PDA

View Full Version : 1961 Dice Game

craigpw
12-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Thought I'd relate a sad story. In 1991 I was offered 12-15 Topps Dice Game cards all in near mint or better condition and reasonably priced. For some reason I decided to buy just one and let the others go. Here's my one Topps Dice Game card, please post images of other Dice Game Cards.

Thanks,
Craig

hcv123
12-15-2014, 04:38 PM
12-15 - I thought only Larry Fritsch had that kind of supply!? I don't have any, but I know a couple of other board members who have some - guys??

toppcat
12-15-2014, 04:51 PM
I'd love one but suspect the pricing has passed me by....

ALR-bishop
12-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Bob and Larry both have some. I just have the Kaline I posted in the proof thread

sflayank
12-16-2014, 08:45 AM
hi
i have pascual but im still a buyer
let me know if u want to sell
thanks
larry

Mark70Z
12-16-2014, 04:51 PM
I "need" the Brooks Robinson dice game card, but just couldn't afford it, or even justify the expense, when it came up in auction a while back. In the H&S action the Brooks went for around 19K if I can recall correctly.

So, whoever owns a Brooks Dice Game card, remember the Brooksie single player collector is in "need", or "want" if you want to be picky about it...

Mark70Z
12-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Bob and Larry both have some. I just have the Kaline I posted in the proof thread

Al,

Please post it here too; you know we love your Kaline Dice Game card!

cardinalcollector
12-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Is Bill White confirmed in this set?

Karl Mattson
12-16-2014, 10:18 PM
I had the Earl Battey card; bought it in Willow Grove in 1984 or 1985, sold it in the early 1990s. My recollection is that I was offered several others, but I was such a "mint fanatic" that I passed on them due to condition. The Battey wasn't mint - it had the typical staple holes - but it had nice corners and the staple holes were nearly invisible.

I had similar experiences with 1955 Topps Stamps and 1970 Topps Cloth Stickers (and several other more "common" test issues). I managed to find groups of each from dealers like Mid-Atlantic Coin, Rosen and Morris, then "cherry-picked" the nicest ones and turned my nose up at the others, not realizing how rare they were. Again, I sold these and most everything I had around 1991, some through SCD ads and some to Levi Bleam.

When I first got on the internet in 1997 and then eBay a year later, I thought I'd be able to find and replace all the stuff I regretted selling. Didn't happen. :)

ALR-bishop
12-17-2014, 06:56 AM
Neat story Karl. I have just one each of the 61 Dice, 55 Stamps and 70 Cloth. Along with the 66 Punch Outs and recently posted 71 Rookie Artists Proofs, they seem to be the rarest of the unissued Topps test sets.

hcv123
12-17-2014, 01:15 PM
I had the Earl Battey card; bought it in Willow Grove in 1984 or 1985, sold it in the early 1990s. My recollection is that I was offered several others, but I was such a "mint fanatic" that I passed on them due to condition. The Battey wasn't mint - it had the typical staple holes - but it had nice corners and the staple holes were nearly invisible.

I had similar experiences with 1955 Topps Stamps and 1970 Topps Cloth Stickers (and several other more "common" test issues). I managed to find groups of each from dealers like Mid-Atlantic Coin, Rosen and Morris, then "cherry-picked" the nicest ones and turned my nose up at the others, not realizing how rare they were. Again, I sold these and most everything I had around 1991, some through SCD ads and some to Levi Bleam.

When I first got on the internet in 1997 and then eBay a year later, I thought I'd be able to find and replace all the stuff I regretted selling. Didn't happen. :)

I sold 1 I regretted - I had the 1966 Mays punchout. "stole" out of a Rosen auction of all places ~20 years ago. Sold it for a nice profit (~1k) to a Mays collector shortly after. Huggins and Scott just auctioned it off for I think about 23k :(:(

Karl Mattson
12-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Neat story Karl. I have just one each of the 61 Dice, 55 Stamps and 70 Cloth. Along with the 66 Punch Outs and recently posted 71 Rookie Artists Proofs, they seem to be the rarest of the unissued Topps test sets.

