PDA

View Full Version : Walter Johnson?

Runscott
11-12-2014, 12:28 PM
I don't like the looks of this. Thoughts?

http://rrauction.k2imgs.com/content/images/scans/3332/3332975_1.jpg

gnaz01
11-12-2014, 12:40 PM
FWIW, I think it is OK. Have seen similar pages like that.

Runscott
11-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks Greg. At first look I liked it okay, but something didn't feel right. So I started checking letter slant, and I don't like the way the up-stroke on the small letters in 'Johnson' go up sharply - normally the upstroke goes out a little to the right before straightening up. There aren't that many people who change that aspect of their signature.

ATP
11-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Hi Scott,
I think that is the same Johnson that someone here offered this summer if memory serves me. I remember the "W" specifically. If so, it was part of a multi signed program or magazine, with dozens of other signatures, if that helps at all.

daves_resale_shop
11-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Scott,
Here's the one I own, both have to be 33 or later

bigtrain
11-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Hi Scott,
I think that is the same Johnson that someone here offered this summer if memory serves me. I remember the "W" specifically. If so, it was part of a multi signed program or magazine, with dozens of other signatures, if that helps at all.

It appears to be a page from Who's Who in Baseball by Harold "Speed" Johnson, 1933.

Runscott
11-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Scott,
Here's the one I own, both have to be 33 or later

Dave, notice how yours is 'loopy' beginning with the bottom of the 'h', whereas the example I showed is zig-zag (down, then straight diagonal up and to the right). To me that is significant, but perhaps I am wrong.

Runscott
11-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Since initial bids deadline has passed - it's in RR tonight. Good deal if you had faith in it, but I did not.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Duluth Eskimo
11-12-2014, 11:38 PM
This was asked about and featured by the seller with a group of other signed pages within the last year on Net54. He then tried to sell on eBay and I was either the high bidder not meeting the reserve or the under bidder and the seller promptly offered it to me stating the high bidder backed out. It was part of a book with other signed who's who pages as well mostly Cleveland Indians if I remember correctly. I think it is authentic, although the pen tore the paper, but the seller seemed like he was trying to run a scam when he was initially selling so I walked away. Probably would have bid if I saw it. Jason

Runscott
11-13-2014, 08:19 AM
It was being sold in RR as a complete book, and I thought the one offered here was pages removed from the book. I really thought they were two different items.

Here's the auction link: http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=850

Maybe none of the pages sold and he inserted them back into the book? If so, this description isn't accurate:

Signed book: Who’s Who in Major League Baseball. First edition. Chicago: Buxton Publishing Co., 1933. Hardcover, 9 x 11.25, 544 pages. Signed on the portrait on his biographical page in fountain pen, “Walter Johnson.” Also signed on several other pages by fellow players. Interior book pages in fine, clean condition but for collector’s pencil notations throughout updating the ballplayers’ career details, and slight skipping to ink in Johnson’s signature; book in very good condition, with a cracked and loose spine, and dings to edges and corners of the covers. This was the first edition of the Who’s Who ever published and is considered one of the more important baseball books of its era; other versions, released in digest form, would be issued annually until 1955. In addition to the historical importance of the book, signed images of Johnson are scarce and highly sought after. Pre-certified Steve Grad/PSA/DNA and RR Auction COA.

ATP
11-13-2014, 09:24 AM
It was being sold in RR as a complete book, and I thought the one offered here was pages removed from the book. I really thought they were two different items.

Here's the auction link: http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=850

Maybe none of the pages sold and he inserted them back into the book? If so, this description isn't accurate:

Signed book: Who’s Who in Major League Baseball. First edition. Chicago: Buxton Publishing Co., 1933. Hardcover, 9 x 11.25, 544 pages. Signed on the portrait on his biographical page in fountain pen, “Walter Johnson.” Also signed on several other pages by fellow players. Interior book pages in fine, clean condition but for collector’s pencil notations throughout updating the ballplayers’ career details, and slight skipping to ink in Johnson’s signature; book in very good condition, with a cracked and loose spine, and dings to edges and corners of the covers. This was the first edition of the Who’s Who ever published and is considered one of the more important baseball books of its era; other versions, released in digest form, would be issued annually until 1955. In addition to the historical importance of the book, signed images of Johnson are scarce and highly sought after. Pre-certified Steve Grad/PSA/DNA and RR Auction COA.

Scott, here is the original post selling it

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=190106&highlight=Walter

Runscott
11-13-2014, 09:33 AM
I missed that listing!

I think RR did the book a disservice by not listing the other autographs, and providing some scans - it would have seemed much more credible and almost certainly would have brought more (I'm saying that based on all the positive opinions here regarding the Johnson signature).

gnaz01
11-13-2014, 09:34 AM
I think someone got a great deal......