PDA

View Full Version : Modern Complete Sets in PSA10

Matthew80
12-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Modern (say, 1980-1994) complete sets in PSA10. Few questions:

1. Does anyone recall prices such sets have realized? Any examples?
2. Any experiences/tips on how to do it without breaking the bank?
3. Has anyone done the PSA pop report research to see varying difficulties and costs for specific sets?

Someone's trying an '83 Topps, which seems damn tough. Was interested in chasing one myself, and that brought these questions to mind. I suspect it's a money-loosing venture, but I'm okay losing ~$2k or so on it.

(Thanks in advance)

1963Topps Set
12-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Reminds me of a challenge I issued once to a guy to complete the entire 1952 Topps set in PSA 10 condition. I don't even think he has started!

sbfinley
12-13-2014, 01:30 AM

3. Has anyone done the PSA pop report research to see varying difficulties and costs for specific sets?

Someone's trying an '83 Topps, which seems damn tough. Was interested in chasing one myself, and that brought these questions to mind. I suspect it's a money-loosing venture, but I'm okay losing ~$2k or so on it.

(Thanks in advance)

It's only been done once for any Topps set (1978) and that was only completed recently. No other Topps set before or after has even had at least one of each card grade PSA 10. It's entirely possible, mainly post 86', but for what it will cost you could pick up a handful of the top 20 Sportscards.

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2014, 10:56 AM
I do think that when just looking for a psa 10.. you are now in the paying for cardholder not the card land....its fine but it shows that paying for the cardholder is alive and well

swarmee
12-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Say it takes an average of 3 cards to get the 10 you're looking for... that would mean for a 700 card set, you're paying $6 (bulk submission fee) x 2100, which would be approx $12,000.

My suggestion would be taking a Topps Traded set or something with 100 cards where almost all cards were kept inside the boxed sets. The ones chasing the Operation Desert Shield 1991 set (http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/composite.aspx?c=1109) can at least likely get their money back on grading fees. That one has a following.

cdn_collector
12-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Matthew,

On a couple of occasions I've given serious thought to tackling a PSA10 project of a modern set. And obviously not for the fiscal rewards, but rather to add a challenge element to an otherwise easy endeavour. What has always ultimately detoured me is the size of sets. 20, 50 or even 100 card sets, I could see myself doing, but a 792-card Topps set or even an 800-card Upper Deck is just too large to me.

That said, if tackling that set is a challenge you want to try, I say go for it!
Would you approach it by hoping to find & buy the cards already graded, or would you be trying to buy raw and submit as well?

Cheers,

Richard.

(Thanks in advance)

jasondeanmartin
12-14-2014, 06:27 PM
If you decide to pursue this, I suggest looking at 4sharpcorners.com for available cards in PSA 10. They have a huge selection and you could most likely get a chunk of your set from them.

Centauri
12-14-2014, 07:37 PM
There is a complete 1989 upper deck set PSA 10 on eBay right now. It's been there for a while. Seller is looking for $40k.

gopherfan
12-18-2014, 08:46 AM
I am about 30-40 cards short of the 1999 Topps set in 10. I guess I am also putting together the complete McGwire and Sosa HR sets. I bought a lot of them from 4SC, and the I have had about a 75% success rate in 10's. I bought a case of each series from BBCE, and started there. I figure I will finish it this year. I picked 1999 because it is the year my son was born.

My daughter was born in 1997, and I have about 10% of that complete. That has all been 4SC so far, although I did buy the cases from BBCE so I have them ready.

I don't plan on selling, but I imagine I will lose closer to $5000 if I ever do try and sell. It has been a fun project, and much cheaper than some of the other "stupid" thing I have taken on.

Good luck.

Matthew80
12-18-2014, 03:15 PM
THanks for the thoughts, Richard.

I think buying them graded would clearly be the more economical way to go, but whether such cards exists is a problem. I was thinking of an '84 Donruss, '87 Topps set, 88 Score, '89 Upper Deck, '90 Leaf or '91 Stadium Club, what I think are the most beautiful and/or personal to me. Some, namely 87 and 88, just don't have enough cards submitted to buy graded ones, though!

Alternatively, one idea I had was buying up random sets or lots to put together a raw Gem Mint-caliber set. Brush up my grading eye/evaluating, and have a true, honest Gem Mint-caliber raw set. It could easily be documented by a photo-hosting program (my taking front/back scans and uploading them there). I could be the new Mr. [Gem] Mint for some given series.

I've also thought of doing a '91 Studio set, the issue with the cool to weird b&w portraits. A ~250 ct set, that's a bit more attainable. I thought about an '84 Fleer Update, '86 Topps Traded, or marquee add on set like that, but I just can't talk myself into it.

Matthew80
12-18-2014, 03:43 PM
I am about 30-40 cards short of the 1999 Topps set in 10. I guess I am also putting together the complete McGwire and Sosa HR sets. I bought a lot of them from 4SC, and the I have had about a 75% success rate in 10's. I bought a case of each series from BBCE, and started there. I figure I will finish it this year. I picked 1999 because it is the year my son was born.

My daughter was born in 1997, and I have about 10% of that complete. That has all been 4SC so far, although I did buy the cases from BBCE so I have them ready.

I don't plan on selling, but I imagine I will lose closer to $5000 if I ever do try and sell. It has been a fun project, and much cheaper than some of the other "stupid" thing I have taken on.

Good luck.

