PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Mickey Mantle Topps 311

larietrope
12-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Other than the desire to own such a card, would it be a good investment even a graded 2 or 3 card ? What would be your ceiling on a 2-3 card ?
Thanks.

MattyC
12-02-2014, 03:41 PM
I can tell you I nearly doubled my investment when I sold my three after owning it two years. Ceiling would all depend on the eye appeal and centering of the card in question.

1952boyntoncollector
12-09-2014, 07:40 AM
Stock market the past 2 years a better investment....i wouldnt ever attempt to lose money, i mean invest. in a low end card as an investment unless the low end condition is in the tp 1/3 condition of that card.

Republicaninmass
12-09-2014, 07:49 AM
I think that time has passed. In my humble opinion, demand will keep the card from tanking, but I can't see it continuing it's climb like it has over the next 2-3 years.

Beatles Guy
12-09-2014, 07:52 AM
Stock market the past 2 years a better investment....i wouldnt ever attempt to lose money, i mean invest. in a low end card as an investment unless the low end condition is in the tp 1/3 condition of that card.

The stock market has been great, but the thing about it is you never know when the next crash is coming (and it is coming). An investment in a Mantle with good eye appeal as mentioned above, is actually safer IMO. Granted, the stock market may make more money for you initially, but the Mick has never came crashing down in one fell swoop :)

MattyC
12-09-2014, 09:59 AM
People often try and compare cards to stocks. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Perhaps it comes closest to being such a pure comparison for someone interested in a mercenary sale of any given card for sheer profit. But I'd venture that usually those seeking to own a card like a 52 Mantle have some genuine affinity for it on a sentimental, aesthetic, or collector level. Each card is a discrete entity with its own appealing or unappealing characteristics. There is a daily enjoyment and pride of ownership. A stock or other traditional investment tool just is not the same in those respects. I have never looked at stocks or bonds the way I look at cards or a painting or a rare book. Just intrinsically such different animals, though all can be worth money.

Donscards
12-09-2014, 10:57 AM
The 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle has really been in demand forever--the last 6 months, he has jumped plenty---I sold a nice psa 5 Mantle in June for $20k--today it would go $25-28K (centering was nice on that one) I sold a psa 3 Mantle a month ago for $15K---I have a low grade 2.5 on ebay right now and have been offered 10 for it. Anyway Mickey is still the Golden Boy.

1952boyntoncollector
12-09-2014, 11:04 AM
People often try and compare cards to stocks. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Perhaps it comes closest to being such a pure comparison for someone interested in a mercenary sale of any given card for sheer profit. But I'd venture that usually those seeking to own a card like a 52 Mantle have some genuine affinity for it on a sentimental, aesthetic, or collector level. Each card is a discrete entity with its own appealing or unappealing characteristics. There is a daily enjoyment and pride of ownership. A stock or other traditional investment tool just is not the same in those respects. I have never looked at stocks or bonds the way I look at cards or a painting or a rare book. Just intrinsically such different animals, though all can be worth money.

The guy that started the thread asked if the card was a good investment.......i agree there is enjoyment as a hobby and self satisfaction for our obsession in this hobby if we actually make money on a card.....but just as an investment id rather invest in other areas.....

plus once you start looking to buy commons cards for a set..you are going to lose money....sure if want 25 1952 mantles..you are doing well .but nobody that loves cards just buys only 'investment' cards...thats where we all end up paying for the hobby..but its a hobby...its fun..and it costs money just like any hobby..

1952boyntoncollector
12-09-2014, 11:05 AM
The 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle has really been in demand forever--the last 6 months, he has jumped plenty---I sold a nice psa 5 Mantle in June for $20k--today it would go $25-28K (centering was nice on that one) I sold a psa 3 Mantle a month ago for $15K---I have a low grade 2.5 on ebay right now and have been offered 10 for it. Anyway Mickey is still the Golden Boy.

dang..where was i in june...i would of paid you more than 20k...

1952boyntoncollector
12-09-2014, 11:34 AM
personally i think a psa 10 RC Munsons is the best investment, especially real ones..

GregC
12-10-2014, 07:03 AM
In the sense that you will likely never lose money on the purchase and can turn the card back into cash faster than any other card, I would say yes, it is a good investment.

Add in the joy of ownership as Matty highlighted and it's a great place to park a few dollars for the long term IMO.

Jdoggs
12-11-2014, 10:01 AM
In the sense that you will likely never lose money on the purchase and can turn the card back into cash faster than any other card, I would say yes, it is a good investment.

Add in the joy of ownership as Matty highlighted and it's a great place to park a few dollars for the long term IMO.

The truth is the 1952 topps mantle will always be a favorite of card collectors. There have been several 1952 topps mantle PSA 7 private sales recently for over $100,000 each.
PSA 6's and SGC 80's have recently been selling privately for over $60,000 each.

1952boyntoncollector
12-11-2014, 10:09 AM
how do you come across private sale info

Jdoggs
12-11-2014, 10:14 AM
how do you come across private sale info
From fellow respected collectors and reputable dealers.

1952boyntoncollector
12-11-2014, 10:18 AM
From fellow respected collectors and reputable dealers.

ah so we take their word on it........

MattyC
12-11-2014, 11:19 AM
If you know the sellers and the buyers, it's not so much taking one's word. Even less so if you are the seller or the buyer.

Jdoggs
12-11-2014, 12:06 PM

I know the buyers and sellers.

GregC
12-11-2014, 12:46 PM

I bought mine privately. I had some PM's and a few folks at the last White Plains show asking what I paid and happily answered.

1952boyntoncollector
12-11-2014, 01:03 PM
how much did you pay for the card?

MattyC
12-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Greg is keeping that card til he's dead, so I am certain he has no problem sharing what he paid, LOL!

GregC
12-11-2014, 02:00 PM
how much did you pay for the card?

$7750 for a centered SGC 1.5.

Peter_Spaeth
12-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Good price for a centered example.

1952boyntoncollector
12-11-2014, 06:36 PM
I asked Greg how much you paid for the 4.5..so we know the private sale amount..

MattyC
12-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Boynton, GregC doesn't own a 4.5.

1952boyntoncollector
12-11-2014, 08:14 PM
my bad..

Peter_Spaeth
12-11-2014, 08:27 PM
I've bought many cards privately but just as a matter of personal taste I don't think I would be discussing what I paid on a public forum. Not that there is anything wrong with it.

Mantles sell frequently enough that I think you can get a pretty good idea of what to pay for one just by relying on publicly available data. When I was in the market I found numerous transactions on cardtarget and vcp and while of course many were out of date, I was able to piece it together with trends to come up with a reasonable idea.

You do have to be very careful though as has been pointed out. There are scams every day, and disturbingly there are fakes in fake holders that people have been burned by.

1952boyntoncollector
12-11-2014, 08:33 PM
I just don't rely on what private sales are..

but this discussion started when the seller of the mantle refused to disclose any more info to me after I showed in a past sale last year of the 1952 mantle he was selling after he said he has had the card for many years

to me that was a discrepancy he could of addressed..didn't have to say how much he go the card for but where he got it seemed to matter at that point

Peter_Spaeth
12-11-2014, 08:34 PM
No figuring some people out, I guess. What would be interesting to me is whether the sellers who obviously don't have the card actually get away with it ever, or if Paypal/ebay will always side with the buyer when it comes down to he said she said.