PDA

View Full Version : Mid 1920's Yankees Ball with Ruth and strange Gehrig - Opinions Wanted

ATP
11-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Hi Guys,
What do you make of this mid 1920's (25-27 based on Ban Johnson ball type and patent date) Yankees baseball. At first I just dismissed it, as the Lou Gehrig autograph is bizarre, very large and different. Ruth on the sweetspot, as well as some very faded names on a panel that I can't make out. Doesn't help that the best photos I can get are posted below and kind of odd angles, there is also a slight language barrier so am having a hard time communicating with the seller. The age of the ball seems appropriate, but the Gehrig signature so odd. Does anyone have experience with what his earlier career signature, in the sense that it looks different than what I am used to seeing, or is this a clubhouse Gehrig, or something else altogether? Thoughts and opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Jeff

David Atkatz
11-13-2014, 07:40 PM
The Gehrig is certainly no good. Can't see the Ruth well enough to render a judgment.

ATP
11-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks David for the reply. I also agree that the Gehrig is so strange that it really can't be good. FWIW, from what I can see of the Ruth, and I wish I had a better straight on photo, I am leaning towards it being authentic.