PDA

View Full Version : anyone here see this hank greenberg signed letter???

bostonmarathonman
11-22-2014, 10:19 PM
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=168481

sorry if the link isnt clickable; hopefully someone can fix it for me (thanks in advance!)

this was in legendary's auction that ended the other night: I dont think I've ever seen greenberg sign his name this way; jsa gave it their blessing yet I was skeptical about the odd style and therefore didnt bid. I was thinking maybe it was secretarial but jsa must know something I dont know and maybe he did sign his name this way at times.

has anyone ever seen another similar example of the hebrew hammer's penmanship?????

GoldenAge50s
11-22-2014, 11:26 PM
Doesn't the hg/ns notation indicate the hg was signed by someone w/ the initials ns?

Isn't that the legal/offical/proper notation to make on a letter/document to indicate when someone OTHER than hg signed his name?

bostonmarathonman
11-23-2014, 12:22 AM
Thanks for your reply fred and yes, I noticed that too and wondered about that; I've always wondered what those abbreviations/that terminology meant at the end of a letter and was always under the impression that the letters were abbreviations for words ie I never really entertained the thought they are actually someones initials; you have piqued my interest to further research this subject!

edited to add: maybe in this instance the "ns" isnt someones initials but instead stands for "never signed" ie "hank greenberg Never Signed this letter"!!

7nohitter
11-23-2014, 06:08 AM
That's not Hanks' signature. That designation at the end is an indication that the letter was signed for HG by someone else.

ibuysportsephemera
11-23-2014, 06:56 AM
I agree that this looks secretarial signed. However, the initials at the end indicated who typed the letter, not necessarily who signed it. Many times when a letter is signed by the person who typed the letter, the same initials are placed after the signature.

Jeff

shelly
11-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Not even close.

RichardSimon
11-23-2014, 08:49 AM
I agree that this looks secretarial signed. However, the initials at the end indicated who typed the letter, not necessarily who signed it. Many times when a letter is signed by the person who typed the letter, the same initials are placed after the signature.

Jeff

That is correct, as far as I know.

RichardSimon
11-23-2014, 08:55 AM
Not even close.

+1
This lot has an auction LOA. Does that mean they pass it without looking at it? :confused:

RichardSimon
11-23-2014, 10:43 AM
When you click the "About Us" button on the Legendary site, it takes you to a page which prominently features a convicted felon as part of their organization. So selling a Hank Greenberg TLS which is signed by a secretary is a drop in the bucket for them.

Fred
11-23-2014, 01:06 PM
What's the matter with all of you? Didn't you read the last line of the auction lot description: "Auction LOA from JSA". Now how stupid do you all feel? That's James Frigging Spences LOA were talking about here. Shut the front door.... seriously, do you now believe it's not real? :confused:

Why would someone provide an LOA from something that isn't real? :p

Geesh, what's wrong with people and our hobby today? :eek:

Michael B
11-23-2014, 04:23 PM

Jeff

I also agree with this as that is what I learned many years ago.

Here is an example of a secretarial signature where the person who typed the letter indicated that they were signing for someone else. Brutus Hamilton was a silver medalist in the decathlon at the 1920 Olympics. He was the track coach at U Cal/Berkeley for 33 years.

djson1
11-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I saw this lot on their auction site as well. HG's signature is so easy to distinguish, I really don't get this LOA and auction site passing it. When I saw it, I just thought "Oh well..it's just another one of those things..." :(

Zan
11-27-2014, 09:04 AM
What's the matter with all of you? Didn't you read the last line of the auction lot description: "Auction LOA from JSA". Now how stupid do you all feel? That's James Frigging Spences LOA were talking about here. Shut the front door.... seriously, do you now believe it's not real? :confused:

Why would someone provide an LOA from something that isn't real? :p

Geesh, what's wrong with people and our hobby today? :eek:

Can't tell if you're being serious or not, but an authentication is really just an opinion of an expert if they weren't there when the piece was actually signed. Just the world we live in.

Speaking of the piece and owning 9 Hank Greenberg autographs, this isn't his signature.

RichardSimon
11-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I saw this lot on their auction site as well. HG's signature is so easy to distinguish, I really don't get this LOA and auction site passing it. When I saw it, I just thought "Oh well..it's just another one of those things..." :(

#1 - It is an auction LOA, does anyone know what that means anymore?
#2 - Look at the auction house that auctioned the item, more then one of them will be wearing orange jump suits either already or soon. The only concern they had was having a COA. They auction the cert. not the item.