I wasn't even aware of the Artists Proofs in the 1980s, and the 1966 Punch Outs weren't on my radar, either. Besides the '61 Dice, '55 Stamps and '70 Cloth, my other grail was the Plaks - I had 12 or 13 of them, and searched like crazy for the others, some of which I know now probably never existed.

In 1984, my company (Cargill) actually transferred me from Minneapolis to an office right in Willow Grove - I think I spent my transfer bonus at a card show the first weekend. :) There were shows within driving distance pretty much every weekend back then.

I don't recall many other collectors pursuing test issues at the time, and most of what I turned up was through persistence - always giving out updated want lists to dealers, badgering Rosen and Morris on the phone, taking out SCD classified want ads (which actually netted me quite a few items).

I bought my 1955 Stamps from Mid-Atlantic, but only after going to their office/warehouse and asking if they had any oddball stuff. Someone (Rex?) led me to a room, left me there alone and told me to come get him if I found anything of interest. I found 7-10 stamps, but only 3 were uncreased or not miscut. At the time, I don't think anyone knew if they were a legitimate test issue. My recollection is that I just took the 3 nicest ones and paid $10-$20 each for them.

To illustrate how much of a "mint freak" I was, even though I collected everything Topps from 1951-1989 (I got as far as 85% complete, all NMMT and centered, before throwing in the towel), I wouldn't buy any of the 1960 or 1964 tattoos because of the tears they virtually always had. Around 1989, I finally bought a small stash of unissued 1964s from someone that were minty fresh, but I only kept the Killebrew - I finally had it graded a couple of years ago. I think I also agonized about the centering on the 1974 Puzzles, but finally put a set together after it became clear that no centered versions existed for several of them. :)

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq110/kmattson40/tattoo_zps93e86e89.jpg

Karl Mattson
12-17-2014, 02:21 PM
I sold 1 I regretted - I had the 1966 Mays punchout. "stole" out of a Rosen auction of all places ~20 years ago. Sold it for a nice profit (~1k) to a Mays collector shortly after. Huggins and Scott just auctioned it off for I think about 23k :(:(

Holy cow! I'm not sure I want to know if any of the stuff I had is worth that much today! :)

Owning rare or unique items, even if only briefly, is a special kick, ain't it? Even when family and friends think you're nuts. :)

hcv123
12-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Holy cow! I'm not sure I want to know if any of the stuff I had is worth that much today! :)

Owning rare or unique items, even if only briefly, is a special kick, ain't it? Even when family and friends think you're nuts. :)

It is. I appreciate knowing that I was in the chain of ownership. Still have a number of items that fit the bill.

What I really love about those family and friends think I'm nuts thing is when I tell them about selling something that they thought I was nuts for buying at a huge profit - I don't usually hear about how nuts I am at the end of those stories :-)

ALR-bishop
12-18-2014, 12:32 PM
The Plaks were a plague on me for some time until Mile High came up with a bunch of them and I was able to fill out the set. The checklists also go for a lot these days.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img008.jpg
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img006.jpg
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img665_zpsb3a81d47.jpg

Another tough issue

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img683_zpsda2782be.jpg

moeson
12-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Karl, I know what you mean about the 1974 Puzzles. I'm not sure why the catalogs even give pricing for MT centered Ryan or Allen puzzles. Having once had the privilege of owning and opening several boxes, I'm pretty sure they never made it out of the pack that way.

ooo-ribay
12-18-2014, 04:36 PM
I "need" the Brooks Robinson dice game card, but just couldn't afford it, or even justify the expense, when it came up in auction a while back. In the H&S action the Brooks went for around 19K if I can recall correctly.

So, whoever owns a Brooks Dice Game card, remember the Brooksie single player collector is in "need", or "want" if you want to be picky about it...

