PDA

View Full Version : General Pet Peeve

bobbyw8469
12-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Forgive me if my vent is in the wrong spot. Enough with the absurd offers on cards. We have ALL been in the hobby for awhile. There is no stupid people here. We all know what cards are worth. The idea of stealing cards from a worthless widow who has no idea what her dead husband's collection is worth is not applicable here. Also, if you are going to quote prices, quote them for the card's applicable grader. Don't quote PSA prices for SGC cards and vice versa, just to have the pricing edge to your advantage. Like I said earlier, we are all professionals here. We have done this before....rant over.

Wildfireschulte
12-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Right on Bobby! But I must ask how you define a "worthless widow". I have known some widows to prove quite useful. Now a penniless widow would likely in time become worthless as compared to the much favored "rich widow".

bobbyw8469
12-07-2014, 10:27 AM
LOL!! I worded it poorly. I meant to say "poor", or someone lacking the proper knowledge to dispose of her dead husband's collection in order to maximize value!

vthobby
12-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Actually,

I just looked up these in SMR and an SGC or PSA graded authentic "Worthless Widow" is valued at $10 (the cost of grading basically) and the value of a graded "poor widow" is slightly higher at $20. :p

peace, mike

Peter_Spaeth
12-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Forgive me if my vent is in the wrong spot. Enough with the absurd offers on cards. We have ALL been in the hobby for awhile. There is no stupid people here. We all know what cards are worth. The idea of stealing cards from a worthless widow who has no idea what her dead husband's collection is worth is not applicable here. Also, if you are going to quote prices, quote them for the card's applicable grader. Don't quote PSA prices for SGC cards and vice versa, just to have the pricing edge to your advantage. Like I said earlier, we are all professionals here. We have done this before....rant over.

There are a lot of folks here who aren't that knowledgeable or experienced, at least yet. You may be holding people to too high a standard. I get annoyed sometimes by lowball offers too, but whatever, just say no and move on.

BlueDevil89
12-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Reading this post I was sort of laughing to myself as I was thinking the same thing this morning.

Now, I don't mind someone making a lowball offer. Any time someone is willing to offer something, I'm generally OK with that. What I don't appreciate, however, is when they start quoting recent comps for (as the original poster indicated) cards graded by other companies, or (and especially in this case) cards with the same grade that have obviously far less eye-appeal. Within the same grade there is a wide spectrum of eye-appeal, and hence, a wide range of values.

So, from my perspective, if you wish to make an offer, feel free to do so. But please refrain from thinking you need to educate another board member concerning the value of their cards by quoting recent eBay auction results for bad comps.

oldjudge
12-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Classic Line: "There is no stupid people here."

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
12-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Hahahaha

bobbyw8469
12-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Hahahaha

Touche! I was mad when I wrote that. I don't think too clearly when I am mad. I do know proper language techniques. There ARE no stupid people in here! Now, who wants to offer $400 for an $800 card?? Bueller? Bueller?

Jobu
12-07-2014, 02:33 PM
$375

bobbyw8469
12-07-2014, 02:57 PM
SOLD! Send the money paypal gift.

Brian Van Horn
12-07-2014, 03:19 PM

Well, put. It just happened to me.

EvilKing00
12-07-2014, 03:21 PM
I dont sell to much, but low offers never bother me id just counter them or tell them no. As a real estate broker i negotiate deals every day, and you cant imagine some lowball offers i have received, lmao. Needless to say, None ever work out.

1952boyntoncollector
12-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Well, put. It just happened to me.

right the sgc cards being quoted psa prices getting old...

Brian Van Horn
12-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Lol.

bobbyw8469
12-07-2014, 05:54 PM
right the sgc cards being quoted psa prices getting old...

