PDA

View Full Version : Possible 1930's Vince Lombardi worn West Point team sweater

baseball tourist
12-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Apparently has Lombardi's name in the collar and possibly photo matched?

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=63030

Bobmc
12-15-2014, 11:17 PM
FWIW, in my opinion, the white bordering around each letter in W E S T appears broader/bolder in the photo vs the sweater. The 'S' in W E S T also appears to be a different shape upon comparison, in my opinion.

Could be from wear, but the letter 'I' in P O I N T has very little white border on the sweater compared to the 'I' in the photo.

khkco4bls
12-16-2014, 05:18 AM
the W doesn't seem to line up with the P. It looks like its off

Hot Springs Bathers
12-16-2014, 07:02 AM
Looks dead on to me!

packs
12-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Wouldn't any West Point sweater appear to be photo matched? It just says West Point and it's a sweater. What this person has, in my opinion, is a West Point sweater and a photo of Vince Lombardi wearing a West Point sweater, but how can they say it is THIS sweater?

Lombardi's sweater in the photo has a flaw at the top of the T in West and the right of the T in Point. The sweater believed to be his does not. It is also missing the flaw above the S in West. It could still be his sweater but I don't think you could use that photo as definitive evidence.

Runscott
12-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Someone on GUU pointed out the two white spots that match up at the bottom. That could be significant - if there is a match there, check the sweater for manipulation at that point.

Amazing find if it is legitimate.

iwantitiwinit
12-16-2014, 10:53 AM
That sure looks like the same sweater to me. Those letters have to be hand sewn given its age which makes each sweater unique. The zipper in the photo of him wearing it matches exactly with the item in question it decends to the exact same spot and appears to me to be the same distance away from the i and n in point. When looking at some of the other points it is a bit difficult to tell if your sweater is exactly flat on the surface you have and some of the pulls in the lettering have to be ignored because they could easily have happened after Vince is shown wearing it. One other key thing is the thickness of the t in point. That t is unique as it is different from the t in west. That t in point in my opinion matches in both photos.

I think its HIS!!!!

vintagesportscollector
12-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Looks like a very strong match. I wouldn't say it's absolutely definitive, but I also don't see anything that clearly shows it couldn't be a match. Would be helpful to see other exemplars...if they all look like they could match then you're back at square one.

perezfan
12-17-2014, 02:35 PM
The two white spots at the bottom do not appear to correctly align. But I see subtleties in the lettering that compare perfectly with the picture.

Will be interesting to learn more about this one...