I often use the air quotes when I tell someone I "need" something. :p

ALR-bishop
12-18-2014, 06:10 PM
"It's easy to sit there and say you need more money. And that's what I like about it, sitting there, rocking back and forth, and wanting that money "....Jack Handey

bobsbbcards
12-18-2014, 08:56 PM
http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1961/1961toppsdicegame/61ToppsDiceGameEBattey.jpg http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1961/1961toppsdicegame/61ToppsDiceGameLWagner.jpg

Karl Mattson
12-18-2014, 10:20 PM
LOVE the Dice Game cards, Bob. I'm assuming those have no staple holes, since they're graded so high?

From what I've read over the years, there are possibly 3 or 4 copies of each card in existence? One with staple holes, one factory cut, 1 cut from a sheet, and another still in sheet form? Anyone know if the sheets each had a complete set?

Al, the Plaks are probably still my favorite test issue. When Mile High came up with their "find", I was tempted to finally complete the set, even though it would have cost something crazy compared to the $300 or so I spent on the 13 I owned way back when. I settled for just getting a Killebrew.

You may recall, a couple of years ago I wrote on this forum that I believed I once owned a Drysdale Plak, which was apparently a false memory. What nags me, however, is I've been telling the story of owning a Drysdale Plak ever since getting on the internet in '97, which was only 6-7 years after I sold my collection. It's probably still a false memory, but if so, I at least feel confident it's not because of old age. :)

ALR-bishop
12-19-2014, 07:02 AM
Karl--you could turn out to be right. I hope not :).

The same issue exists on the 67 Punch Outs. Like the Plaks, SCD had a checklist but no one had ever found several of cards with listed captains. They then changed the listing to say the missing captains likely did not exist. Then one of the missing captains showed up. I think Mays, which may have been a prototype like the Robinson 3D. I think Larry here got that. So my completed set may be one short. :(. Unless the Mays was a prototype, in which case it could be viewed as separate from the set, like the Robinson.

I think Bob and Larry have both also completed the 67 Stand Up set. I am still 3 short on that one :(

Bob-- those Dice cards look great. You should post a couple of your 70 cloth.

Karl Mattson
12-19-2014, 10:36 AM
ALR-bishop: Karl--you could turn out to be right. I hope not :).

Yeah, probably not much chance. For what it's worth, I'm confident I never owned any of the other missing players from that set.

Does anyone know if Levi collects/hoards this kind of stuff? Or would he have just flipped anything I sold him 20+ years ago? If by some chance I owned something unique back then and sold it to him, would he have shared that info with the collecting community over the years? I guess I could try and reach out to him, but I'm afraid he'll say he has no recollection of me and put all my memories in doubt. :)

My collection paled compared to yours, Bob's and Larry's, but I've never seen any Tests on eBay or in any auctions that I felt certain once belonged to me.

Karl Mattson
12-19-2014, 10:38 AM
I think Bob and Larry have both also completed the 67 Stand Up set. I am still 3 short on that one :(

I assume you guys mix-and-match and don't distinguish between the proofs and the die-cuts? Is it even possible to put a set together of only one type?

ALR-bishop
12-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Levi has some stuff on the Registry, and I am pretty sure he has his own collection which likely includes a lot of rare material. I correspond with him a bit on the stuff I am still looking for, but have never asked him if he has any of it himself .

I have found that when I send him questions or observations to his email on his web site, I get fairly prompt responses unless he is at a show ( levi@707sportcards.com)

cardinalcollector
12-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Has anybody ever seen a Bill White dice card? He's been checklisted for years, I've never seen a photo.
Al or Bob?

ALR-bishop
12-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Nope. I am still looking for his 59 "traded" card:)

Mark70Z
12-20-2014, 05:18 AM
From what I've read over the years, there are possibly 3 or 4 copies of each card in existence? One with staple holes, one factory cut, 1 cut from a sheet, and another still in sheet form? Anyone know if the sheets each had a complete set?