USUALLY PSA cards have the higher value...with the EXCEPTION of prewar, I have noticed. I mean COME ON PEOPLE!! If I am selling an SGC card, don't tell me what the PSA examples bring, when you KNOW the SGC examples go for more money!! Some common sense goes along way!

vthobby
12-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Wow, you are on at least now an 8 hour journey ("rant"). You have some kind of stamina. Can I get the man another cup o' joe? :eek:

peace, mike

bobbyw8469
12-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Wow, you are on at least now an 8 hour journey ("rant"). You have some kind of stamina. Can I get the man another cup o' joe? :eek:

peace, mike

You want to know the irony Mike?? I don't drink coffee. I have never had a cup my entire life. Just having a little good clean fun. My name is posted, so I can say whatever I damn well please! :-p

1952boyntoncollector
12-07-2014, 06:58 PM
USUALLY PSA cards have the higher value...with the EXCEPTION of prewar, I have noticed. I mean COME ON PEOPLE!! If I am selling an SGC card, don't tell me what the PSA examples bring, when you KNOW the SGC examples go for more money!! Some common sense goes along way!

this is changing....it is my understanding that ages that collect psa prewar versus sgc are a lot higher....the future looks brighter for psa as the years go on...

vthobby
12-07-2014, 07:00 PM
You want to know the irony Mike?? I don't drink coffee. I have never had a cup my entire life. Just having a little good clean fun. My name is posted, so I can say whatever I damn well please! :-p

I can't believe there is someone else that does not drink coffee?? Me either! I get hot chocolate at DD and folks at work think its coffee. EVERYONE at my work drinks coffee.

I was just having fun too,

peace, mike

Wite3
12-07-2014, 10:16 PM
I also think the opposite might be true...don't overprice your cards and bump it seventy times wondering why no one is offering you what you want. Not saying that you do this (I generally think your prices are fine Bobby) but there are others here who do this often.

Joshua

obcbobd
12-08-2014, 06:54 AM
I also think the opposite might be true...don't overprice your cards and bump it seventy times wondering why no one is offering you what you want. Not saying that you do this (I generally think your prices are fine Bobby) but there are others here who do this often.

Joshua

+1

And please remember to some of us, the grading company is meaningless. I have a slight preference to PSA because they crack open a little easier with pliers. :)

thanks

Bob

ALR-bishop
12-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Even easier with a bolt cutter. 5 seconds and done. Never damaged a card yet

bn2cardz
12-08-2014, 07:48 AM
this is changing....it is my understanding that ages that collect psa prewar versus sgc are a lot higher....the future looks brighter for psa as the years go on...

Not until PSA treats every set fairly and stop only showing love to t206 collectors. It makes no sense that t207 and t205 still only get labeled with "Brown background" and "Gold Border" respectively and no mention of branding is listed. On t206 they even now list the subjects (140,350,460) and factory along with the brand.

I am not particular to one company over the other (I am not brand loyal any where in life) but they have to stop only appeasing one sector of the "collector universe" and make universal changes when applicable.

Leon
12-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Not until PSA treats every set fairly and stop only showing love to t206 collectors. It makes no sense that t207 and t205 still only get labeled with "Brown background" and "Gold Border" respectively and no mention of branding is listed. On t206 they even now list the subjects (140,350,460) and factory along with the brand.

I am not particular to one company over the other (I am not brand loyal any where in life) but they have to stop only appeasing one sector of the "collector universe" and make universal changes when applicable.

+1

David Hall, President and Director of Collectors Universe, collects T206. It's not surprising there is an emphasis there. There are valuable cards in T205 and T207 that are much more valuable due to their cigarette brand on back, just like T206. Their back brands should be noted too. This card with a Recruit back, a few hundred to a thousand dollars generally. This card with this back; more than that.

ullmandds
12-08-2014, 09:19 AM

we're all professional what?

bobbyw8469
12-08-2014, 05:24 PM
we're all professional what?

lol.....card enthusiasts?

conor912
12-08-2014, 06:05 PM

Hahaha....f%*@ing classic.

Exhibitman
12-09-2014, 08:28 AM
But please refrain from thinking you need to educate another board member concerning the value of their cards by quoting recent eBay auction results for bad comps.

My response when I get one of these comp-quoting knuckleheads: "That's really interesting. Go buy the card from them."