PDA

View Full Version : Roger maris ball opinions

w7imel
12-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Passed on this ebay auction a few weeks ago and wanted to see what you guys thought of ball. My name is mike and I have been in market for a maris but was a little nervous about a Bobby Brown Maris. It was a Hahti stamped ball so it fell in the time frame and had a full JSA letter. Have been in contact with the guy who won aution and he is willing to sell it to me for a profit (of course) but befeore I go forward thought I would run it by the panel of experts. Thoughts on this one?

mike

Stanesq
12-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Looks good to me

GrayGhost
12-11-2014, 05:54 AM
:):)

jgmp123
12-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Beautiful ball!

joed25
12-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Authentic. Tough to find Maris on a Bobby Brown. Nice ball.

w7imel
12-11-2014, 06:46 PM
ok I have looked at the auto and inscription examples really close and am really good with buying the ball. Runscott has been a very good mentor to me and has showed me alot in the last year but mostly he has taught me to trust my gut feeling. Scott has helped me every time I have needed it without question. Dont get me wrong he hasnt done the legwork for me but made me do my own. thanks again guys!!!!

Runscott
12-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Mike - that was really nice of you to say that. I thought most of the time I had just acted like a chicken when you showed me an autograph.

My 'gut' is also good on the Maris - if the price is right, it will be tough to pass it up since it has your name on it.

Fuddjcal
12-12-2014, 11:06 AM
ok I have looked at the auto and inscription examples really close and am really good with buying the ball. Runscott has been a very good mentor to me and has showed me alot in the last year but mostly he has taught me to trust my gut feeling. Scott has helped me every time I have needed it without question. Dont get me wrong he hasnt done the legwork for me but made me do my own. thanks again guys!!!!

nicely done!

toyman55
12-12-2014, 05:59 PM
If I am not mistaken the auction for this ball on ebay closed a few days ago and it sold for a little over $900.00

MacDice
12-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Personally I would think that if someone was going to take the time for forge a signature that they wouldn't personalize it. Now if I could only find something signed by Earl Averill personalized to Mike for my collection.

Runscott
12-12-2014, 06:26 PM
If I am not mistaken the auction for this ball on ebay closed a few days ago and it sold for a little over $900.00

You are correct - hopefully the seller isn't double-selling: To Mike Maris ball (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roger-Maris-Single-Signed-Vintage-Official-AL-Baseball-Gorgeous-JSA-/191420813219)

w7imel
12-12-2014, 08:17 PM
No you guys are correct the ebay auction for this ball ended on thanksgiving eve. It was a ball sent to Jsa a few weeks before from a private collection. authenticated and put up for auction on ebay. The listing ended thanksgiving night. Sold for 922. up until last few seconds I thought I was safe with a 900 dollar bid then lost it. the next tuesday I saw it posted again in a "buy it now setting" The guy who won the ball is a dealer and bought it low in hopes to sell it high. I then contacted him and we negotiated a price for the ball. He made money and I got my ball that I wanted so in the end it worked out.

w7imel
12-12-2014, 08:27 PM
P.s> I paid for the ball in the end was only 100 bucks more than I wanted to spend but didnt think the auction would end anywhere near that amount. Lesson learned on my part always bid maximum amount willing to spend...saves alot of heart ache. Up until The ball was listed again that tuesday I thought I lost it and was kicking myself hard over a few hundred bucks. in the end guy sold it to me for a reasonable price doing the right thing to make sure ball was in the hand of a collector named mike.....stand up guy for sure. he won auction fair and square and didnt have to cut me a break at all but did the right thing.

Runscott
12-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Mike, that ball needs to be your avatar.

Anyone else think these two guys have similar handwriting?

w7imel
12-12-2014, 08:54 PM
i will try to figure out how to do

w7imel
12-12-2014, 09:00 PM
new to the avitar thing but it looks like it worked on my end you guys see it ok? lol

w7imel
12-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Mike, that ball needs to be your avatar.

Anyone else think these two guys have similar handwriting?

Not seeing same hand writing but definatly seeing same era ink...pressure points and letter size very different IMO

Mr. Zipper
12-13-2014, 07:28 AM
new to the avitar thing but it looks like it worked on my end you guys see it ok? lol

Very nice! Congratulations on a wonderful addition to your collection.

7nohitter
12-13-2014, 08:13 AM
Negative. I agree with Mike, the only similarity is the ink. Nolan has a very unique hand writing which can be spotted easily.

Mike, congrats on the Maris ball, it's a beauty.

Runscott
12-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Negative. I agree with Mike, the only similarity is the ink. Nolan has a very unique hand writing which can be spotted easily.

Yes, yes, yes....

The 'R' was what got my attention - I've never seen anyone else write a capital 'R' with that little vertical hitch.

w7imel
12-13-2014, 10:55 AM
looking at other ryan autos on balls on ebay he does sign his "r" similar to maris but his is thinner at the top on most using the bottom of the R to form his Y as well

Runscott
12-13-2014, 11:21 AM
I think it's obvious that Roger Maris and Nolan Ryan weren't secretly signing for one another, but there are definitely some style similarities.

w7imel
12-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Do you think ryan may have signed R like maris intentionally?

Runscott
12-13-2014, 12:49 PM
I don't know. I just saw an anomaly and commented. Also, the overall look of the ball (including color of ink and slant) reminded me of my Ryan ball.

w7imel
12-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Thats your ball!!!!? Awesome!!

Runscott
12-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Well, probably not for long. As you know, my tastes have gotten out of control.

w7imel
12-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Yes, yes, yes....

The 'R' was what got my attention - I've never seen anyone else write a capital 'R' with that little vertical hitch.

Hey not only the R scott look how ryan signs his "N" he also starts it the way maris starts his "M" They most definatly have similar signature styles. Ryan appears to sign with a heavier hand than maris IMO