PDA

View Full Version : Seller reference/review needed

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2014, 11:56 AM
I may be buying some high dollar cards.. from exquisitecards49 is the seller id on ebay....these cards aren't listed on ebay..

anyone dealt with this seller before..i know he has some high prices before but that's all I know ..

pawpawdiv9
12-13-2014, 12:20 PM
He does have some nice 52's in his store. I looked at his feedback, mostly modern stuff 2000 + years within the past 6 month/year. Nothing really too expensive was sold over a few hundred. By saying high dollar, Does that refer spending near or over 1k?
By looking, anything over 1k- l i see in the store is some nice Babe Ruth merchanidise and a very cool Jackie.
The seller looks legit to me, in fact i placed a bid on something, got outbidded.

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2014, 01:01 PM
I said they are not listed in his store..would be paypal..talking 12,000 range...

Tao_Moko
12-13-2014, 01:08 PM
You remind me an awful lot of a previous board member.

Peter_Spaeth
12-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Where does a guy who deals primarily in new junk come up with a 52T Mathews in a 6? Wow.

Personally, I would not pay 12K to someone I didn't know or who wasn't well known to someone I trusted. Probably only a small risk, but why take one at all? Or buy one or two cards, and if it works out buy more.

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2014, 01:12 PM

thanks for the very useful response.

the 'stache
12-13-2014, 02:38 PM
I said they are not listed in his store..would be paypal..talking 12,000 range...

He understands that. Do you not understand what he's doing? Chris is looking at the guy's selling history on eBay, to see if he's ever sold high value vintage or pre-war cards before. If his history showed things like a 1952 Topps Eddie Mathews PSA graded, Play Ball Dimaggios, HGoudey Jimmie Foxxes, etc, that would at least show that he's dealt in high value cards before. All he's seeing are cards printed post year 2000 for the most part, and no cards costing over a few hundred bucks. Nothing to make him, or me, for that matter, expect this guy to suddenly have $12,000 of legit cards. It doesn't mean he couldn't have them, it just means historically he hasn't offered cards anywhere near that valuable before.

I was thinking the same thing.

Where does a guy who deals primarily in new junk come up with a 52T Mathews in a 6? Wow.

Personally, I would not pay 12K to someone I didn't know or who wasn't well known to someone I trusted. Probably only a small risk, but why take one at all? Or buy one or two cards, and if it works out buy more.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Peter.

If this guy has a '52 Mantle, I'm asking some questions. I'm wanting to know how he came to own it. How long has he owned it? If he's owned it for a while, one would expect he has insurance on it to prevent against theft or fire damage. Can he show proof of ownership (provenance)? Can he show proof of insurance? There's no paper trail on eBay.

What we're all seeing here would be analogous to a Yugo dealer back in the 80s suddenly selling a Jaguar XJS worth more than every car on his lot.

Before you even think about committing that kind of money to a guy that you know nothing about, and thus far, none of us have ever heard of, you best do your homework.

Me? I wouldn't risk buying a '52 Topps Mantle from him, not when there are several available from sellers that I already know beyond a shadow of a doubt are reputable. It's just not smart business practice.

CardboardCollector
12-13-2014, 03:00 PM
For that kind of money, I'd take a road trip to look at it in person. :)

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2014, 03:04 PM
well the Matthews that I wasn't talking about..is on ebay..so if its not real you would think you would get your money back..

Peter_Spaeth
12-13-2014, 03:18 PM
What does he claim to have that is not on ebay? The Mathews I think will go very high due to the phenomenal centering.

ALR-bishop
12-13-2014, 03:22 PM
No one reminds me of anyone anymore

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2014, 03:23 PM
whats very high..9k? for the Matthews?

Leon
12-13-2014, 03:26 PM
He has some rare cards up....http://www.ebay.com/sch/exquisitecards49/m.html?_ipg=200&_sop=10&_rdc=1

I think he is probably fine by looking at his feedback. But if it helps and it's going to be a lot of money, ask him some questions and see how he responds.

Peter_Spaeth
12-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Ask him if he knows Leon. :rolleyes:

Peter_Spaeth
12-13-2014, 03:34 PM
whats very high..9k? for the Matthews?

I doubt that high, but who knows. Did you trace the card in VCP or Card Target yet?

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2014, 03:38 PM
I haven't found it..or the even higher end cards that are off ebay

Peter_Spaeth
12-13-2014, 03:41 PM
I haven't found it..or the even higher end cards that are off ebay

Have you ever seen one that wasn't centered at least slightly to the left? I can't recall one. Are the off ebay ones in the same serial number range?

Tao_Moko
12-13-2014, 03:42 PM
thanks for the very useful response.

I don't usually have a very useful response.

You might want to dig around some of our reputable members and see if you can source the same card/s without buying from a source that you have questions about on ebay. Is there something that is rare enough that you may not come across another anytime soon?

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Have you ever seen one that wasn't centered at least slightly to the left? I can't recall one. Are the off ebay ones in the same serial number range?

no they are SGC and BVG.

