PDA

View Full Version : Ebay vs Net54

Runscott
12-06-2014, 02:31 PM
I sell quite a few cards,etc. on ebay, that I also have listed right here on Net54 BST.

This might seem intuitive, but you can get them cheaper if you buy them from my listings here - I save overhead, which I can pass on to you.

Jantz
12-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Do you ship to Canada? :D

DerekMichael
12-06-2014, 02:59 PM
When all is said and done net54 blows ebay out of the water in my experience.

lharri3600
12-06-2014, 05:09 PM

tep:D

cammb
12-07-2014, 09:16 AM

I find it quite the opposite. Net 54 board members are more knowledgeable and possess many of the cards you are looking to sell. Ebay offers more opportunity.

iwantitiwinit
12-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Do you ship to Canada? :D

Ha ha good one!

Vegas-guy
12-07-2014, 10:32 AM
I find it quite the opposite. Net 54 board members are more knowledgeable and possess many of the cards you are looking to sell. Ebay offers more opportunity.

+1. Unless you have a somewhat "rare" card it's hard to get Net54 members to open their wallets, even if you show past auctions/prices realized your going to get offered 50-70% less

frankbmd
12-07-2014, 11:21 AM
312 Board members can't be wrong:D...............or can they?:eek:

iwantitiwinit
12-07-2014, 01:54 PM
It's definitely better buying on bst than on ebay in my opinion.

1952boyntoncollector
12-07-2014, 02:09 PM
but i find it easier to buy bulk cards here...you rarely see nice lots on ebay......

someone was selling 1933 set of goudeys for example

BlueDevil89
12-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Good discussion / Wrong section.

lug-nut
12-07-2014, 10:58 PM
It's definitely better buying on bst than on ebay in my opinion.

yes, better to buy here but selling is tough...lots of people want bargain basement deals.

1952boyntoncollector
12-08-2014, 07:48 AM
yes, better to buy here but selling is tough...lots of people want bargain basement deals.

and many sellers what more than they will get on ebay especially after subtracting ebay fees....its pretty common to see 'price reduction' ..

thats why there is a bargaining process.....

bn2cardz
12-08-2014, 08:00 AM
It is interesting to me that people expect the buyers to not get the benefit of not selling on ebay.

I have had a buyer negotiate with me saying "well you save X amount of dollars by selling here". My thought is that I am not saving anything if I pass all that to you. You are the one saving by buying here and trying to get me to sell for my after fees price of selling on ebay.

I don't mind splitting the difference but why should the buyer get all of my "savings"?

vintagetoppsguy
12-08-2014, 08:26 AM
It is interesting to me that people expect the buyers to not get the benefit of not selling on ebay.

I have had a buyer negotiate with me saying "well you save X amount of dollars by selling here". My thought is that I am not saving anything if I pass all that to you. You are the one saving by buying here and trying to get me to sell for my after fees price of selling on ebay.

I don't mind splitting the difference but why should the buyer get all of my "savings"?

I see what you're saying, but the buyer is also giving up their eBay Bucks buying on Net54 rather than eBay - especially if they're they type to wait for quadruple eBay bucks.

I agree that splitting the difference is the way to go.

Runscott
12-08-2014, 09:25 AM
I didn't post to say that one was better than the other. I just didn't understand why Net54 members are paying me an extra ebay overhead fee when they can buy the same cards here for less.

My assumption was that they trust ebay transactions more, which is nonsensical. Also, there is a 'contact member' function in this forum that allows you to send either PM's or emails, depending on what the recipient is set up for, yet I am getting contacts for cards I'm selling here....through ebay, even referencing this forum. Again, is this to protect the buyer?

I'm very confused over this, but still selling cards, so I guess it's just a philosophical thing.

1952boyntoncollector
12-08-2014, 09:26 AM
man that was brilliant of ebay....so you have the buyer protection and ebay bucks and sometimes even 10% savings coupons to encourage buys on ebay.

that was real smart of ebay....on small deals its real hard to find a number that assures mutual benefit..but on 1000 dollar cards...i think its much easier to reach a common ground..

