PDA

View Full Version : A Qualified Peeve

frankbmd
12-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Have you ever looked at a scan in a listing, then looked at the existing bid and then looked at the number on a PSA slab and placed a bid, only to realize later that there was also a Qualifier on the flip a line below the number grade? :eek:

I've done this a couple of times. Either you overpay for the card or the seller will void the sale, if he is a kind sole. Happened to me today and fortunately the seller was a kind sole.:)

On this card the qualifier was a (MK), but on the scan front and back I couldn't see the mark. Had I been forced to buy, it probably could have been cracked out and resubmitted to SGC for a higher grade than the original grade -2.:confused:

Evaluating cards with qualifiers seems more arbitrary than subtracting 2 from the number grade, but that seems to be the general rule.

I really don't like PSA qualifiers, although others differ. Just my qualified two cents.:mad:;):D

D.P.Johnson
12-17-2014, 04:49 PM
No, I've never done that...However, I DID notice that ebay is running a special ebucks promotion today and tomorrow...5X ebucks for special VIP members (such as myself of course)...:)...I thought of you and began wishing for a special VIP Frank Bucks promotion...:)...

clydepepper
12-17-2014, 05:24 PM
No, I've never done that...However, I DID notice that ebay is running a special ebucks promotion today and tomorrow...5X ebucks for special VIP members (such as myself of course)...:)...I thought of you and began wishing for a special VIP Frank Bucks promotion...:)...

But remember, you can only earn $500 in EBucks per quarter...but the quarter does end in two weeks.

And you have to remember to activate the offer....I neglected to do this once and I had to plead with Customer Service to get the bonus bucks.

frankbmd
12-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Frank Bucks do not expire until I do.:D:D:D

D.P.Johnson
12-17-2014, 06:52 PM
But remember, you can only earn $500 in EBucks per quarter...but the quarter does end in two weeks.

And you have to remember to activate the offer....I neglected to do this once and I had to plead with Customer Service to get the bonus bucks.

I gotta start shoppin'!!!...:)...

D.P.Johnson
12-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Frank Bucks do not expire until I do.:D:D:D

Not a HUGE selling point considering you're almost old enough to be on a pre-war card...:)...

Peter_Spaeth
12-17-2014, 06:57 PM
I didn't know sole had personality.

familytoad
12-17-2014, 07:22 PM
I saw some very recent cards that were PSA 7 or 8 with MK qualifiers. That totally turns me off.

In this case, it wasn't due to a minor, stray mark on the back of the card, but large writing on the front of the cards!
It was like when we were kids and corrected a players team when he was traded...big written words , not a "mark" and those cards should be graded -5 or 6 like no better than a PSA 2.

You will get a 2 for a tiny spot of paper loss on the back of a card that doesn't affect the card appeal, or 5 grades higher when someone writes in pen across the front of a card!! :rolleyes:

FRANKLY,:D I give a damn about that. So I hope the TPG (PSA especially) will BUCK up and fix this flawed logic.

digdugdig
12-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Why are they called "qualifiers" in the first place?
Shouldn't they be "dis-qualifiers"?:confused:
Sorry, but it always irks me when I see "mint" and "OC" in the same vicinity.:eek:

ethicsprof
12-17-2014, 08:03 PM
I didn't know sole had personality.

I have found Dover sole to be quite friendly before being quite tasty.

all the best, ole buddy

Barry

CMIZ5290
12-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Have you ever looked at a scan in a listing, then looked at the existing bid and then looked at the number on a PSA slab and placed a bid, only to realize later that there was also a Qualifier on the flip a line below the number grade? :eek:

I've done this a couple of times. Either you overpay for the card or the seller will void the sale, if he is a kind sole. Happened to me today and fortunately the seller was a kind sole.:)

On this card the qualifier was a (MK), but on the scan front and back I couldn't see the mark. Had I been forced to buy, it probably could have been cracked out and resubmitted to SGC for a higher grade than the original grade -2.:confused:

Evaluating cards with qualifiers seems more arbitrary than subtracting 2 from the number grade, but that seems to be the general rule.

I really don't like PSA qualifiers, although others differ. Just my qualified two cents.:mad:;):D
Frank- No, I never have.. Not really sure what you're saying here, but you placed a bid on a card that was marked on the flip as a qualifier?... Was the auction disclosed as being a card with a qualifier? If so, it's your baby IMO....

