PDA

View Full Version : Topps 'Set'

sandmountainslim
11-14-2014, 08:04 AM
I am a collector of the t206 set mainly but I have came up with a side project I am about to embark on. I own no post war cards whatsoever but I intend to buy one card from every Topps set made from 1951-1980 . I'm not going to worry about condition very much so it should be easy to do. rather than put them in top loaders I want to put them in a card album because it would be neat to see the evolution of the cards over the years and all of the changes made. Has anyone else done similar?

tonyo
11-14-2014, 08:58 AM
I did something similar .

Started off trying to get 1 regular issue hofer in every topps and bowman 'base' issue 48 thru 79 for the same purpose you stated: to have in hand the evolution of the cards over the years.

Then that task evolved to collecting at least one of each hofer to play in that period.

Then since I realized I would end up with multiple cards from some years if I collected one of each hofer, my ocd kicked in and I decided to collect 5 cards from each year and attempt to get at least 2 of each hofer.

That track lasted me a year or two, then I read a thread about "topps completionists" in which the OP asked how many people tried to collect every regular issue topps card (something along those lines - here is the thread http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=174273&highlight=completionist) It inspired me to go for my own version of "topps completionism"

So, now my original goal of 1 per year has evolved into "every topps/bowman base set regular issue card of all hall of famers in their active years"

all low grade fair/good/vg as fits my budget

so, be careful!

toppcat
11-14-2014, 10:28 AM
I collect one card from every set Topps put out at retail through 1980, all sports plus non sports. I am getting close on the Baseball and Football, Basketball is essentially done (except for one possible phantom) and Hockey is a work in progress. Boxing and soccer were essentially 1 card and done. Non-sports/mixed needs a lot of work still. If you don't sweat condition, it's relatively easy to get most of them.

I'm thinking about expanding to Bowman as I have examples from all their Baseball and Football issues already and maybe even Gum Inc as it was the same company, just with a different name before the war.

Leon is a type collector (pre-1950) and there are some others here but it's bigger in the UK I think.

ALR-bishop
11-14-2014, 10:35 AM
If you are good with a common in decent condition for each year send me your shipping address and I will get you started

You mentioned 1951. Topps has had a base set from 1952 forward. In 1951 they had 5 "sets". Assume you would be looking for a red or blue back game card for that year ?

I did that Topps run but in sets :-)

sandmountainslim
11-14-2014, 11:04 AM
If you are good with a common in decent condition for each year send me your shipping address and I will get you started

You mentioned 1951. Topps has had a base set from 1952 forward. In 1951 they had 5 "sets". Assume you would be looking for a red or blue back game card for that year ?

I did that Topps run but in sets :-) yes. I want to get either a red or blue back from 1951.thank you for the kind offer! I will send you a message

sandmountainslim
11-15-2014, 02:25 PM
I just discovered the 52-54 are BIGGER cards and may possibly not fit in a binder. Crap, crap , crap!

Bestdj777
11-15-2014, 02:36 PM
I just discovered the 52-54 are BIGGER cards and may possibly not fit in a binder. Crap, crap , crap!

My understanding is that they make 4 card pages, so that is always an option for the first couple of years of the run.

sandmountainslim
11-15-2014, 02:42 PM
My understanding is that they make 4 card pages, so that is always an option for the first couple of years of the run.

I may have to do something like that. Im a complete novice to Post War cards. I had no idea they were bigger. Its what I get for stepping away from T206 for a while!

ALR-bishop
11-15-2014, 03:18 PM
They make 8 pocket pages that are perfect for the 52 to 56 Topps cards. Any local card shop will have them, or you can get them on ebay

campyfan39
11-15-2014, 04:25 PM
52-56 are bigger

sandmountainslim
11-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Im gonna check a card shop for one. I only need one sheet and the cheapest on Ebay are twelve bucks for twenty.
All the other cards in the album are tobacco sized and standard.

campyfan39
11-15-2014, 06:44 PM
send me you address I will send you one if you need it

sandmountainslim
11-15-2014, 06:48 PM
send me you address I will send you one if you need it
Thank u much!

sandmountainslim
11-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Coming along nicely thanks to help from ALRBishop and others :) I now have every year except for the nineties and 00 decade (I have 2010 thru 2014) and I expect to pick the missing years up my next trip to a flea mkt as I assume nineties cards are still going for a giveaway price.
I find myself staring at these cards as often as my T206 cards this week :) Particularly love the 1958 Topps which is a beautiful design. Im glad I took a break from my 'baccer cards long enough to do this. I used to say I had zero interest in post war but now I see what you guys like about them. A lot there I never knew about.

1963Topps Set
11-24-2014, 09:26 PM
My favorite era to collect is the late 1940s to the early 1970s. The card designs are bold and colorful. The players very historic. And many remember putting the sets together when they came out.