Also if a seller is willing to sell a card for Net $400 on ebay for example..why cant they pass all the savings to the buyer if seller is still netting $400...those savings were necessary for the deal to go through...

Runscott
12-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Good discussion / Wrong section.

Hi Christopher. My apologies - I didn't realize that we had a new moderator. Welcome and good luck in your new role.

frankbmd
12-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Coming soon to B/S/T,

Frank Bucks

:D:D:D

Runscott
12-09-2014, 10:17 AM
The ebay bucks is conceptually a valid explanation of why people have chosen ebay over Net54 when the item is in both places; however, that only works for people who haven't done the math. Ebay bucks aren't really all that much, even when delivered in multiples.

Section103
12-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Im always a little frustrated when I buy a card on ebay from a seller that turns out to be a member of Net54. I always think "man, we could have skipped the middle man".

If I have one strong consideration for buying on ebay over here, its that there is more "protection" buying there. I don't find that it's really necessary here - I think the honor system works very, very well here. But, a little peace of mind may be necessary for larger $ transactions.

1952boyntoncollector
12-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Im always a little frustrated when I buy a card on ebay from a seller that turns out to be a member of Net54. I always think "man, we could have skipped the middle man".

If I have one strong consideration for buying on ebay over here, its that there is more "protection" buying there. I don't find that it's really necessary here - I think the honor system works very, very well here. But, a little peace of mind may be necessary for larger $ transactions.

when you pay by paypal credit card you really have many of the same protections as ebay..

1952boyntoncollector
12-09-2014, 11:10 AM
The ebay bucks is conceptually a valid explanation of why people have chosen ebay over Net54 when the item is in both places; however, that only works for people who haven't done the math. Ebay bucks aren't really all that much, even when delivered in multiples.

what about 10% coupons they offer..from time to time which you can also use with your ebay bucks multiples and also you pay by credit card and not gift so you get cash back on credit card too...8% ebay bucks plus 10% coupon plus 1.5-2% cashback on credit card i think is more than 'really all that much' and may cause a buyer to prefer an ebay purchase in that situation..

vintagetoppsguy
12-09-2014, 12:11 PM
what about 10% coupons they offer..from time to time which you can also use with your ebay bucks multiples and also you pay by credit card and not gift so you get cash back on credit card too...8% ebay bucks plus 10% coupon plus 1.5-2% cashback on credit card i think is more than 'really all that much' and may cause a buyer to prefer an ebay purchase in that situation..

Exactly!

And I'll include another scenario too. Let’s say I have my eye on one of Scott’s cards and it’s $400 in his eBay store. He’s willing to sell it to me for $360 outside of eBay since he doesn’t have to pay the 10% final value fee (I don’t know if 10% is right or not, just using that number).

I get an email from eBay offering 4X eBay bucks for the next two days. So, now I can buy the card for $360 from him directly, or I can buy it on eBay and get $32 in eBay Bucks, basically costing me $368. Well, I want the card really bad, but I’m a little short this month because I had a major card repair. But, I can purchase it through eBay, use PayPal Credit to finance it interest free for 90 days (or 6 months – whichever it is) and get it now instead of having to wait because I’m short on funds. Make sense?

So, I paid $8 more buying it on eBay rather than directly through Scott. On the other hand, I got to keep my money in my pocket a little longer and pay for it when it was more convenient.

There are a lot of factors that come in to play here.

TistaT202
12-09-2014, 01:00 PM
In addition to the above scenarios, i also use Ebates, which provides up to 5-6% in rebates on eBay. the caveat is that the categories that apply change often and may not include sports cards & collectibles category. But it's worth a try and when it does, you can tack on extra money back in addition to eBay bucks, coupons, credit card savings etc...it all adds up. i have paid for card purchases using my ebates money that ends up in my paypal account every quarter.

