PDA

View Full Version : OT: Amazon takes on eBay

t206hound
12-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Amazon has added a "make an offer" option...
"The new Amazon feature launched Tuesday with 150,000 items classified as sports and entertainment collectibles, and collectible coins and art. "

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/09/technology/amazon-ebay-make-an-offer/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

ATP
12-14-2014, 08:29 PM
For those who may be considering selling on amazon, thought this might be useful. One of the reasons I started was I knew they were rolling out the make an offer ability. What I didn't discover until this week is that an offer is by no means a commitment to buy. I received multiple offers this week, when you accept the offer it merely lets the buyer know you are willing to accept that price. They are under no obligation to buy, even though you have "accepted" the offer. You can't even tell who is making the offer. On one item, I suspect it was the same buyer, they just kept making offers, $25 lower each time, but had no interest in following through almost like they were just playing around seeing how low I might go on the card. I was somewhat excited about this option on amazon but so far have been really disappointed.

freakhappy
12-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Sounds like Amazon will eventually do everything that eBay does. Can't help it, but I still love eBay and do shop both. I think being a buyer is awesome on both sites, but as a seller there are ups and downs for both. I hope both continued success because I love me some shopping and don't want to think about being without one!

sports-rings
12-15-2014, 01:27 PM
I wish for the days of the simple auction where everything was bid on. In many cases, reserves would not be met but it was always interesting to be able to search thousands of auctions.

Sellers have gotten spoiled with high stagnant asking prices and buy it nows.

Does anyone think that someday another major website with an auction format will become popular and gain critical mass or are those days gone forever?