PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Ebay item i sold (Global Shipping Program)-never intended to use it

pawpawdiv9
12-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Last night i sold a 75.00 card + 10s/h
I went to send a invoice and get this message:

Send Invoice to Buyer

Warning
you can't send invoice for this order
The item(s) will ship using the Global Shipping Program. As part of the program, buyer directly pays international shipping and import charges to the third-party shipping provider. The buyer will still be able to complete checkout even if you don't send an invoice.

So i clicked on the buyer...which says is from CANADA. In my item description i cleary write U.S. Bidders only.
So i am asking what to do??? The person has not paid yet and i have no experience in shipping to Canada and if i need to send a message noting any time delay for shipping as i read in another thread.

ctownboy
12-06-2014, 10:57 AM
First, did you just write US buyers only in the description or did you also unclick "will sell internationally"?

Second, I am pretty sure you can opt out of the International Shipping Program. That way, even of you do somehow sell something international and didn't intend to, you can send an Invoice and the buyer doesn't have to use the International Shipping Program that eBay has.

David

pawpawdiv9
12-06-2014, 11:03 AM
In all my descriptions. I write: U.S. Bidders only
I was thinking of sending the buyer that message. I never done this and say a bit scares me to a point. I just read up on Ebay that i would send to a shipping center and they take care of it.

I didnt even realize there was a opt-out tab or anything...thanks for the info there.
Here is the link to the item i sold:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201229361600?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

cardsfan73
12-06-2014, 11:46 AM
I don't sell very often on ebay but when I do I always check under the shipping details to make sure I have global shipping program unchecked & I also go under the "Create/Edit Exclusion List" and make sure check any places I don't want to ship too. This might help you out in the future. Good luck!

Scott

vintagetoppsguy
12-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Just curious, but why $10 shipping? :eek:

Pat R
12-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Chris, It does say ships to: United States and many other countries.

Jobu
12-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Yeah, you have international shipping listed as an option even though you wrote US bidders only. I think you probably have to ship the item.

Ebay told you that you can't send an invoice because the buyer has agreed to pay fees that you can't see. They pay the $75 price plus the $10 shipping to get it to Ebay in the US. Then Ebay has also charged them extra for import duties and shipping to Canada (amounts that you never see). Hence you can't send an invoice because it will be for $75 + $10 and not the total amount the buyer actually owes Ebay.

If you don't want to use global shipping you must be sure to click the "no international shipping" button for each listing. PLUS - be careful not to click that option and then try to use the up/down arrow to scroll the page because this changes your selection if you haven't first clicked on something else. This mistake has happened to me. I imagine it is also responsible for a lot of the complaints on this board along the lines of "WTF!?!?! STUPID EBAY TURNED GLOBAL SHIPPING ON FOR ME!!!!" I know that was my reaction when I first saw a few changed listings. It may also be that Ebay can enroll you in Global Shipping if they feel like it - others have mentioned this as a possibility.

Good luck. I can tell you that I used the program to send an item to Singapore that I intended for US sale only and everything went smoothly.

pawpawdiv9
12-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks..i was unaware of the shipping changes...my item relist automactically or i relist and never made any changes before the program.
I will go thru my listings once again and review/edit them.
As for s/h 10$....priorty flat rate & insurance (i fluctuate between 5-10 at times)

swarmee
12-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Doesn't really matter; if you're on the Global Shipping Program, it works like this: eBay sends the invoice, and adds in the customs tax. Buyer pays. Then you mail it to eBay's international shipping center in Kentucky. They open your package, confirm it's what you said, give you positive feedback, then mail it to Canada.