Can anyone weigh in on the estimated amount of copies in existence as noted above? In the Brooks example the only one I've personally ever seen was the example with the staple holes in the top of the card. Does anyone have another example? If so, I'd love to see a scan/picture of the card and/or sheet or if they have ever seen another example so I at least know there are more out there...somewhere.

Also, one more thing, these are completed cards printed both on front and back. They're not like, for example, the ''67/'68 Topps discs where they are all basically proofs. So with these cards being complete wouldn't you think there would be some type of proofs out there for these particular cards?

Mark70Z
12-20-2014, 05:21 AM
I often use the air quotes when I tell someone I "need" something. :p

Ha! "Maybe" I got it from you ;) I really can't recall how I ever started to use quotes like that.

Mark70Z
12-20-2014, 05:44 AM
"It's easy to sit there and say you need more money. And that's what I like about it, sitting there, rocking back and forth, and wanting that money "....Jack Handey

Al,

I'm not sure if this quote is in reference to me or not, but it sure sounds like it may be. So, let me make a few comments if you are referring to me. First, I do need more money so you've got me there, but I do not and don't plan to purchase in the future a rocking chair, a La-Z-Boy maybe, but not a rocking chair. Secondly, I would not think about wanting more money rocking back and forth in the newly purchased La-Z-Boy, I'd think about that '67 Disc sheet, or maybe the '74 Topps Deckle sheet w/Brooks included, something in that regard.:eek:

Also, if you'd like to reference me in the future, please make it a sports quote, I like sports quotes and what would be even cooler would be a Brooksie quote.:D

ALR-bishop
12-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Mark-- the quote was not directed at you and although it deals with money I was relating it to the discussion of rare cards many of us here wish had or hope to get. It applies to me as much as anyone :)

Karl-- I mix and match on the 67s, but I think Larry is mostly die cuts. not sure about Bob, but think they both have full sets

Mark70Z
12-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Al,

I hope you know I was just joking anyway...

bobsbbcards
12-20-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm assuming those have no staple holes, since they're graded so high?

Correct. No staple holes. My Frank Robinson has staple holes, and my Mick was the sheet cut one. I think Larry's Mick is the factory cut/staple hole version. From what I hear, Larry Fritsch (or son) has the uncut sheet.

I have a complete set of the proof (think, no die cut) Standups. Sort of the poor-man's version. :o

sflayank
12-21-2014, 07:39 AM
67 stand up set is all die cuts..have a few proof..not really working on that
plaks i have mays with staub and howard on it i believe..other 4 probably dont exist but who knows
punchouts 197 different out of 198...i lost one cant find a replacement for it
5 captains that were listed do not exist
dice game 10 different...out of 13 ive seen got outbid on mays and wagner(bob)
5 cards of each i believe...1 sheet, 1 cut sheet 1 set of staples, 2 factory cut
1955 stamps have 17 different
67 discs complete
67 giants discs complete
68 discs only have 7 in foil form a few more in proof form

toppcat
12-21-2014, 09:13 AM
Larry I would love to see your list of 55 Stamps :eek:

ALR-bishop
12-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Larry--are you source for 55 Stamps listed in SCD ? If not, how does your list compare.

You also have some of the 66 Punch Outs, right ?

What 67 dupes do you have ?

A guy selling on ebay put together a full set of the 67 Stand Ups in proof and die cut format. He sold them with a mock up of the empty box that sold at auction some time back ( Larry - did you get that ? ). All the cards came in mock up wrappers. There were also easels . They were very well done. From a scan you could not tell them from the real proofs. He sold them clearly labeled as Reproductions and I have not seen him list them again, but it would make me cautious in buying any further proofs for the 3 I still need. I did buy one of each of the sets he put up on ebay, with a box, wrappers and easels

sflayank
12-21-2014, 09:55 AM
the 55 stamps i have...+3 dupes
BOONE,GOMEZ,SHEPARD(2),MOSSI,POLLETT,SKINNER(2)
SPOONER,SKOWRON,PENDLETON,JOLLY,HOFMAN,WHITE
JABLONSKi(2),CUNNINGHAM,HADDIX,TREMEL,VALENTINE
66 punchouts
skowron/flood
robinson/mcmillan
mays/conigliaro\
grant/callison
67 standups all die cut...have some proofs not working on that set

toppcat
12-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Larry--are you source for 55 Stamps listed in SCD ? If not, how does your list compare.