Mike

http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=R2M8KosS%2BILkx9UJavjFSQ%3D%3D&eeid=26471

tschock
12-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Well, I want the card really bad, but I’m a little short this month because I had a major card repair....

David,

A slip of the finger there? Or are you saying you doctor your cards? :eek: ;) :)

vintagetoppsguy
12-09-2014, 01:44 PM
David,

A slip of the finger there? Or are you saying you doctor your cards? :eek: ;) :)

Ha! :D

Meant car repair

vintagetoppsguy
12-10-2014, 07:29 AM
And speaking of 4X eBay Bucks, it starts today and lasts through tomorrow.

Edited to add: It starts today at 8:00 AM PT. I didn't want anybody to click the BIN on something this morning and miss the eBay Bucks because they bought too early.

jbsports33
12-10-2014, 08:53 AM
good discussion, but having this on the main board may have others interested

I like using both, mostly eBay due to the format and listings and templates which I have use for many years, will be starting to spread sales around more in other directions like the B/S/T

Thanks Net54 for having the great resources

Jimmy

Runscott
12-10-2014, 09:19 AM
good discussion, but having this on the main board may have others interested

I like using both, mostly eBay due to the format and listings and templates which I have use for many years, will be starting to spread sales around more in other directions like the B/S/T

Thanks Net54 for having the great resources

Jimmy

Jimmy, I posted this thread in this forum for a reason that is probably very obvious to almost everyone who is reading it. If you look at the 'for sale' thread in the same vicinity you will get it.

Leon
12-10-2014, 09:46 AM
This just goes to show I don't read every thread. :eek:

btw, Scott F. if you want me to copy this back to the other thread in the BST, I can do that too. But it's a good main board discussion also....

Runscott
12-10-2014, 10:02 AM
This just goes to show I don't read every thread. :eek:

btw, Scott F. if you want me to copy this back to the other thread in the BST, I can do that too. But it's a good main board discussion also....

Thanks Leon, but I think those guys are correct. I was just being hard-headed.

Thanks.

jbsports33
12-10-2014, 11:06 AM
I try and look at all the sections when I can , just thought it would be good for others to read the posts that have already been done. Have to get back to some real work now - but hey maybe we will get more responses this way

Jimmy

Runscott
12-10-2014, 11:45 AM
I try and look at all the sections when I can , just thought it would be good for others to read the posts that have already been done. Have to get back to some real work now - but hey maybe we will get more responses this way

Jimmy

I've learned more from the original post than I expected.

kmac32
12-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Selling on Net54 depends on what you are selling. I have tried to sell some W572 cards here and due to limited audience, they do not always sell even if you say the price is negotiable. They always sell on ebay although you may not get what they are worth. Now selling E121 or more popular cards are easy to sell on Net54

1952boyntoncollector
12-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Selling on Net54 depends on what you are selling. I have tried to sell some W572 cards here and due to limited audience, they do not always sell even if you say the price is negotiable. They always sell on ebay although you may not get what they are worth. Now selling E121 or more popular cards are easy to sell on Net54

never understood how when someone sells something on ebay, you can say 'may not get what they are worth'

I know there are highs and lows..but but part of being what a card is 'worth' is knowing what the low end it could go for in a bad week....

now selling to one person for a fixed price...I understand selling for less than what its worth....assuming even bad week auctions the item would of sold for higher than what it sold for to the individual for a fixed price..

VoodooChild
12-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Ebay bucks, discount and promotional coupons, and just general ease of use are the main reasons I will buy from ebay. However, I do check the BST here everyday and would prefer to buy here rather than ebay.

Unless your username here is the same as your username on ebay, I probably wouldn't even think to reach out to you. Also, when buying from an ebay auction listing, I would assume that the card would not be available here on the BST correct? When I do search ebay BIN's, I normally only buy if the price seems really good to me. One time I did recognize the ebay username from this site. I did think that maybe I should contact the seller here. But the price seemed really good and I was afraid that if I waited for him to respond via PM here that I would miss out. You know - "you snooze, you lose".

