PDA

View Full Version : 1932-38 Vancouver Senior Amateur League Popcorn card EXPERTS

Spartan
12-09-2014, 01:44 PM
I included an image of a W.ADSHEAD card, familiar to the previous owner and a few others on here. Have you EVER seen or posses a single other copy that the TEAM name is NOT listed on the lower part of the card, and the players name and position are listed like this card..."W.ADSHEAD-CENTER FIELD" (in big letters)... out of over 85 images I've seen online of Vancouver peanut cards, I have NOT seen THIS variation style repeated... Of note, it also contains #18 stamped in the upper left hand corner. I've yet to confirm a second one to repeat this format, and I do know the various years formats may differ or share similiarities. Some others I've seen do have a number printed, but NOT with just player's name and position listed in big font.
Also, came across some information where someone tried to document what teams were in the leagues for various years, it is acknowledged incomplete, and possibly impossible to verify. Mentioned 1932-Arrow, Fireman, Telephones, VAC 1934-A&Q (allen & quigley), Arrows, Home Gas, VAC 1935-A&Q, Athletics, Home Gas (Homes), UDL 1938 A&Q, Athletics, UDL, ?? Either way, regardless of the year of issue, I only see images for UDL, A&Q or Allen & Quigley, Home Gas or Homes, Athletics, and VAC.... Do ANY known cards show any other team, specifically Fireman or Telephones, or a team not identified ??? Seen no cards with these two teams. Thank you !!!! :D

seattlerainiers
12-13-2014, 04:07 PM
BTW, it is Arnold & Quigley, not Allen & Quigley, and they came in bags of peanuts, not popcorn.

Spartan
12-14-2014, 12:25 AM
Awesome !! Thanks for taking the time to share. Wondering what trial and error can start actually associating which formats are specific to what year - instead of just the range of 1932 to 1938. Still wondering about the fireman and telephone teams ?? Thank you. Hope I get more responses when others have info, pics and time !!!

pariah1107
12-14-2014, 12:57 AM
From a research standpoint on the issue or players therein, your best bet is to visit 'British Columbia Newspaper Archives'. Google search will take you right there, it's associated with University of British Columbia, and free. Go to the Advanced Search function, and narrow years from 1932-38, then click on the three available Vancouver area newspapers; the Daily Building Record, The Independent, and the Western Call.

You may find a few hundred results for vancouver baseball, but if you narrow it to vancouver telephone baseball, or firemen it would probably help. Good luck, and great cards. As always a very nice collection Dave.