PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Philadelphia Athletics Baseball World Series Medallions

Mac927
11-28-2014, 05:30 PM
I recently purchased these medallions at an estate auction 15 miles away from Gettysburg, PA and I am searching for information on them. They come in what appears to be an original case with two indentations where the medallions belong. There are a total of 2 medallions, one bigger and the other smaller. I believe they are from 1911. I do not know if these were presented to players or part of a press pin. Any information would be very helpful in identifying them. Thanks for your time.

bobbvc
11-28-2014, 06:36 PM
No info- but VERY Nice!

sporteq
11-28-2014, 09:46 PM
I believe these are from 1913 NOT 1911. The 1911 medal has scallop edges, while the 1913 version has smoothed edges. Do a quick google search you'll see the difference.

Albert

filmmaker
11-29-2014, 06:02 AM
I did a little research and found that the 1911 medallions have the Elephant Trunk going up in the air. And the 1913 medallions have the Elephant Trunk going down. So I believe the set you have is from 1911

sporteq
11-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Good point on the trunk. I have not found a 1911 sample with scallop edges. Maybe these were produced to be put into a time piece and the scallop edges were not created.

Albert

batsballsbases
11-29-2014, 11:23 AM
I to believe they might be from 1911. I do remember seeing these in an auction catalog somewhere a long time ago. All the 1913 ones I have seen have AMERICAN BASEBALL printed in the baseball across the front. Yours dont appear to have that. Who knows but they might have been left blank to put the players initals on the front of the ball. In any event great pick-up and a nice piece! congrats.

Mac927
11-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Thank you for all of your help! Its a mystery to me of their orgin.

Batsballsbases- Do you remember what auction house had these and how much they sold for??

I cant find any other medallions like these, which makes it tough trying to know exactly what they are.

I know this is a stretch but could they be from Eddie Planks personal collection since I purchased these 10 miles from Gettysburg?? Just a thought.

HRBAKER
11-29-2014, 02:33 PM
Beautiful pieces!!!!

baseball tourist
11-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Perhaps the estate auctioneers can offer some insight as to original owner (assuming they weren't from a colectors belongings, as opposed to from an original owner or original owner's family).

batsballsbases
11-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Thank you for all of your help! Its a mystery to me of their orgin.

Batsballsbases- Do you remember what auction house had these and how much they sold for??

I cant find any other medallions like these, which makes it tough trying to know exactly what they are.

I know this is a stretch but could they be from Eddie Planks personal collection since I purchased these 10 miles from Gettysburg?? Just a thought.

Sorry Mac927 it was many years ago 20+ but I do remember them as they were in a very similar velvet box like yours. As for being Eddie Planks everyone who finds items like this always want to think it came from a big star,could it be maybe but without a photo or documentation a big stretch!:D But still a very nice find and buy. Curious was this just a regular house estate sale and was there any other (baseball or sports) items selling there. I know sometimes that items are brought in from other house sales that didnt sell from other tag sales and " seeded in" so maybe they didnt start out at that estate sale... also check the top to see if there was a possible small metal loop that was there at one time that would have been used to put that small round clip to attach the silk ribbon to. Might have been ground off so look at it with a loop... I dont think so but its possible they were going to be used as press pins..

Mac927
11-30-2014, 05:14 PM
I dont see a spot on the edge of the coins where something might have broken off. As far as the auction is concerned, I will try to get some info about the medallions. Im having fun just researching and trying to find clues! Thank you to everyone for their help so far. I am determined to solve this mystery!