PDA

View Full Version : Goudey 1930s envelope ID?

Leon
12-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Still going through and doing updates I found this Goudey envelope. I was thinking it carried the R309-1 prints but I found some R303s in it. I have a feeling the R303s (Cronin, Dickey, Lombardi) were just stuck in it after the fact. And a few Dimaggio's to show the type cards I found in it are below. The envelope is approx. 6 x 10 inches. Thanks for any and all help.

Stonepony
12-09-2014, 09:51 AM
http://loveofthegameauctions.com/Sensational-1934-Goudey-Premium-New-York-Giants-in-LOT3784.aspx

Leon
12-09-2014, 11:22 AM
http://loveofthegameauctions.com/Sensational-1934-Goudey-Premium-New-York-Giants-in-LOT3784.aspx

Thanks Dave.....

Hot Springs Bathers
12-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Leon- I think we can say with some level of certainty that there were at least six 1933 Lajoies in that envelope at some point.

steve B
12-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Interesting that they used a precancelled stamp on one of the envelopes. The permit envelope (The block upper right saying paid) should have been all that was needed.

I'm thinking that they used the permit envelope for first class mail since it doesn't say anything different. The 1 1/2 cent precancel would have covered I think third class mail which might have been required to be sent unsealed.

So maybe the 33 premiums went first class, and the 34s went third to save a bit of money?

I'm not quite up to speed on my 1930's postal rates. I'm ok with the older stuff but have forgotten a lot of the different 30's stuff. All of which were just as confusing as todays rates. Collecting envelopes from unusual uses is a branch of the stamp hobby that's popular right now.

Steve B
PS If anyone works for an antivenom lab that does scorpion stuff I REALLY want a box used to mail live scorpions. Just the box, no contents required. As long as it has the "contains live scorpions" notation. I might even swap a prewar card for one :D

jburl
12-09-2014, 08:11 PM
I just think it is phenomenal that sometimes there are live scorpions in the mail.

steve B
12-10-2014, 07:59 AM
It used to be crazier than that. Some of the stuff that could be sent can't anymore.

And they're big on boxes now.

The craziest I ever heard was a western town served by a very bad road. So bad that shipments of heavy stuff cost a fortune by wagon. So when someone opened a bank they had the bricks they used to build it mailed. Yes, not just a few, an entire building.

Steve B