PDA

View Full Version : Rube Waddell photo...

GKreindler
12-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you fellas might be the owner (or know the owner) of the below Rube Waddell photo:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/Image34_zps32f4d624.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/Image34_zps32f4d624.jpg.html)

The photo was taken in Grace Lutheran Sanatorium shortly before he died in 1914. I've always thought it was pretty damn haunting in pretty much every way.

So yeah, I'd LOVE to paint it some day, but I'm afraid the only version of the image I've found is the above. Certainly if any one of you had it and was willing to provide me with a high-res scan, I would be happy to pay you for your time and trouble. Fo' serious.

I know the chances are slim, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Graig

tazdmb
12-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Isn't that from Smithsonian Baseball book? I would imagine it would list the owner in the book. Just an idea.

sporteq
12-17-2014, 01:14 PM
No kidding.. that looks haunting!

Albert

Runscott
12-17-2014, 01:33 PM
I get the willies looking at that picture - I'm wondering if it's a post-mortem. Can't imagine how creepy a larger, color, lifelike Kreindler version would be :eek:

JeremyW
12-17-2014, 02:10 PM
I looked through my "Smithsonian Baseball" book & didn't see it. I do think that I've seen it before, just can't remember where. Spooky, indeed.

smokelessjoe
12-17-2014, 02:22 PM
I'm tellin ya' somebody on the board has it or did have it... It seems like maybe it was posted in the pick-up thread or who knows? A couple of years ago maybe??? I am certain it was posted on the board and if I remember right, got several responses...

For what that is worth????:rolleyes:

GKreindler
12-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks for chiming in, everybody.

I don't think the image was in the Smithsonian book, as I can't remember actually seeing it anywhere but on the Internet. I would imagine that it's sitting somewhere in an advanced Waddell collection, if such a thing exists.

I first saw it a few years back and was immediately drawn to it. Absolutely haunting in every way. I don't even think it could be a large painting or anything like that, but I have this vision in my head of all of these muddled greens and grays throughout, especially in his skin. Damn, I really wanna bring that to life. Or death.

And for the record, what an odd character Rube was.

Graig

tjb1952tjb
12-18-2014, 02:14 AM
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you fellas might be the owner (or know the owner) of the below Rube Waddell photo:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/Image34_zps32f4d624.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/Image34_zps32f4d624.jpg.html)

The photo was taken in Grace Lutheran Sanatorium shortly before he died in 1914. I've always thought it was pretty damn haunting in pretty much every way.

So yeah, I'd LOVE to paint it some day, but I'm afraid the only version of the image I've found is the above. Certainly if any one of you had it and was willing to provide me with a high-res scan, I would be happy to pay you for your time and trouble. Fo' serious.

I know the chances are slim, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Graig

I found this reference to this Rube Waddell photo........FWIW:

"Source: Smithsonian Baseball: Inside The World's Finest Private Collections, by Stephan Wong, 2005, pp. 244."

TimCarrollArt
12-18-2014, 06:34 AM

"Source: Smithsonian Baseball: Inside The World's Finest Private Collections, by Stephan Wong, 2005, pp. 244."

Whoa....I actually have that book on the way. It was sent media mail, so it may take a few days longer (especially with the holidays). I'll shoot you any information about the photo I find once the book arrives.

By the way.....I'd love to see that Rube in "KreindlerVision" color!

Tim

Scott Garner
12-18-2014, 06:48 AM

I own this book and checked.
Unfortunately the reference in the "Smithsonian Baseball: Inside The World Finest Private Collections" references a different photo of Rube in uniform that has actually been signed and inscribed on the back. This reference does not have anything to do with the photo that Graig is looking for info on.