CMIZ5290
12-17-2014, 08:29 PM
This is too much, I can't even believe this is a discussion. What about the seller that has to re-list this card while doing nothing wrong at all....What in the Hell am I missing??

frankbmd
12-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Frank- No, I never have.. Not really sure what you're saying here, but you placed a bid on a card that was marked on the flip as a qualifier?... Was the auction disclosed as being a card with a qualifier? If so, it's your baby IMO....

It was my baby and I offered to buy the card. I also offered the seller compensation for cancelling my bid (I have never cancelled a bid before).
The seller was understanding in this case.

One other time (the only other time) I bought the card. My feedback is over 1000 and has never been below 100%.

This is too much, I can't even believe this is a discussion. What about the seller that has to re-list this card while doing nothing wrong at all....What in the Hell am I missing??

The Net54 crowd has different opinions about just about every aspect of the hobby. To say that a discussion about qualifiers is unbelievable or ridiculous is more unbelievable and ridiculous in my opinion.

CMIZ5290
12-17-2014, 10:01 PM
It was my baby and I offered to buy the card. I also offered the seller compensation for cancelling my bid (I have never cancelled a bid before).
The seller was understanding in this case.

One other time (the only other time) I bought the card.

The Net54 crowd has different opinions about just about every aspect of the hobby. To say that a discussion about qualifiers is unbelievable or ridiculous is more unbelievable and ridiculous in my opinion.

Frank- Nobody is saying that. You are the one that said you placed a bid on a card with a qualifier. How did you not know that? It is clearly on the label, and listed in the description of the card. Plus, most auctions have several days before ending.. Please dont make this out to be anything else....

frankbmd
12-17-2014, 10:19 PM
I shall bend over and await my twenty lashes. I have erred and admitted it, but I think the firing squad would be too harsh.

bobbyw8469
12-18-2014, 04:36 AM
I have PSA graded cards with qualifiers, that I would pay money if someone can show me what PSA thought the MARK or STAIN was on that card! These are qualifier cards that are being unfairly punished due to an invisible or "made-up" flaw!!! If I put these cards on Ebay under a .99 cent auction, these cards are gonna get crushed!!! Everyone talks about "buying the card, and not the flip", but not everyone follows that philosophy!

http://img2.sellersourcebook.com/users/73693/@@_img283.jpg?1418902848http://img2.sellersourcebook.com/users/73693/@@_img284.jpg?1418902875

bobbyw8469
12-18-2014, 04:43 AM
Anyway..in response to the query, if you can't truly see the MARK, it was probably not there to begin with. Pony up, buy the card, and send it off to SGC. Hell, send it back off to PSA if you want to! :D You might be pleasantly surprised and got a super card for a fantastic price!

glynparson
12-18-2014, 04:52 AM
cards where i thought PSA was insane, every time i have cracked them out i have eventually found the st. I am pretty sure it is there you are just missing it. Sometimes the wax on the front is hard to see except in the proper lighting.

bn2cardz
12-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Sorry, but it always irks me when I see "mint" and "OC" in the same vicinity.:eek:

I don't understand how this can irk anyone. The word mint was derived from meaning a coin that looks the way it came from the Mint. So basically stating it looks the way it did when it came from the factory. So a card that is OC was made that way at the factory.

I have never understood how factory made flaws have been used to down grade how much the item looks compared to the day it came from the factory. I understand people don't like OC cards, but that to me is not a condition that has anything to do with whether it is "mint" or not. I do understand that this has been part of the criteria for a very long time, but I have no idea when it started and why.

I will admit I am one of the few that likes qualifiers for condition issues caused in production (I don't like MK or ST). I believe the perfect grading company would give a production grade and post factory grade.

CMIZ5290
12-18-2014, 06:11 PM
I shall bend over and await my twenty lashes. I have erred and admitted it, but I think the firing squad would be too harsh.

No lashes Frank, and no worries from your collecting buddies!:D

Peter_Spaeth
12-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Frank is still trying to process the fact that baseball is played at night, surely we can't expect him to understand the nuances of grading.

Runscott
12-18-2014, 07:04 PM
He's also still upset about being left out of the T206 set.

frankbmd
12-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Frank is still trying to process the fact that baseball is played at night, surely we can't expect him to understand the nuances of grading.

Peter, was not night baseball initially a concoction of the flashlight industry?

But do tell me more about these "new ounces" you speak of.

He's also still upset about being left out of the T206 set.

Scott, I was in the T206 set, before I was out of it. That's what really hurt.

D.P.Johnson
12-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Oddly enough, all of Frank's T206 cards graded by PSA have a (MK) qualifier...:(...