PDA

View Full Version : Who's on the sheet with Plank?

t206hound
12-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Interesting question. Will we ever know the answer? Maybe not... not many Planks means not much evidence.

With other cards you can be certain of sheet mates based on two name cards, front ghost shifts, and side-to-side miscuts. You can also make some leaps of moderately high probability based on things like over/under prints on the back (Lash's, berries, etc.), upside down backs with miscuts, and so on. There's none of those (to my knowledge), when it comes to the cards like Plank.

I was looking around and came across two different Planks that are missing color (scrap) and trimmed. One is a Piedmont 150 and virtually absent of all colors other than black, brown and yellow. (Link to a Heritage listing of this card. (http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1909-11-t206-piedmont-eddie-plank-psa-authentic/a/716-81096.s#48404840416))

The other (I believe) is owned by board member Sean (his avatar is this card). This card has a Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 30 back. This one is similar, but adds the (light) blue background. It's still missing much color. (Link to a Heritage listing of this card. (http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1909-11-t206-eddie-plank-psa-authentic-the-t206-eddie-plank-is-frequently-compared-to-the-famed-honus-wagner-of-the-sam/a/705-19727.s#801801621))

After seeing these, I remembered that I had seen a Chance Red Background from mrvster that had a similar washed out appearance. It resembled the Rossman of my avatar, but I knew the backs of those were different. I went back and found a posting of the Chance.

The Chance is missing color, has a lighter blue (but not darker blue) run, trimmed, has scrapbook damage and has a Sweet Cap 150 factory 30 back. The Plank has those same characteristics. Any chance these were from the same sheet... perhaps one that someone took home from the factory, cut up and glued into a scrapbook? Ok, the last part is a stretch, but seriously, any chance they are from the same sheet?

atx840
12-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Nice catch, I think it makes sense to list them as possibly from the same sheet and try to work backwards with other connections that have been gathered.

We've seen other examples of cards having identical ink shifts, writing and back issues where its pretty obvious they came from the same sheet.

irishdenny
12-11-2014, 04:48 PM
If I remember Correctly... The word was that Mr. Mastro's Wagner was initially obtained within a Strip of 3 T206's. And I believe that He Separated the Wagner from a Plank ... as fir the 3rd T206, my memory doesn't serve me as well!? Fir what its worth... I do remember reading a discussion about the 3 being together...

Maybe others could help out with what they might know or remember...

Oh... Does Anyone Remember who the 2 other Players were that were on either side of the Wagner withiN ThiS Strip?

http://tinyurl.com/T206-Wagner-Strip

Might be Helpful!?

Sean
12-11-2014, 06:01 PM
I thought that Mastro bought the card from a guy who had cut the Wagner from an entire sheet of cards. The sheet also contained a Plank, I believe.

mrvster
12-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Chance and Plank! GREAT Work ERICK!!!!

(I suddenly found a rekindled love of my Chance Scrap!:);))

you are a super T206 Slueth! The hound Dawg strikes again:eek:...

you have a blast figuring out these little "puzzle" pieces......

Sean.....I have Mr. Planks Cousin:)

Sean
12-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Sean.....I have Mr. Planks Cousin:)

I'm visiting the East Coast in 2016. We can reunite them then (though only temporarily). :cool:

mrvster
12-11-2014, 08:42 PM
NATIONAL??????

I will be there in 2016 displaying for the first time ever "The Circus" :D

live............:)

1952boyntoncollector
12-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Is John Walkthe

z28jd
12-11-2014, 08:59 PM
I used to own that Chance and it was bought from someone who had an old scrapbook with the card in it. Along with the Chance, I also bought a Chesbro from the same scrapbook. I still have the Chesbro

t206hound
12-11-2014, 09:09 PM
I used to own that Chance and it was bought from someone who had an old scrapbook with the card in it. Along with the Chance, I also bought a Chesbro from the same scrapbook. I still have the Chesbro

Mind posting a scan of chesbro?

mrvster
12-12-2014, 07:15 AM
keep sniffing around! HOUNDAWG!

I love sheet cousins! happy to know Mr. Chance may have sat on the same scrap sheet as Plank!

Damn, why couldn't I have the Plank?LOL