PDA

View Full Version : My Top 50...combining greatness, aesthetics, and pragmatism

jason.1969
11-11-2014, 09:46 AM
With my Hank Aaron "Top 50" card collection largely complete and on display, I wanted to create a similar "Top 50" display for my non-Hank Aaron cards. My idea was to attempt to feature the 50 greatest players whose active careers were reflected in sets from 1933-1969. The 1933 cutoff was largely to save money--I didn't even want to think about Cobb, Wagner, Young, Johnson, etc. And the 1969 cutoff was largely to fit my definition of vintage (i.e., older than me!).

The rules of the game would be as follows--

1. No player could be repeated more than once.
2. If the card is ugly, find a different year.
3. Make the most out of the cards I already had. So for example, while I would certainly entertain arguments that Lefty O'Doul, even with his .349 lifetime BA, is not a top 50 player, I already had his 1933 Goudey card--so he was in!
4. There would be some rule or pattern governing which players were grouped together.

Here is the result. Red outlines show cards I still need. And explanations are below the picture.

Row 1: 1933-1948
Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Greenberg, Grove, Ott, Hornsby, and DiMaggio were musts while Wilson and O'Doul earned their place largely by already being part of my collection. At the same time, there aren't other players who are demonstratively much better than either...runners up included Chuck Klein, Al Simmons, and Carl Hubbell.

Row 2: 1951-1954
There's not a strong defining characteristic for players in this row vs. the next one--it largely came down to which cards I already had. However, where there were choices, I tended to opt for older players in this row so that the cards would coincide a bit more with each player's prime. Also a chance to feature some sets I like a lot.

Row 3: 1957
This row features the best Topps set ever and the first one to rely entirely on photographs. My general rule here was that if a superstar had a card in this set, I would do my best to use it. Exceptions include Hank Aaron, whose cards get their own board; Brooks Robinson (due to price); and various Brooklyn Dodgers, who are either already in the row above or in their own team set display.

Row 4: 1963-1964
This row features stars of the 1960s not already represented in the 1957 row. It may someday bother me that all are 1964 except the Koufax. However, I already had this 1963 Koufax and I tend to consider it his most attractive card other than the 1955/1956 issues.

Row 5: 1969
This row features stars of the 1970s and 1980s, the players I grew up watching as a kid. Notable omissions are Brett, Garvey, and Schmidt, three of my all-time favorites. Still, that was the sacrifice I made to keep things vintage. Someday, I may do a 1976 "Top 50" and include the more modern players.

Postscript
There were a handful of players I had a hard time omitting. I'm curious if you see any glaring omissions beyond the ones I list here:

Hubbell/Klein/Simmons
Gaylord Perry - ugly 1969 Topps card, plus loses points as a spitballer
Don Sutton - Tough for me as a Dodgers fan
Billy Williams
Richie Allen
Monte Irvin
Fergie Jenkins

rats60
11-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Postscript
There were a handful of players I had a hard time omitting. I'm curious if you see any glaring omissions beyond the ones I list here:
Hubbell/Klein/Simmons
Gaylord Perry - ugly 1969 Topps card, plus loses points as a spitballer
Don Sutton - Tough for me as a Dodgers fan
Billy Williams
Richie Allen
Monte Irvin
Fergie Jenkins

I would definitely pick Hubbell and Simmons over O'Doul and Wilson. I'd prefer guys who were elected to the HOF by the BBWAA over guys they passed on. Others to consider Paul Waner (only 3000 hit guy of the 20's-40's era), Dizzy Dean, Cochrane, Dickey, Frisch, Gehringer and Traynor.

Same thing with the 50's, guys like Bob Lemon, Robin Roberts, Luis Aparicio or Hoyt Wilhelm over Mize and Doby

I put Billy Williams over Maris in the 64's

I'd leave the 69's as is.

darwinbulldog
11-11-2014, 01:47 PM
I like it. I don't see any glaring omissions. Comparing it with my own list, the best one missing appears to be Phil Niekro.

jason.1969
11-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Great feedback! My selection definitely shows bias toward cards I already have, hence Hack Wilson, Lefty O'Doul, and Larry Doby. In Doby's case, I probably keep him forever due to historical significance and great looking card. With Hack/Lefty, they could easily lose their slots if a Pie Traynor and Mickey Cochrane fell into my lap one day...or if someone not on roids ever drives in 191 runs.

jason.1969
02-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Have made real progress since the original post. Picked up 7 of the 12 I needed. Too bad I still need Ruth, Gehrig, and Joe D!

Am also considering an upgrade on Banks from 1957 to his 1954 RC.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/08/1b26320055d8b1766b5433caa2a252a1.jpg

brian1961
02-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Jason, hey man, if you're happy, I'm happy. Nice selection. You have good taste, no doubt about it. I'm sure each of us would choose based upon where we grew up and the people and things that influenced our lives. Our selections can get very, very personal for reasons only we understand.

For example, I might place in there the 1967 Topps Chris Short. I was a Cubs fan, but I liked Short, and in '67 Topps finally came out with a Short card. I thought it was an exceptionally nice-looking card. Now that's just me, and for those reasons, I'd put him in my top 50, so to speak. I doubt he would be in anyone else's, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, this was a nice project. You must have had a lot of fun puttin' it together. Thanks for sharing, bro.:D ---Brian Powell

jason.1969
02-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Thanks. Here is the actual Top 50 display as it stands today. A handul of placeholder cards but still a nice bunch.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/13/0abbdafd56b545aae2a389f05ff6d4d2.jpg