PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake - Card Shop?

jburl
12-05-2014, 09:02 AM
I'm going to Salt Lake next week on business, and I was wondering if there is a good local card shop there. Any advice on that front or other things to do?

-Burl

Orioles1954
12-05-2014, 10:32 AM
I know of only a couple established pre-war collectors in the SLC/Provo/Orem area. Pretty sure there are no card shops that specialize in vintage material. Good luck!

Centauri
12-05-2014, 10:32 AM
I live in SLC, and unfortunately pickins are slim. There is 1 shop in town that has anything other than new packs - Overtime Cards in Midvale. The owner is a nice lady, and they have a few 50's & 60's cards at a pretty fair price. Nothing older.

Not sure your timing, but there is a periodic show, next one on Dec 13-14 at a local mall, and there has been some vintage there most times. I bought my first T205 at this show, and with Christmas coming up, I would bet most dealers will be there. A couple dealers who have everything topps as well. Nothing like an 80's show, but pretty decent.

honus94566
12-05-2014, 10:39 AM
No good card shops, sorry. I live about 15 miles south of SLC. Not much to do this time of year either, unless you are a skier/snowboarder, but there's not much snow yet this year because it's been so warm. In the summer there are some really good hiking trails and outdoorsy things to do, but this time of year things are just kind or brown and ugly. You can go downtown to temple square where they have lots of christmas lights and stuff, but the crowds are heavy. Most of the history in the city is mormon related so that may or may not interest you, if it does there are quite a few historical sites. If you go to temple square you can see the tabernacle which was built 150 years ago with no nails, it's amazing acoustically and there are always concerts this time of year. As an ex-mormon myself I have kind of a love/hate relationship with this state, one of the frustrating things is the wacky liquor laws and inability to get draft beer over 3.2% ABW.

Hmmm, let's see what else, Utah's capitol building is just north of downtown and is impressive considering the size of the state, it can be worth a half hour for a self guided tour. It's also up on a hill so you get good views of the city.

One thing about SLC, there are quite a few really good restaurants. Let me know what kind of food you like and I could definitely give you a few recommendations.

How long will you be here? Let me know if you want to get together for some watered down beer and a peek at my new Black Swamp Find Wagner! :)

Not sure your timing, but there is a periodic show, next one on Dec 13-14 at a local mall, and there has been some vintage there most times. I bought my first T205 at this show, and with Christmas coming up, I would bet most dealers will be there. A couple dealers who have everything topps as well. Nothing like an 80's show, but pretty decent.

Which show is this? Maybe I should check it out.

Centauri
12-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Sorry - should have mentioned where the show is!

Valley Fair Mall, about 10 minutes from downtown.

3601 S. 2700 W.
West Valley City,
UT 84119

Note: I am in no way affiliated with the show organizers or dealers. Just giving a PSA.

honus94566
12-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Sorry - should have mentioned where the show is!

Valley Fair Mall, about 10 minutes from downtown.

3601 S. 2700 W.
West Valley City,
UT 84119

Note: I am in no way affiliated with the show organizers or dealers. Just giving a PSA.

Cool, thanks.

I know a few other vintage collectors here in SLC, we should all get together some time.

LEHR
12-05-2014, 12:13 PM
I'll chime in although I don't have much to offer that hasn't been said already. I live in SLC just a few blocks East of the Capitol building. As far as card shops go the couple I've been to have been a complete waste of time. The Capitol building is amazing inside and is worth the tour. If you like art the University of Utah has a really nice art collection and is well worth the $9 admission fee. Temple Square and downtown are all lit up this time of year but it will be very crowded. If you're into basketball the Jazz have home games the 9th against the Spurs and the 12th against the Heat. Like others have said its been a rather mild winter so far so the ski resorts are still kinda iffy. I love the snow and winter in Utah but truthfully I find much more to do here in warmer weather. I could also recommend restaurants or other things to do based on what it is you're looking for.

And thanks Centauri for the VSM show info. I didn't know about it but will definitely check it out!

jburl
12-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the input! I'll be in touch about eats and such.

-Burl

edjs
12-05-2014, 09:02 PM
The Brazilian BBQ restraint is the best! It is the only restraint I know in SLC, when I go there it is only overnight, so that is the only place there I ever eat. And I have no idea the name, just that it is Brazilian BBQ.:confused:

LEHR
12-05-2014, 11:31 PM
The Brazilian BBQ restraint is the best! It is the only restraint I know in SLC, when I go there it is only overnight, so that is the only place there I ever eat. And I have no idea the name, just that it is Brazilian BBQ.:confused:

I wonder if you're referring to Texas De Brazil. It's downtown SLC and is exceptionally good!

12-05-2014, 11:35 PM

I was there a few months ago and ate at a Brazilian steakhouse called Tuscanos; I thought it was great.

Snowbird was also nice (even though there wasn't any snow). We ate at a nice restaurant up there called The Aerie.

My ears have finally stopped popping. :)

edjs
12-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Oh lord, I just noticed what my iPad auto corrected my incorrect spelling of restaurant to. Yikes.

Paul S
12-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Don't worry, Ed. I once had a restraining order against an ex iPad and we ended up having a nice meal at obedience school.