PDA

View Full Version : 1949 Bowman Variations

Sliphorn
12-17-2014, 01:55 PM
I am pasting in scans of pairs of the 12 cards that were re issued with the the last series in the 1949 Bowman set. Notice that there are numerous changes in shifting (Murtaugh, Fitzgerald, and Evans along with color differences. Salkeld has a red B on his hat on one version while Zoldak has a red Indian on one version. Priddy is more toward the front in one version and Mize has yellow striping on his uniform in one version.

ALR-bishop
12-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the info and scans. You might want to also post this in prewar, pre 1980. There are a bunch of variation infected folks over there :)

1963Topps Set
12-17-2014, 08:37 PM
I was thinking the same...

Sliphorn
12-20-2014, 11:42 AM
I am new to the forum. How do I post it in the right place?

Thanks.

ALR-bishop
12-21-2014, 07:16 AM
You could ask Leon to move it, or you could just start a new thread with the same post in the other forum

tedzan
12-21-2014, 07:31 AM
In 1949, Bowman printed their sheets in 36-card formats. The 7th (last) sheet included only 24 subjects, so they added 12 cards from their early series to fill-out this sheet.
Name boxes were added on their fronts of these re-printed cards and certain re-printed cards' background colors were changed to conform to the design of the 7th sheet.

Here is my concept of how this 7th sheet was formatted. I have numerous (back) overprints which verify the placements of 33 cards on this sheet (Dillinger, Fitzgerald, and
Salkeld card locations are yet unknown).

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/1949Bsimulated7thsheet.jpg
.................................................. ....... Murtaugh ........................................ ? .................... Priddy ................... ? ..................... ?

The " ? " notations indicate unknown card placement.

TED Z

tedzan
12-21-2014, 07:50 AM
I refer to these printing errors as "Slates"......

The backgrounds of Snider, Sisler, and Doby are normally YELLOW, and the Campy is ORANGE

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/49BslateSniderCampySislerDoby.jpg

TED Z

1963Topps Set
12-21-2014, 07:59 AM
I recall the Campanella card selling in one or Mastro's auctions...

brightair
12-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Sliphorn,
I believe your photos are the known 6 no name on front / name on front and the known 6 printed name on back / script name on back variations. But I can't see the backs of the last 6 to be sure.
I'd be interested to know if this is correct or have you found other variations, or versions of these variations?
brightair

tedzan
12-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Double post

tedzan
12-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Double post.

tedzan
12-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Hey guys

Check-out my BaseBall Cards Magazine article (Spring 1983) titled " Mystery's of the 1949 Bowman's "....co-authored
by Ralph Triplette and Ted Zanidakis. You'll find it to be very informative regarding this Bowman set.

The 12 variations......

Original 3rd series cards

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt113/zanted86/a493bowman.jpg

Mize ............Blue (No Name on Front)
Priddy ..........Blue (No Name on Front)
Rizzuto ........Orange (No Name on Front)
Salkeld ........Orange (No Name on Front)
Scheffing ......Red (No Name on Front)
Zoldak .........Green (No Name on Front)

Re-printed cards from 3rd series on 7th sheet

Mize .............Blue (Name on Front)
Priddy ...........Blue (Name on Front)
Rizzuto ..........Orange (Name on Front)
Salkeld ..........Yellow (Name on Front)
Scheffing .......Orange (Name on Front)
Zoldak ...........Orange (Name on Front)

Original 4th series cards

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt113/zanted86/1949bowman4thseriesheet.jpg

Brazle ............Blue (Name on Front) (Script)
Dillinger..........Blue (Name on Front) (Script)
Evans ............Orange (Name on Front) (Script)
Fitzgerald .......Green (Name on Front) (Script)
Majeski ..........Orange (Name on Front) (Script)
Murtaugh .......Red (Name on Front) (Script)

Re-printed cards from 4th series on 7th sheet

Brazle ............Yellow (Name on Front)
Dillinger ......... Light Blue (Name on Front)
Evans .............Red (Name on Front)
Fitzgerald .......Green (Name on Front)
Majeski ..........Green (Name on Front)
Murtaugh ........Red (Name on Front)

TED Z

Sliphorn
12-25-2014, 11:05 AM
brightaire, you are correct. I have the reverse of the P/S cards and originally was going to just scan the front of the NNOF vs. NOF six and the reverse only of the P/S guys but thought what the heck and did the fronts of them as well. This is why the deviations on those six.

Sliphorn
12-27-2014, 03:22 PM
The scans are of the variations with print versions. I had originally wanted to just scan the fronts of the NOF vs. NNOF and the backs of the P/S ones but went ahead and scanned the fronts without knowing that there would be differences there as well.

Sliphorn
12-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Here are the reverses of the print vs. script ones. Sorry about the delay as I do not look at this thread very often and missed the request.

toppcat
12-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Nice!

Sliphorn
12-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Sliphorn,
I believe your photos are the known 6 no name on front / name on front and the known 6 printed name on back / script name on back variations. But I can't see the backs of the last 6 to be sure.
I'd be interested to know if this is correct or have you found other variations, or versions of these variations?
brightair

Yes, the six are the fronts of the print/script pairs. I did not post the backs as they would be obvious. I posted the fronts as they are different from each other.