You also have some of the 66 Punch Outs, right ?

What 67 dupes do you have ?

A guy selling on ebay put together a full set of the 67 Stand Ups in proof and die cut format. He sold them with a mock up of the empty box that sold at auction some time back ( Larry - did you get that ? ). All the cards came in mock up wrappers. There were also easels . They were very well done. From a scan you could not tell them from the real proofs. He sold them clearly labeled as Reproductions and I have not seen him list them again, but it would make me cautious in buying any further proofs for the 3 I still need. I did buy one of each of the sets he put up on ebay, with a box, wrappers and easels

Al are these the same as the 3-D easels?

ALR-bishop
12-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Dave---sorry I misremembered what he put together. No easels. Here is a scan of the box and packs he made and a copy of each type of card, die cut and proof, next to my real ones

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/standups916_zpsa8f6114c.jpg?t=1419110375
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/standups917_zps49a83228.jpg?t=1419110376
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/standups918_zps0d27f09f.jpg?t=1419110377
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/standups919_zps715eddab.jpg?t=1419110466

judgejules1
01-28-2015, 12:16 PM

judgejules1
01-28-2015, 01:06 PM
the 55 stamps i have...+3 dupes
BOONE,GOMEZ,SHEPARD(2),MOSSI,POLLETT,SKINNER(2)
SPOONER,SKOWRON,PENDLETON,JOLLY,HOFMAN,WHITE
JABLONSKi(2),CUNNINGHAM,HADDIX,TREMEL,VALENTINE
66 punchouts
skowron/flood
robinson/mcmillan
mays/conigliaro\
grant/callison
67 standups all die cut...have some proofs not working on that set
I'm new to this board, but it's nice to find out who my mays/conigliaro went to. I put that up with Huggins and Scott.

hcv123
01-29-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm new to this board, but it's nice to find out who my mays/conigliaro went to. I put that up with Huggins and Scott.

When/what got you started? Are you still actively collecting? Looking to sell?

Gmrson
01-31-2015, 11:32 AM
I was offered the Brooks Robinson back around 1983 from Greg Businneau for $350. Quite a bit of money for a 17-year-old, but I had always bought all the other Brooks Robinson test issues that Greg had offered me. I asked for a couple days to get the money together which he agreed upon. The LCS owner I worked for didn't want me to miss out on it and agreed to give me a pay advance. I called Greg the next morning after the date he offered it to me but yet gotten rid of it. I never saw another one until a Huggins and Scott auction a few years ago. I also turn down everything else Greg offered to me since there was nothing like this. Although, I probably would've jumped if it was a really were piece but at that point my collection had advanced pretty well.

Craig, are you the same Craig W. that bought dozens of 81-83 Fleer proof sheets off me back in 1987?

Mark70Z
02-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Mike,

I don't know if I have asked you already or not, but was the '61 Dice Game Brooks that was offered the same as the one listed in the H&S auction? Would be cool to know how many actually exist.

On a side note, has anyone ever discovered any proof items related to the Dice Game?

Gmrson
02-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Sorry Mark, I never got to see the card or hear who bought it.

Mike,

I don't know if I have asked you already or not, but was the '61 Dice Game Brooks that was offered the same as the one listed in the H&S auction? Would be cool to know how many actually exist.

On a side note, has anyone ever discovered any proof items related to the Dice Game?

bobsbbcards
05-27-2016, 06:31 PM
This was a fun thread to revisit, so I thought I'd post my Drysdale to bring it back to life.

