PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it is me?

1963Topps Set
12-03-2014, 05:43 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-261-Willie-Mays-Outfield-New-York-Giants-NY-Giants-Poor-/111537228873?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item19f8230c49

The above link is to an Ebay auction for a 1952 Topps Willie Mays. As you can see, at one point, the card was either ripped or cut in half then taped back together! the seller wants $350.00 for it. There is a best offer option, but when I offered $20.00, which is what I feel it's worth, I was turned down because the seller said he almost $200 in the card. The truth is, he paid $154 in a previous Ebay auction. I do not find that figure to be "close to $200"!

Am I the only one who thinks this card is WAY over priced? Or is this the fair market value for this card in this condition?

Many thanks for your input.

It is greatly appreciated.

savedfrommyspokes
12-04-2014, 07:31 AM
In regards to the FMV of this card, for this card (or any card ) it is worth only what someone is willing to pay.

In regards to the sellers $200 "cost", that number was likely derived by the seller as the price he needs to realize in order to cover the following: original cost ($154) + the original s/h cost ($3) + the ebay/PP fees to sell the card (9% of $200 is $18+ PP is $6) + his cost to ship safely ($2.50) + his "time" to flip this card (seller values at $16.50).

autograf
12-04-2014, 09:33 AM
$300+ is too much for that card when there are SGC2/PSA2/AUTH copies out there on ebay now for $400-$500 that are really pretty nice--to look at anyway. My copy is a SGC5 that I got in a lot with a similarly graded Rizutto and I paid about $900 for the pair. Although it's more expensive, wait till a 3 or so comes along and save your money. You won't regret it.

autograf
12-04-2014, 09:36 AM
DISCLAIMER.....I've bought cards from the seller (52's) and find him to be a good seller.....

Hammerin'Hank
12-09-2014, 07:27 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-261-Willie-Mays-Outfield-New-York-Giants-NY-Giants-Poor-/111537228873?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item19f8230c49

The above link is to an Ebay auction for a 1952 Topps Willie Mays. As you can see, at one point, the card was either ripped or cut in half then taped back together! the seller wants $350.00 for it. There is a best offer option, but when I offered $20.00, which is what I feel it's worth, I was turned down because the seller said he almost $200 in the card. The truth is, he paid $154 in a previous Ebay auction. I do not find that figure to be "close to $200"!

Am I the only one who thinks this card is WAY over priced? Or is this the fair market value for this card in this condition?

Many thanks for your input.

It is greatly appreciated.
If he sells for $200 then he only gets $160 from ebay after fees and commission. Perhaps that is why he says he needs $200 to get his $154 investment back.

1952boyntoncollector
12-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Usually the last thing a Seller who says before he says "ill keep the card' when asking for more than market value (card listed for months and months etc) is "I paid X for it"

This is usually after showing the seller the past ebay sales, the past VCP sales, SMR etc.......never understood why they say 'I paid X for it' If looking to pay market price, i like to pay what cards are worth, not what the seller claims they paid for it.

Does that mean they misjudged the value before? So now they are an expert of market value based on their mistake? I would think that makes them prone to new mistakes.

Yes i know when they mean to say they wont sell it for what you want to pay for it because thats what they paid for it..but really they mean to say "Cant offer it at market value because I paid X for it"

We are not talking about prying card away from a private collection, this is an active seller. Seller can do whatever they want with the card...but they cant complain they are not being offered 'market value' when their main argument is 'I paid x for the card"

bnorth
12-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Usually the last thing a Seller who says before he says "ill keep the card' when asking for more than market value (card listed for months and months etc) is "I paid X for it"

This is usually after showing the seller the past ebay sales, the past VCP sales, SMR etc.......never understood why they say 'I paid X for it' If looking to pay market price, i like to pay what cards are worth, not what the seller claims they paid for it.

Does that mean they misjudged the value before? So now they are an expert of market value based on their mistake? I would think that makes them prone to new mistakes.

Yes i know when they mean to say they wont sell it for what you want to pay for it because thats what they paid for it..but really they mean to say "Cant offer it at market value because I paid X for it"

We are not talking about prying card away from a private collection, this is an active seller. Seller can do whatever they want with the card...but they cant complain they are not being offered 'market value' when their main argument is 'I paid x for the card"

I like your Market Value posts, please explain market value to me.

Republicaninmass
12-09-2014, 09:56 AM
If the worst PSA 1 sells for 200, where does your $20 estimate come from? I can't see a Mays selling for less than 150, even of it is a rat

1952boyntoncollector
12-09-2014, 11:14 AM
I like your Market Value posts, please explain market value to me.

go an offer me a card and we can discuss...any listed on ebay right now? i got an ebay coupon so you got yourself a good potential buyer...what you got?