America before we became PC

...or "Chief"

1952boyntoncollector
12-18-2014, 11:16 AM
...or "Chief"

good ideas...only 12 slots to place..i thought of just doing all t206s..

but now considering a second 12 slot hanging with the ideas suggested and will post up photos.

GregMitch34
12-18-2014, 11:35 AM
How about an all-offensive-nickname display with all the "Heinies" and "Japs" and "Chiefs" and "Nigs" -- too bad no "Micks" …

Too bad "Chick" had different meaning then. But then you get the Black Sox story.

Plus Titus for the stache...

Luke
12-18-2014, 11:44 AM
If you're displaying stuff for other people's benefit, why not display something that they would like/know about (probably not baseball cards)? If you're displaying it for you, just put up cards you like to look at.

edjs
12-18-2014, 12:11 PM
I always thought Shag and Hooker should somehow be in the same display.:D

Touch'EmAll
12-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Always thought the Lajoie with bat one of best looking T206's. And some semi-star oomph to boot.

swarmee
12-18-2014, 03:11 PM
I always thought it interesting that Criss and Cross are in the set.
I would display them together.
That makes me want to Jump, Jump.

Texxxx
12-18-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm with Luke on this. If you want to put things up on the wall for your guest then put up things they like. I would only put up what I like though. Its my house after all. So what they don't care anything about it. You do. I have a Picasso on one of my walls and after 30 years hanging there only one person has noticed it as a Picasso. I didn't buy it to show to people. I bought it because I loved it.

1952boyntoncollector
12-19-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm with Luke on this. If you want to put things up on the wall for your guest then put up things they like. I would only put up what I like though. Its my house after all. So what they don't care anything about it. You do. I have a Picasso on one of my walls and after 30 years hanging there only one person has noticed it as a Picasso. I didn't buy it to show to people. I bought it because I loved it.

right of course I will want to like it as well, but I do live a wife who has her own friends.. ....happy wife...happy.....

bn2cardz
12-19-2014, 07:53 AM
I don't really understand why people are getting on the OP about just hanging what he likes. He is, he likes t206, he really just asked for ideas of what may be the most fun to display.

I thought of it more as a conversation starter about which cards are great conversation starters rather than telling him what to collect. He isn't going to collect it just because we post it, but it gives him fun ideas within the spectrum of what he already enjoys to collect while the rest of us get to point out fun ways of looking at the set.

The Nasty Nati
12-19-2014, 01:06 PM
I think this is a great feed. I personally think the portraits are beautiful art pieces, especially the ones that really show the era...like Joe Tinker's ridiculous haircut. But I see you already have some of those portraits.

If you want T206s that the typical person who isn't a sports fan would care to look at while passing by, personally I think these would be some good ones:

- Fred Merkle Throwing (interesting story, beautiful card)
- Bill Donovan Throwing (most amazing sunset shot in the set)
- Mike Donlin Seated (great conversation started because he was a famous silent film star, and I think something is funny about the way he is casually chilling)
- Rebel Oakes (love that action shot)
- Ed Cicotte (most attractive Black Sox player card in the set)
- Willie Keeler w/ Bat (Most gorgeous HOF action shot in the set...if you ignore the pricey Ty Cobbs)
- Al Burch batting (another great sunset card, and it's fun to collect because it's a rather tough common to find in appealing shape)
- Ed Reulbach No Glove Showing (shows off the really cool old school cubs uniform)
- Mike Powers (interesting story for any guest that cares to listen, but a cool image of catchers equipment)
- Hal Chase w/ Trophy (people are bound to ask the story behind the trophy)

Another thought would be to mix up portraits with action shots. Like every other card can be a portrait and then action shot. There are so many great portrait shots as I'm sure you're aware. Like Patsy Dougherty, Ginger Beaumont, Ed Walsh, etc.

Hope this helps. You should post a picture of whatever you end up doing when your project is done. I've actually been thinking about doing the same thing as I already have a display of 30 portrait cards, but I would love to sprinkle in some great looking action shots.