PDA

View Full Version : Collectors Lose 10 '52 Topps Mantle Rookies in Fire

HolyGrail
11-13-2014, 08:47 AM
My latest post on Forbes underscores the need to always keep lists. Besides losing his life, this unfortunate collector lost millions of dollars of baseball cards and memorabilia, including 10 rookie Mantles.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2014/11/13/2-4-million-baseball-card-and-memorabilia-collection-destroyed-in-fiery-fatal-plane-crash/

The lesson is to always keep lists of what you own.

David

Volod
11-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Wow, always a scary thing to live under the flight path of a nearby airfield. But, five miles out, you would think you might be safe. Thanks for an interesting and sobering read.

stlcardsfan
11-13-2014, 02:56 PM
I remember that crash. I think I remember the pilots somewhat inexperienced and were complaining about their schedules, pay, etc. right before the plane went down. Very bad weather as I recall.

Exhibitman
11-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Other lessons:

--Doesn't hurt to insure your collection. Forces you to make a list and provides a ready source of compensation if something happens.

--Splitting your collection between different places, like a home and safe deposit box, can mitigate a catastrophic loss. I will never be in a position to know what it is like to own 10 1952 Mantles but if I had ten of anything that valuable and wasn't selling I am pretty sure I'd keep at least five at the bank.

gnpaden
11-15-2014, 12:02 PM
What a wild story! I have my valuable cards spread out in 3 different safety deposit boxes across 3 different banks in the city.