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1961/1961toppsdicegame/61ToppsDiceGameDDrysdale.jpg

Mark70Z
05-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Bob,

Thanks for reviving the thread.

By the way, anyone have the Brooks Robinson dice game on here?!? I saw the one that went in H&S years ago, but unsure who picked it up. Also, is there any more Brooksie dice game cards out there?

sflayank
05-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Well at least i know wagner and drysdale have a good home

brian1961
05-28-2016, 01:05 PM
This was a fun thread to revisit, so I thought I'd post my Drysdale to bring it back to life.

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1961/1961toppsdicegame/61ToppsDiceGameDDrysdale.jpg

Bob, I cannot pass up the chance to say thank you for posting the scan of your mesmerizing 1961 Topps Dice Game Don Drysdale. I have loved this shot of Big D most of my life. This beautiful photo embodies everything I love about Don. The superlatives just gush forth, Bob. Simply put, I just love this card.

You know, when a card of a great player like Don is rare, but ugly, I just don't care for it. However, when it's ultra rare, and ultra beautiful, that becomes what Humphrey Bogart said in THE MALTESE FALCON, "the ah, stuff that dreams are made of". Thanks again, bro!:D --Brian Powell

bobsbbcards
05-28-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks again, bro!:D --Brian Powell
You're quite welcome. :)

Some of you may not know that most of the 1961 Topps Dice Game cards were lifted off the small B&W side pictures from the 1960 set. Here are the 1960 cards of the 18 players comprising the Dice set. Let's play "How Many Match?"

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps328Battey.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps170Crandall.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps154Davenport.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps475Drysdale.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps258Groat.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps050Kaline.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps083Kubek.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps350Mantle.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps200Mays.jpg

bobsbbcards
05-28-2016, 02:13 PM
http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps055Mazeroski.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps250Musial.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps483Pascual.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps405Richardson.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps028Robinson.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps490Robinson.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps011Siebern.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps383Wagner.jpg

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1960/1960topps/60Topps355White.jpg

bobsbbcards
05-28-2016, 02:17 PM
Here's another image for reference (alas, one that doesn't match).

http://www.bobsbbcards.com/images/baseball/1961/1961toppsdicegame/61ToppsDiceGameFRobinson.jpg

bobsbbcards
05-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Larry, I've seen pictures of your Richardson and Kubek from the Mr. Mint auction, but I can't remember the poses. Do they match the 1960 side panels? I think Kubek does, but Richardson I'm not so sure.

Here's a list so we can keep track:

Earl Battey - NO
Del Crandall - ??
Jim Davenport - ??
Don Drysdale - YES
Dick Groat - ??
Al Kaline - YES
Tony Kubek - ??
Mickey Mantle - YES
Willie Mays - YES
Bill Mazeroski - ??
Stan Musial - YES
Camilo Pascual - NO
Bobby Richardson - ??
Brooks Robinson - YES
Frank Robinson - NO
Norm Siebern - ??
Leon Wagner -YES
Bill White - ??

My guess would be that Crandall, Davenport, Groat, Maz, Siebern, and White will match. I've never seen any of them though, and there are no scans that come up on any Google search.

ALR-bishop
05-29-2016, 06:32 AM
Had never realized the link between the 60 insets and the 61 Dice, Bob. Maybe because I only have one...since you and Larry are hogging the rest :)

bobsbbcards
05-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Had never realized the link between the 60 insets and the 61 Dice, Bob. Maybe because I only have one...since you and Larry are hogging the rest :)

"No Dice For You!"

sflayank
05-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Youre amazing bob
I never knew this
From memory i believe richardson is batting and so is crandall..kubek is fielding...but dont quote me
Cards are unavailable at present so cant double check
The other 5 still have never seen
Y r u. Guessing they will match

ALR-bishop
05-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Larry--- other worldly maybe, but amazing ?

bobsbbcards
05-29-2016, 12:52 PM
Y r u. Guessing they will match

The Battey and Frank Robinson '60 side panels are "cramped" pictures--catcher in a squatting position and Robinson leaning over for a ground ball. Neither one would have filled the vertical space on a Dice Game card. Also, in the '60 Battey, he's got a "Duh, I'm a catcher look on his face."