Really no harder than mailing to a US resident.

pawpawdiv9
12-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Solved: We agreed to cancel the transaction.
Ok. good to know where the shipping center is..didnt know that part.
As for them opening the box in KY...i wonder about lost/stolen items..I read if you bought insurance, thats its only good from your residence to the facility only. And if buying signature confirmation, it works the same way. So i am guessing the KY facilty is held responsible afterwards? But your still held responsible for the shipping time? Just guessing.

swarmee
12-06-2014, 05:29 PM
EBay charges additional shipping to Canada to the buyer as well. eBay insures the package on that leg of the trip. eBay has already given you feedback for the shipping time, so it doesn't really matter how long it takes to get to Canada.

harlem86
12-08-2014, 10:24 PM
I think everyone basically answered it. As long as you got your package to the global shipping center in Kentucky in a timely manner, Ebay treats it as a done deal. After contents are verified, you get positive feedback, same as a smooth domestic transaction.

That being said, I recently cancelled four deals that had to go global shipping because the buyers belatedly asked if I could cancel, because $15.32 shipping and handling was too much to pay on an item that sold for $1.00. (dont know why they agreed to the S/h fees in the first place)

But...I agreed in principle with the buyers. So I gave a refund and agreed to mutually cancel the deals.

If the buyer requests a total before they pay, the seller can opt out of global shipping and give their quote for shipping and send directly to the buyer & prepare customs forms. Just like before.

I re-posted the listings on ebay, with high BIN prices and best offer format knowing I would accept previous buyers offers. The same buyers bought the same cards and, in those cases, the buyers saved about $12.00 each because I charged about $3.00 to ship.

Global shipping is probably great for big ticket items but with $1-$10 cards it kills international sales.

marvymelvin
12-08-2014, 11:07 PM
I am not sure why everyone is freaking out about shipping to Canada. My heck, its not like it is East Germany or USSR in the 50's. It is no different than shipping within the US, you just have to fill out a form at the counter declaring the value of the item and what the contents are. It takes about three seconds. Always ask for a tracking number and your all set.

Don't use UPS because they charge the buyer crazy customs fees upon delivery. Regular USPS post for small items, and no customs issues at all.

It is nothing to be "scared of". I always find it strange when a seller writes, "will not ship to Canada!!!". Why not. I have lived a lot in both countries and also have done a lot of Ebay business from both. Maybe I am missing something but what is the big deal. Why even bother using Ebay's international service, it is not worth it for items to Canada, and just another money grab for them.

A few cards in a small bubble mailer will cost you maybe $5 to ship to Canada, and no extra customs fees for the anyone. Ebay international program for Canada is charging extra fees "illegally" in my opinion, because unless it is a large size and large ticket item, Canada post will not even charge a single penny for customs or duty tax to the buyer.

Forgive me, but I hear words like "scared" and "afraid" in reference to shipping to Canada and I have to laugh a little. There are a lot of wealthy baseball card collectors in Canada and you are missing out on sales because your afraid to take a few seconds to fill out a form stating "WHAT IS INSIDE THE BOX". Good grief!

Tabe
12-09-2014, 01:35 AM
The reason a lot of sellers won't sell to Canada is that they don't realize you can get inexpensive tracking now. You couldn't before.

slidekellyslide
12-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Solved: We agreed to cancel the transaction.

I hope you didn't mark "Out of Stock" on the reason for cancellation...this will result in a "defect", and you could lose whatever seller status you currently have.

danmckee
12-09-2014, 01:35 PM
This is a great service, you ship the item to Kentucky and ebay sends it out of the Country for you. Once you get it to Kentucky you are covered. $10 shipping is very excessive though IMHO.

slidekellyslide
12-09-2014, 03:48 PM
This is a great service, you ship the item to Kentucky and ebay sends it out of the Country for you. Once you get it to Kentucky you are covered. $10 shipping is very excessive though IMHO.

I stopped using it...too many International buyers are backing out of the sale because Ebay is charging outrageous shipping and they are charging customs fees for items that don't always require the buyer to pay customs on. Also you as the seller are completely locked out of the transaction, and it's not always clear to me that ebay is sending invoices right away considering the amount of "please send me an invoice" emails that I'm getting.