Leon
12-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Exactly!

And I'll include another scenario too. Let’s say I have my eye on one of Scott’s cards and it’s $400 in his eBay store. He’s willing to sell it to me for $360 outside of eBay since he doesn’t have to pay the 10% final value fee (I don’t know if 10% is right or not, just using that number).

I get an email from eBay offering 4X eBay bucks for the next two days. So, now I can buy the card for $360 from him directly, or I can buy it on eBay and get $32 in eBay Bucks, basically costing me $368. Well, I want the card really bad, but I’m a little short this month because I had a major card repair. But, I can purchase it through eBay, use PayPal Credit to finance it interest free for 90 days (or 6 months – whichever it is) and get it now instead of having to wait because I’m short on funds. Make sense?

So, I paid $8 more buying it on eBay rather than directly through Scott. On the other hand, I got to keep my money in my pocket a little longer and pay for it when it was more convenient.

There are a lot of factors that come in to play here.

I spent more than $8 of my time reading this. Isn't there a coupon I can clip or something?

barrysloate
12-10-2014, 02:12 PM
I spent more than $8 of my time reading this. Isn't there a coupon I can clip or something?

You mean it took you an entire hour to read this? :)

Runscott
12-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Ebay bucks, discount and promotional coupons, and just general ease of use are the main reasons I will buy from ebay. However, I do check the BST here everyday and would prefer to buy here rather than ebay.

Unless your username here is the same as your username on ebay, I probably wouldn't even think to reach out to you. Also, when buying from an ebay auction listing, I would assume that the card would not be available here on the BST correct? When I do search ebay BIN's, I normally only buy if the price seems really good to me. One time I did recognize the ebay username from this site. I did think that maybe I should contact the seller here. But the price seemed really good and I was afraid that if I waited for him to respond via PM here that I would miss out. You know - "you snooze, you lose".

Jason, I was only referring to items that are offered on both ebay and Net54;i.e-the customer clearly could choose between one or the other and chose ebay over Net54. It's no big deal - I've been enlightened as to the reasons.

kmac32
12-10-2014, 02:49 PM
never understood how when someone sells something on ebay, you can say 'may not get what they are worth'

I know there are highs and lows..but but part of being what a card is 'worth' is knowing what the low end it could go for in a bad week....

now selling to one person for a fixed price...I understand selling for less than what its worth....assuming even bad week auctions the item would of sold for higher than what it sold for to the individual for a fixed price..

My point is that listing them on Net54 for some of the cards, there are sometimes not even one inquiry where if they are listed on Ebay at a reasonable starting price, they almost always sell.

jbsports33
12-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Scott if you had tried asking me a question, not sure I understand - just got back from work to see if anyone had more thoughts on the topic

Jimmy

Runscott
12-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Scott if you had tried asking me a question, not sure I understand - just got back from work to see if anyone had more thoughts on the topic

Jimmy

No, I just said that I learned a lot more from this thread than I expected - lots of insights that had never crossed my mind.

jbsports33
12-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Yes - this is a good topic and I have learned something myself, after being on eBay sense 1998 and being on Net54 about five years there is big difference between the two. When you can talk with your buyers or sellers in a more comfortable format - why not use it Net54, one of the only sites I check almost everyday.

Jimmy

EvilKing00
12-10-2014, 07:13 PM
In addition to the above scenarios, i also use Ebates, which provides up to 5-6% in rebates on eBay. the caveat is that the categories that apply change often and may not include sports cards & collectibles category. But it's worth a try and when it does, you can tack on extra money back in addition to eBay bucks, coupons, credit card savings etc...it all adds up. i have paid for card purchases using my ebates money that ends up in my paypal account every quarter.

Mike

http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=R2M8KosS%2BILkx9UJavjFSQ%3D%3D&eeid=26471

Yea enates is awesome, just bought 370 card got 4x ebay bucks and was through ebates. But i love the bst alot too