Peter_Spaeth
12-13-2014, 06:37 PM
no they are SGC and BVG.

I wouldn't touch a BVG card.

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2014, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't touch a BVG card.

right me neither

if cross grade them in the holder you are serious at risk to getting evidence of trimming with psa

vthobby
12-13-2014, 07:12 PM

That could get expensive, the seller lives in Hawaii! :eek:

mike

vthobby
12-13-2014, 07:19 PM
right me neither

if cross grade them in the holder you are serious at risk to getting evidence of trimming with psa

I totally disagree. Over the past 4 months, I have crossed almost 100 vintage cards from BVG to PSA with very good results. Most grades were within .5 up or down and yes I had a few nice surprises and a few bad surprises but ZERO were noted as trimmed. They all graded out.

If you have been around long enough, and know who you are buying from, there can be some great deals or value in buying BVG and crossing them over.

At the recent Shriner's show in Mass, I brought a BVG 8 1948 Leaf boxing Joe Louis to SGC still in the BVG slab. It was for a friend who could not leave his table and he wanted it in an SGC holder. He got it back in an SGC 88 holder!

He sold that card at the show for a nice penny. I understand there are issues out there with all companies from time to time but to make a general statement like that sometimes does more harm than good. Just my 2 cents.

peace, mike

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2014, 07:24 PM
I totally disagree. Over the past 4 months, I have crossed almost 100 vintage cards from BVG to PSA with very good results. Most grades were within .5 up or down and yes I had a few nice surprises and a few bad surprises but ZERO were noted as trimmed. They all graded out.

If you have been around long enough, and know who you are buying from, there can be some great deals or value in buying BVG and crossing them over.

At the recent Shriner's show in Mass, I brought a BVG 8 1948 Leaf boxing Joe Louis to SGC still in the BVG slab. It was for a friend who could not leave his table and he wanted it in an SGC holder. He got it back in an SGC 88 holder!

He sold that card at the show for a nice penny. I understand there are issues out there with all companies from time to time but to make a general statement like that sometimes does more harm than good. Just my 2 cents.

peace, mike

Ok you convinced me

steve_a
12-13-2014, 07:52 PM
i think there is room in the hobby for someone to make a nice business being the middle man in transactions like this. He could receive payment & the card then complete the transaction when both were deemed ok. I'd pay a bp for that service. Maybe some of the AH or dealers would but I don't see anyone currently pushing this type of service.

CardboardCollector
12-14-2014, 08:33 AM

That could get expensive, the seller lives in Hawaii! :eek:

mike

Paradise with a card I wanted, what more could one ask for. :)

1952boyntoncollector
12-14-2014, 09:17 AM
i think there is room in the hobby for someone to make a nice business being the middle man in transactions like this. He could receive payment & the card then complete the transaction when both were deemed ok. I'd pay a bp for that service. Maybe some of the AH or dealers would but I don't see anyone currently pushing this type of service.

I pretty sure there are insured carrier services that can do that

Paul S
12-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Paradise with a card I wanted, what more could one ask for. :)

The problem is, he lives inside a volcano:)

glynparson
12-14-2014, 09:31 AM
If you crossed hundreds from bvg to psa and got no evidence of trimming you either were buying primarily collector or low grade cards or sent in the few hundred that actually aren't trimmed or sheet cut. They are getting better but still way to much out there in high grade bvg/bgs holders with trimmed edges in my opinion. Of course you can find the occasional card like the Louis talked about above, but there is usually a reason someone leaves money on the table.

Peter_Spaeth
12-14-2014, 09:34 AM
If you crossed hundreds from bvg to psa and got no evidence of trimming you either were buying primarily collector or low grade cards or sent in the few hundred that actually aren't trimmed or sheet cut. They are getting better but still way to much out there in high grade bvg/bgs holders with trimmed edges in my opinion.

Not to mention just overgraded (in my opinion).

Leon
12-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Not to mention just overgraded (in my opinion).

For me personally, and for what I collect, I trust BVG much more than PSA.

glynparson
12-14-2014, 09:39 AM
But there is no way I agree with Leon on this.

1952boyntoncollector
12-14-2014, 12:51 PM
with the way psa is dominated the hobby ..if you see a card that's 1000s of dollars you have to assume that the seller tried to have psa grade it the same..

since you can submit to psa with a minimum grade requirement or get it returned, it would make no sense that they didn't try to do it..

maybe 5 years ago you could get a similar bvg 8 price to a psa 8 price from a buyer out there..but I don't think there are any other buyers out there to hold out having it cross graded and incurring the fees for..

now lower dollar cards..thats different

toledo_mudhen
12-15-2014, 05:11 AM
He has crappy photos on ALL of his stuff. You would think a guy that has a single item worth 12K could at least afford a scanner?

1952boyntoncollector
12-23-2014, 10:25 AM
What does he claim to have that is not on ebay? The Mathews I think will go very high due to the phenomenal centering.

card sold for 6400...100 less than SMR and less recorded sale on cardtarget....