Mind my asking what the '99 pursuit has set you back? Are you estimating fetching $2-3k for it (assuming you did sell or someone who had the same '99 in PSA10 would sell)? THat'd be my rough guess, but I truly have no clue. :o

What are you doing with PSA 9s? 75% conversion rate seems like you have a strong, acute eye developed for this sort of thing, but you still must have quite a stash of 9s on hand.

gopherfan
12-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Mind my asking what the '99 pursuit has set you back? Are you estimating fetching $2-3k for it (assuming you did sell or someone who had the same '99 in PSA10 would sell)? THat'd be my rough guess, but I truly have no clue. :o

What are you doing with PSA 9s? 75% conversion rate seems like you have a strong, acute eye developed for this sort of thing, but you still must have quite a stash of 9s on hand.

I'm about $5,000 into it so far. I assume it will take another $1,000 to finish. I have about 150 9's if you want to get started with a 9 set. I had an invoice for them for a guy, but he lost his job. Since then, I have another 50 or so. I think it was about $1.75-$2 per for the 9's. I am losing about $4.50 per card at that price, but at least it cuts costs some.

1952boyntoncollector
12-19-2014, 07:29 AM
I'm about $5,000 into it so far. I assume it will take another $1,000 to finish. I have about 150 9's if you want to get started with a 9 set. I had an invoice for them for a guy, but he lost his job. Since then, I have another 50 or so. I think it was about $1.75-$2 per for the 9's. I am losing about $4.50 per card at that price, but at least it cuts costs some.

it seems for modern cards..you will lose money on 99% of the psa 9s...but the psa 10s..if you there a motivated collector out there actively pursuing the set due to the artificial scarcity the sky is the limit......

Econteachert205
12-19-2014, 08:40 AM
I'd go with 1985 Donruss. Good rookies and tough black borders will equal a good future investment imo.

swarmee
12-22-2014, 06:58 PM
1981 Topps Traded Cut Case (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Topps-Traded-Baseball-Cut-Card-Case-8600-Cards-/141508954995?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item20f2974b73&rmvSB=true)
Never heard of these before, but if there are approx 60 complete sets, you've got a great start at a Gem Mint collection. Plus it seems like there's some star power.

savedfrommyspokes
12-22-2014, 08:26 PM
1981 Topps Traded Cut Case (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Topps-Traded-Baseball-Cut-Card-Case-8600-Cards-/141508954995?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item20f2974b73&rmvSB=true)
Never heard of these before, but if there are approx 60 complete sets, you've got a great start at a Gem Mint collection. Plus it seems like there's some star power.

Here is a good explanation of the cut card cases:
http://www.dacardworld.com/blog/dave-and-adams-news/the-steve-myland-deal/

cdn_collector
12-23-2014, 09:43 AM
I think buying them graded would clearly be the more economical way to go, but whether such cards exists is a problem. I was thinking of an '84 Donruss, '87 Topps set, 88 Score, '89 Upper Deck, '90 Leaf or '91 Stadium Club, what I think are the most beautiful and/or personal to me. Some, namely 87 and 88, just don't have enough cards submitted to buy graded ones, though!

Alternatively, one idea I had was buying up random sets or lots to put together a raw Gem Mint-caliber set. Brush up my grading eye/evaluating, and have a true, honest Gem Mint-caliber raw set. It could easily be documented by a photo-hosting program (my taking front/back scans and uploading them there). I could be the new Mr. [Gem] Mint for some given series.

I've also thought of doing a '91 Studio set, the issue with the cool to weird b&w portraits. A ~250 ct set, that's a bit more attainable. I thought about an '84 Fleer Update, '86 Topps Traded, or marquee add on set like that, but I just can't talk myself into it.

Matthew -- you could very easily be reading my brain with this post. There's a balance of a pile of variables -- set size, availability of already graded cards (but not so many that the set is too easily completed in targeted grade), the right set (I agree with all of those sets -- 1991 Studio is very intriguing), etc., etc.

This is exactly why I haven't landed anywhere myself, and often find myself waffling between some kind of "graded" challenge and funneling that same amount of money into an even larger raw challenge. Oddly, I find poking around population reports, looking at people's collections and researching different sets for such an endeavour interesting and not frustrating (possibly because I have other active collections), so maybe that's also why I haven't jumped yet.

Anyway, whatever you decide, I hope you let us know. I'll be curious where you land.

Cheers,

Richard.

1952boyntoncollector
12-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Matthew -- you could very easily be reading my brain with this post. There's a balance of a pile of variables -- set size, availability of already graded cards (but not so many that the set is too easily completed in targeted grade), the right set (I agree with all of those sets -- 1991 Studio is very intriguing), etc., etc.

This is exactly why I haven't landed anywhere myself, and often find myself waffling between some kind of "graded" challenge and funneling that same amount of money into an even larger raw challenge. Oddly, I find poking around population reports, looking at people's collections and researching different sets for such an endeavour interesting and not frustrating (possibly because I have other active collections), so maybe that's also why I haven't jumped yet.

Anyway, whatever you decide, I hope you let us know. I'll be curious where you land.

Cheers,

Richard.

I find it fun getting psa 9s from the 70s or 8s.....for less than the price of grading in most cases...you let the person give you the failed 10s I guess or just hobbyists that didn't mind losing 50%+ of their money getting psa 8s for the 70s....you get a nice holder and costs less than having it graded..more and more showing up ....there are complete sets you can buy psa 8s or better in the 70s for an average of 7-10 bucks a card..