The Kubek and Richardson are in between--they're sort of crouched, sort of standing. Same with Pascual, and he's turned to the side a bit. The rest of them would make fantastic Dice Game poses--nice and upright, especially the White and Davenport.

bobsbbcards
05-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Position-wise, the 18 players selected make sense:

Pitchers (2) - Pascual* (AL) and Drysdale* (NL)
Catchers (2) - Battey (AL) and Crandall (NL)
1st Base (2) - Musial (AL) and White (NL)
2nd Base (2) - Richardson (AL) and Mazeroski (NL)
3rd Base (2) - B. Robinson (AL) and Davenport (NL)
Shortstop (2) - Kubek (AL) and Groat (NL)
Outfield (6) - Siebern, Mantle*, Kaline* (AL) and Wagner, Mays*, Robinson (NL)

* - indicates they were in the 1960 Topps All-Star subset

It's a bit surprising that more All-Stars aren't represented in the Dice "set."

hcv123
05-29-2016, 02:01 PM
Well, I too never knew about the 1960 inset poses! Thanks for teaching me my something for today! Someone was asking about Levi and what he collects earlier - I believe he is a HUGE Mantle collector - Not sure what else - I know he used to love the test issue/rarer items because they were highly profitable and easy sales.

ALR-bishop
05-29-2016, 03:43 PM
As a Cardinals fan I sort of resent a Reds guy putting Stan in the AL

toppcat
05-29-2016, 03:51 PM
I just spot checked about 7 guys and all were in the 1962 All Star Games. I don't have time to check the whole list right now but it looks like that might be the All Star year in question, making these a 1962 or 63 issue. I suspect these were pieces originally created for internal design purposes, like we've seen with many others that Topps cobbled together over the years, and then they went into an early test stage which resulted in the cards we know today. The 1960 inset photos being used don't necessarily correlate to a 1961 date for Dice Game; Topps often used archival photos years after they were used in a set for such creations.

sflayank
05-29-2016, 04:12 PM
White and kubek didnt make 62 team
Other 16 did

bobsbbcards
05-29-2016, 08:41 PM
As a Cardinals fan I sort of resent a Reds guy putting Stan in the AL
I wish St. Louis was an AL team--that's why I put him there. Get over it. :cool:

toppcat
05-29-2016, 09:59 PM
I see Kubek missed a large part of 62 due to military service. And how Bill White missed being an All Star in 1962 is beyond me, his stats were stellar that year. Aparicio and Tresh were the AL All Star shortstops that year, Banks and Cepeda got the NL nod that year at 1B.

Mark70Z
05-30-2016, 06:50 AM
Some of you may not know that most of the 1961 Topps Dice Game cards were lifted off the small B&W side pictures from the 1960 set.

Bob,

Well, I did know about the Brooks matching, but really didn't relate that to other '61 Dice Game cards. A while ago on eBay thetoppsvault had some of the original picture/artwork for the '60 Topps side pictures, but no Brooks. Hopefully it's still in their archives, but who knows. I don't have that particular picture in my collection and I think it's such a cool shot of Brooks.

sflayank
06-03-2016, 06:13 AM
So who has the 5 players weve never seen?

ls7plus
06-03-2016, 04:31 PM
It is. I appreciate knowing that I was in the chain of ownership. Still have a number of items that fit the bill.

What I really love about those family and friends think I'm nuts thing is when I tell them about selling something that they thought I was nuts for buying at a huge profit - I don't usually hear about how nuts I am at the end of those stories :-)

+1. Even my wife doesn't complain as much about my card buys anymore!

Highest regards,

Larry