PDA

View Full Version : Highest Price Ever Paid for a Store Model Bat?

perezfan
11-15-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm wondering if this item in Hunt's this morning represents the most expensive "Retail Bat" (meaning non game-used) ever sold....

http://huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=47&lot_num=1&lot_qual=E

Just an incredible and visually stunning piece that realized well over $50K with the Juice.

What do you all think... Unique Presentation Bat... Salesman's Sample... something else?

gnaz01
11-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Salesman's Sample, STUNNING piece!!!:eek:

MGHPro
11-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Absolutely awesome !

yanks12025
11-15-2014, 03:22 PM
It amazes me who many rich people are stupid with money. They're very cool pieces but in the end they're store model bat/decals. For a lot less than 50k you could buy a full size decal of each player in just as good condition

GoCubsGo32
11-15-2014, 03:30 PM
^ or a very nice car...lol

khkco4bls
11-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Ah. Its alright...:D

perezfan
11-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Well, I'm sure whoever bought it already has at least a few nice cars (and for the same price, this Bat was surely lots tougher to find) ;)

And perhaps the winning bidder simply didn't want to wait the decade or so it would've taken to find each of the individual decal bats in NRMT condition. Plus, it's most likely a one-of-a-kind piece.

I agree the final price was insane... but how do you even put a price on it, given there are no comparable examples?

baseball tourist
11-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Really cool. Try to find another....not gonna happen.

sporteq
11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Incredible bat.. The price is ridiculous!

hcv123
11-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Supply= 1

Demand = 2+ price is reflective of the 2+ wanting that bat more than wanting an extra 50K

I have a few one of a kind items, I wish I could find 2 or more people who would want any of them that much!

PT Barnum I believe once said "A fool and his money are soon parted" - then again "A fool" who has 50k to sink into that bat may not be such a fool - perhaps the fool is me!:eek:

Huysmans
11-16-2014, 07:33 AM
The bat is stunning. But for my money, I could think of a few 19th century trophy bats that I'd sooner have, and for a fraction of the price. 😁

Runscott
11-16-2014, 11:27 AM
I agree the final price was insane... but how do you even put a price on it, given there are no comparable examples?

Exactly. One-of-a-kind with nothing even remotely similar. Six decal bats does not equal one bat with six decals. Also, it could be that the winner is a decal bat collector and has plenty of single-decal bats already. This would be his holy grail.

I can't even think of a similar example involving a different type of collectible. Perhaps the T206 5-card strip with Wagner?

sporteq
11-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Exactly. One-of-a-kind with nothing even remotely similar. Six decal bats does not equal one bat with six decals. Also, it could be that the winner is a decal bat collector and has plenty of single-decal bats already. This would be his holy grail.

I can't even think of a similar example involving a different type of collectible. Perhaps the T206 5-card strip with Wagner?

Maybe having six hot chicks in bed.. Dunno man!

Albert

ooo-ribay
11-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Six decal bats does not equal one bat with six decals. Also, it could be that the winner is a decal bat collector and has plenty of single-decal bats already. This would be his holy grail.

For me, six decal bats would be better that this.....but that's me.

ruth-gehrig
11-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Will the price of this bat increase the demand, and thus price, of single decal bats?

sporteq
11-16-2014, 02:42 PM
For me, six decal bats would be better that this.....but that's me.

And me :D

Albert

ctownboy
11-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Not implying anything but just asking a question: Could this bat have been recently made?

I thought I remembered there being an auction within the last few years that had a sheet/s of really nice condition unused decals. Could someone have bought that sheet/s and then found (or already had) a really nice condition bat and just added the decals? Or, maybe they had an old bat, bought the decals and then refinished/ restored the bat and added the decals.

Just wondering?

Since another bat like this has never been seen and this was a recent find....

David

perezfan
11-16-2014, 06:09 PM
That exact question occurred to me as well. But would the decals retain their tranferability after 100+ years? I don't know... maybe they would? Also, I don't think those particular decals were the exact ones offered on the unused sheets (which were offered in a previous Hunt Auction).

Considering what the unused sheets sold for and the investment involved, it would take a hulluva lot of faith (and skill) to even attempt it :eek:

yanks12025
11-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Not implying anything but just asking a question: Could this bat have been recently made?

I thought I remembered there being an auction within the last few years that had a sheet/s of really nice condition unused decals. Could someone have bought that sheet/s and then found (or already had) a really nice condition bat and just added the decals? Or, maybe they had an old bat, bought the decals and then refinished/ restored the bat and added the decals.

Just wondering?

David

Was thinking the same thing.

MGHPro
11-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Not the same decals.. The sheets had joe jackson on them , and not that version of cobb, plus at least one sheet is still intact for sure.

ksfarmboy
11-16-2014, 07:17 PM
There is another decal bat like this but it had more decals on it. Think it's in the book Baseball Archaeology.

vintagesportscollector
11-16-2014, 09:26 PM

Just wondering?

David

Ditto...I had the exact same thought too. I guess we have a lot skeptics or at least cautious folks on the board - BUT not the same decals and as Perez said it would take some serious risk and some huge rocks to even try it.

http://www.goodwinandco.com/ItemImages/000008/Lot02a_lg.jpeg

http://www.goodwinandco.com/ItemImages/000008/Lot03a_lg.jpeg

btcarfagno
11-17-2014, 06:11 AM
That Ty Cobb batting decal might be one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Tom C

steve B
11-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Plus the decals on the sheets have already been applied.

Old decals are usually usable, I've seen bike decals used that were NOS from the 1920's-30's Not quite as old but close enough. The trick is in knowing if they're water or varnish decals. Use the wrong material and they break up into nothing.

Steve B

Huysmans
11-25-2014, 07:55 AM
I've always found that Wagner decal to be terrible likeness.