PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Understand These Moves?

clydepepper
12-11-2014, 08:38 AM
By the Dodgers, Red Sox, A's, and Braves?

Dodgers trade Kemp (& $31M) (keeping Ethier) to a division rivial (albeit a weak one) and get little in return. They trade Dee Gordon away in one deal and get Jimmy Rollins, age 36 in another...a big loss at the top of the lineup.

Red Sox let an ace pitcher who very much wanted to return to them get away, then trade away the middle-of-the -lineup slugger they got for him in the first place....for a less-than-ace pitcher.

Billy Beane being Billy Beane.

And in Atlanta, they basically traded Heyward for Markakis.

Crazy Times!

pgellis
12-11-2014, 09:24 AM
As far as the Red Sox moves are concerned:

- Cespedes quickly wore out his welcome in just the 1 month that he was in Boston. He strikes out way too much for the way that the Red Sox like to build a team. I think his attitude/behavior became an issue too.

- As far as the Lester situation is concerned, they definitely didn't want him at the price the Cubs paid (6 yrs/ $155 million). I don't think he is worth that. He's never had a Cy Young Award type of season. He is still being paid for his great post-season run of 2013. He is an OK #1 starter, very good #2. I think he is like Bumgarner from this past season, a decent regular season starter, but turned it up crazy in the post-season (which means a lot).

- Porcello is a ground ball pitcher that is definitely a benefit pitching at Fenway.

I don't think the Sox are done with their off-season. May add a RF and could trade for a #1 (Cueto, Zimmerman, etc).

packs
12-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Personally I think the Dodgers have made the right moves:

Dee Gordon had a good season but that might be his only good season. They basically traded him for Howie Kendrick, who I think is a far superior player, though is a free agent after next season. Even if he walks, they still have Alex Guerrero.

Kemp is finished. Even with his year last year, I don't see him ever living up to his contract. Grandal is better than AJ Ellis and at a small price.

Red Sox

Have no idea what they're doing. Porcello is a guy who strikes out no one and gives up a ton of hits. That leaves very little margin for error. I would not want him.

Braves

Heyward move looks like the right move. They had no faith in him despite his age. Shelby Miller has been up and down too, but unlike Heyward I think he is trending up.

sbfinley
12-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Dodgers: LA is clearing up the Outfield gut they've had for too long. Kemp can still mash, but he's a defensive liability. More importantly they have two stud guys in AAA (OF Joc Pederson and SS Corey Seager) who now have a clearer path to the majors. The last piece most believe LA is missing is another frontline to quality starter. It looks like most of the pieces they've picked up recently could work as bait or a cog to plug in place in the event of trading for another arm.

Boston: Cespedes for Lester was a calculated risk to pick up strong trade bait when Lester was 50/50 to return while they were on the outside looking in to the playoffs. I don't think even if they held on to him he would have resigned with Boston so basically they received Porcello for free. Cespedes is a name because he mashes homers, but his OPS and WAR are both surprisingly low and he'd probably walk at the end of this season. Trading him also opens an corner OF spot for Rusney Castillo some point this season, if not opening day. If they can swing a deal for another arm I think they'll be okay.

Oakland: I haven't a clue, but then again ever year Billy Beane does something crazy and every other year they make the playoffs - done it 8 out of the last 16 years - so who am I to argue.

Atlanta - The Braves are paying for the Upton mistakes. Because of those two signings they reached a point where they had to decide between Freeman or
Heyward.

Have no idea what they're doing. Porcello is a guy who strikes out no one and gives up a ton of hits. That leaves very little margin for error. I would not want him.

Porcello is a groundball pitcher (good at Fenway) who is as good as the infield behind him, which in Detroit hasn't been a strength in recent years.

bosoxfan
12-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Porcello for Cespedes is a good trade for the Sox. Cespedes didn't want to play center. Refused to play right. Balked about practicing the Wall at Fenway and has an OBP of about .300. BYE

Rick Porcello is will turn 26 in a couple weeks.