PDA

View Full Version : Black swamp auction schedule

honus94566
11-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Does anybody know the approximate schedule of auctioning off the black swamp find? Seems like it has been about 2 years since they began auctioning, I looked at the HA results and seems like 18 or so Wagners have been sold, but weren't there about 60 found? So maybe 4 more years until they auction them all off?

Hoping to pick up a "lower"graded (relatively speaking, of course) Wagner and maybe a couple other HOFers.

dog*dirt
11-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Dave,
I am not sure of the schedule but i noticed the prices for the PSA 7s of McGraw, Bresnahan and Brown were all $850 and lower if I recall correctly. Although I realize lots of high end cards were found it still seems crazy that you can obtain a nrmt caramel card of a HOFer so cheap.

vintagecpa
11-11-2014, 04:35 PM
I know it is easier said than done, but they would have been better off not announcing the find and auction off a card here and there. It would have taken quite some time before collectors figured out what was happening and for the market to adjust downward. Just imagine what would happen if a similar 1914 CJ collection was found and announced.

11-11-2014, 04:48 PM
I know it is easier said than done, but they would have been better off not announcing the find and auction off a card here and there. It would have taken quite some time before collectors figured out what was happening and for the market to adjust downward. Just imagine what would happen if a similar 1914 CJ collection was found and announced.

There is no way they could've kept the lid on the BSF. A Gem Mint caramel Wags comes out of nowhere? Too many collectors would cry foul.

edhans
11-12-2014, 10:09 AM

What do you think would have happened to their reputation had they sold these without disclosing the magnitude of the find?

bn2cardz
11-12-2014, 10:23 AM
I have been wondering the same. Did they ever announce a timeline? It also seems that they aren't all graded as I have seen the POP reports change on these when I have checked over a few month period.

I am also curious to know if any more miscuts/print errors will be in the lot. I would love to see the Ford that correlates with my Mack. If it exists and it shows up I would like to obtain it.

http://www.whitewhalecards.com/files/card_images/user_cards/c599cc332b14faf0/small/53138ca75ae64_front.jpghttp://www.whitewhalecards.com/files/card_images/user_cards/c599cc332b14faf0/small/53138ca75ae64_rear.jpg

glchen
11-12-2014, 10:47 AM
I believe Heritage originally sent most of the cards to PSA for grading, but later crossed many over to SGC, so hard to say how accurate the pop reports are on this now. I think they have also sold a number of copies via private sale, so not all may make it to auction.

bn2cardz
11-12-2014, 11:19 AM
I believe Heritage originally sent most of the cards to PSA for grading, but later crossed many over to SGC, so hard to say how accurate the pop reports are on this now.

This may make sense since some POP numbers did go down.

gnaz01
11-12-2014, 12:38 PM
There's a PSA 9 Wagner on EBay that is a BSF right now.

Jdoggs
11-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Would be a cool auction.

familytoad
03-19-2015, 07:37 PM
Tonight, I am Watching the FBN show about BSF, they said it was ~800 cards .
This episode is the "out takes" is called unpacked , and they discuss some interesting points about the find on "Strange Inheritances"

One "oops", they ripped a Cy Young in half while doing some of the photography and packing...so would that ~30K card be worth about $100 now?

Still a fascinating story, boggles the mind!

Leon
03-21-2015, 01:52 PM
What do you think would have happened to their reputation had they sold these without disclosing the magnitude of the find?

I believe the Consigning Family and Heritage made the decision on disclosing the find. The family was always adamant about being transparent with the find as they were in fact concerned about people making buying decisions based on what they knew (the sheer quantity) would affect collectors/buyers valuations. I think both have done a great job in liquidating it so far.